Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Two kinds of people?

Two kinds of people?

I found myself wondering recently whether people divide into two camps--those that squeal with delight at the thought of anything purple and those that can't begin to imagine ever wanting anything in purple.

It seems that purple is probably the most polarizing color there is in that regard (with the possible exception of pink, which some folks love and others loathe. That may have to do with its associations with a certain kind of girliness.) I seldom hear people express strong opinions about blue, or green, or brown, but purple? I have a colleague who is very vocal about her love for purple--most of her wardrobe and accessories fall into that spectrum. And, until recently, I would have put myself into the "purple? no way!" camp.

My wardrobe has a conspicuous absence of purple. If I were asked, I'd say that I don't look good in purple, that it tends to make me look sallow. But I think that is just an excuse--it doesn't explain the absence of purple in my home décor, in my accessories and jewelry, etc. And it doesn't explain my lack of purple in my rather extensive Tom Bihn collection--I have plenty of colors in my bags, totes, pouches, and straps, but until recently, no purple. So the love of others for plum was a mystery to me. The excitement over UV dyneema left me cold. And aubergine in ballistic? No allure for me.

But the pull of a Tom Bihn bag? Now that was gravitationally strong enough to overcome my aversion to purple. My first foray was the purchase of a plum cordura ristretto a couple years ago--it was the only color in stock, so I bit. It's a really nice bag, but once I made my steel and cork Imago my everyday carry, the plum ristretto got gifted without any trace of regret to my daughter. (And she is definitely a purple person.)

It was the news that the Imago was being discontinued that led to my purple epiphany. I realized after a bit that I couldn't take the chance that the Imago replacement would be as perfect for my purposes as the Imago, so I needed a backup Imago. And by then, the only choice was aubergine/hemp. I admit it, I hesitated. Would I really use a purple bag as an everyday bag, or would it be another plum ristretto situation where I'd end up not using it and giving it away?

I started to carry the aubergine Imago to work. Definitely purple, but a kind of rich, slightly reddish, jewel-toned purple. Come to think of it, a beautiful, life-affirming, sassy kind of color. What at first was my tolerance of the aubergine turned into a warm appreciation. And then, I bought an olive and UV Side Effect. And you know what? The UV started to speak to me, too. Me, a card-carrying anti-purple person was seduced over the line into the purple-appreciating clan.

I knew the transformation was complete today when I had to order a couple of outfits for a trip I'm planning. And I realized that a purple mockneck sweater was the perfect complement for a jacket I was planning to take. So, the transformation is complete. I will soon have a purple item in my clothing repertoire, and can no longer call myself a purple-hater, or even purple-indifferent. Maybe next time a purple Tom Bihn item appears, it will be me squealing with delight. Stranger things have happened...
    Last edited by flitcraft; 03-02-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Grammar, we got grammar...
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

OMG, flitcraft, you have an AUBERGINE Imago?!?! Color me purple with envy
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Purple is quiet but determined. Over time it will win you over to the correct side of the color wheel. You know purple socks are brilliant, right?
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I had some thoughts on purple myself the last one and a half year, and this was my conclusion: I NEVER had any purple (and no pink ether for what it matters). Than I went to a color-advicer (don't know how to say that in english: it is someone who finds out which colors best to wear for someones complection). She said: blue, pink and purple. That was, when I started to think about this dreaded color.
    I found out, that I hate it because of my age (I am 41 now). When I was younger two kinds of woman whore purple: Old Ladys and "Emanzen" (don't know that one in english eather, but it is a women who fights fiercely for woman rights). When I realized this, I tried to look at this color more objectivly and it worked well for me. I have quite some purple items in my wardrobe now and I think it looks great on me.

I don't know if any of you can relate to this, but I thought I share.

Welcome to The Federation!

These are the people of the Tom Bihn enterprise, their continuing mission to explore new ways of putting seams together, seek out new parts and new fabrics to boldly go when no Bag has gone before.

I am deeply pleased at finding an afficionada of that perfect and so varied balance of blue and red, as much as Mr Spock would be to find a human who is perfectly logical.

Would you and everyone mind showing their support for UV in this informal poll?

http://www.tombihn.com/forums/just-r...-showdown.html

I can't vote twice.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I am not shure what happened to my post, so I try again, after waiting fife minutes if it might still come up, so here it is again:

@ Backpack: I'd better not vote so I won't spoil the outcome for you. As much as I like that UV color on the outside, I found, that I do not like it so much on the inside. I have a S19 in Steel/UV and find it too dark on the inside. As where my S25 in nordic/solar is perfect for finding everything even in low light situations. And I have to say: I would never carry a yellow bag (the yellow being on the outside) with me.
    But I would love to see a Synapse in UV as the exterior color!!! I have seen pictures here somewhere and I am a little green with jealousy.

Ilkyway

Another purple-lover here - my entire bedroom is shades of purple (as you might have guessed from the lilac duvet cover in my Massive Haul post!).

For me the "never ever" colour is yellow. I don't mind it on walls (I'm planning butter-yellow walls in our poorly lit stairwell, to give it a sunny feel), but otherwise I tend to avoid it. No solar linings for me!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

There is only purple and yellow listed. What if we don't like purple OR yellow?

I'm a strictly red, black, or cream gal. No other colors; although I love textures (but again, no color). My favorite "fabric" is cork!!!
    Last edited by Melissa; 03-02-2014 at 01:24 PM.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    While I do like purple (plum ristretto - sadly stolen by MrDaisy, aubergine SE, various UV bits and pieces) - I'm not partial to it (or solar) with Nordic. Iberian I think would work but I surprise myself by saying perhaps I'd go for steel lining in a nordic bag...

I did stand back from my wardrobe a couple of years ago and notice that pretty much the entire thing was purple toned.
    List under construction ....

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    OMG, flitcraft, you have an AUBERGINE Imago?!?! Color me purple with envy
    I have an aubergibe/hemp/steel imago I am seriously considering selling. Flaps are not for me...but it does match my 20" roller bag....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Volunteer Moderator
    This discussion thread has strangely devolved from an original expression for the appreciation of bags made in purple shades such as Aubergine to a vote in a poll ostensibly for the purposes of supporting UV Dyneema.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Welcome to The Federation!

Would you and everyone mind showing their support for UV in this informal poll?

http://www.tombihn.com/forums/just-r...-showdown.html
    First of all, the poll that Jeff A set up was to canvas opinions for a Nordic Medium Cafe Bag he was considering buying. He had already decided, based on previous pictures and discussion in the forum, that he wanted to try a 400d Nordic Dyneema bag, and based both on what he might be able to use, and also afford, was considering the Medium Cafe Bag. Because the Solar Dyneema interior just became available as an option, he wanted to hear opinions about UV vs Solar as an interior for the Medium Cafe bag in combination with Nordic.

This is not a poll that is meant to show the general desirability of UV Dyneema, or that everyone feels it should be used in all Nordic bags, (although I know it's a very popular color combination with some forum members). It was simply a poll to provide Jeff A with feedback about the two possible color options currently available for a particular bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I am not shure what happened to my post, so I try again, after waiting fife minutes if it might still come up, so here it is again:

@ Backpack: I'd better not vote so I won't spoil the outcome for you. As much as I like that UV color on the outside, I found, that I do not like it so much on the inside. I have a S19 in Steel/UV and find it too dark on the inside. As where my S25 in nordic/solar is perfect for finding everything even in low light situations. And I have to say: I would never carry a yellow bag (the yellow being on the outside) with me.
    But I would love to see a Synapse in UV as the exterior color!!! I have seen pictures here somewhere and I am a little green with jealousy.

Ilkyway
    @Ilkyway as a new user your first few posts are subject to moderation, so they only appear when a moderator has seen them and approved them. That means that someone who is a forum moderator has to be online and reading your post at the time it shows up. and in the case of your post, for some reason the initial "approve" action didn't take the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post

I'm a strictly red, black, or cream gal. No other colors; although I love textures (but again, no color). My favorite "fabric" is cork!!!
    @Melissa, see my original comments about the nature of this poll being a specific question to help Jeff A decide between two particular bag options. For what it's worth, I consider there to be a couple of different issues here. The first is the kinds of color combinations that we like and that work well together -- sometimes these may be unexpected combinations like Olive/Ultraviolet. The second is the issue of bag usability and visibility of the interior in certain bags -- the point that Ilkyway made. (And Melissa, I do personally think that Black/Iberian is an awesome color combination.)

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    While I do like purple (plum ristretto - sadly stolen by MrDaisy, aubergine SE, various UV bits and pieces) - I'm not partial to it (or solar) with Nordic. Iberian I think would work but I surprise myself by saying perhaps I'd go for steel lining in a nordic bag...
    @daisy Yes, Nordic and Steel actually do work well together as colors. The reason that I've been pushing for the availability of lighter/contrasting colors with Nordic Dyneema ever since it was introduced is exactly because some people find certain bags unusable unless the interior color is light/bright enough to provide good contrast. And we're not talking simply about color preferences, but the fact as Ilkyway mentions that the interior color impacts bag usability. This is somewhat dependent on the type of bag. An open tote bag like the Swift or Little Swift gets enough lighting so that a steel lining is OK. A Western Flyer that unzips fully, and that you lay open, or where you will be using other organizer pouches or cubes, or where you are packing large clothing items that would contrast against the grid is also OK to use with a steel Dyneema interior, although even with a Tri-Star where there is a central compartment I prefer a lighter interior. And the color contrast of Ultraviolet or Iberian may be enough to make that workable. But in large, cavernous bags like the Smart Alec and even the Synapse 25, not having a light interior is going to seriously impact the usability of the bag for a section of users. I actually suggested either Nordic/Solar or Nordic/Wasabi as first choice options or Nordic/Iberian or Nordic/Ultraviolet as providing contrast. I do think that Solar works for the people who need maximum visibility even though I agree that other colors work with Nordic.

And the preferred interior color also depends on how you're using these bags. If I'm carrying loose pens in a Cafe Bag, I might prefer Ultraviolet over the visibility of Solar.

Just my thoughts.

moriond

@ moriond: Thank you for explaining, I thought I might have done something wrong. I understand the need of you reading my posts first, so I wound wonder again, where my post might be.

As for the purple: I LOVE that TB bags come in "girls"-colors too. My Aubergine SE looks so classy I feel it does never look out of place unless the event is getting REALY dressy. And there is something else about Aubergine: I do not like black. I think black is a very harsh color that does by far suit much less people as there are out there loving black. (Who ever is reading this and loving black: I am sure you are one of the small group of people who look realy good in black!). That said I think the aubergine does look good with the black of the straps and zippers.

If I could wish for colors here I would wish for non black backpannels and shoulder straps (gray would be my choice, because it goes with everything without standing out so much) but to make my point once more: I think aubergine and black are a very beautiful match.

As it is nearly midnight in Germany I have to sleep now,
    I love this forum full of people talking about my favorite topic: bags!

Banned
    purple is the color of epilepsy awareness and sudep...as far back as i can remember i have always had something purple around me...i wish more bags had aubergine/plum combos available as well as more solar/ultraviolet linings...

this may sound strange but as a guy i love yellow shirts and pink shirts...

pink is the most manly color of all...undyed fabrics were all that were available to everyone other than nobility...soldiers wore white tunics which would get stained with blood and later washed usually by nuns and they would turn pink in the wash...

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    For me the "never ever" colour is yellow. I don't mind it on walls (I'm planning butter-yellow walls in our poorly lit stairwell, to give it a sunny feel), but otherwise I tend to avoid it. No solar linings for me!
    I agree. And I also painted our bedroom a buttery shade of yellow and it is quite cheering in grey Seattle, I must say.
    enjih likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0