Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Perfect Packing Cube for S19

Yes, but you cannot fill the end cube too full as it is a bit long for the WF.

Sue
    Synapse 19, Co-pilot, Travel Tray, PCSB, Western Flyer, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

I just got the Aeronaut End Packing Cube and tried it out in my Synapse 19. Yes, it fits very well! This is brilliant. It would definitely let you take a full change of clothes and still have plenty of room left for other items on the top part of the backpack, as well as extra room in the lower pocket.

@readmore, I do have a packing cube shoulder bag. I tried it out, with clothes inside. Yes, it fits in the top part of the backpack, and it can be packed full, but not SO full that the edges can not be squeezed a little, because the Synapse narrows at the top. Even with both cubes inside, the Synapse is not too stuffed and keeps its slim shape. However, my preference would probably be to use the top space for smaller items, like pouches or organizer cubes, but the shoulder bag would definitely work.

Quote Originally Posted by readmore View Post
    I tried with both, and they both work fine! I stuffed them both pretty full, but they were full of clothes, which sort of squished nicely into shape. I also tried to stack them on top of each other, which did not work as well. As you know, the Synapse narrows as it goes up, so the fit is much less good. I think an End Packing Cube on bottom and a PCSB cube on top would be a nice combo - wish I had a PCSB so I could test out my theory!
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I'll be able to try it out myself in May when I go get my new Black AND Nordic Dyneema PCSBs. And a couple other Black and Nordic goodies as well. :-)

Volunteer Moderator
    I'm not sure whether this will help anyone, since the Kit has already been retired, but I've always found this to be a conveniently shaped bag to carry at the top of my Synapse (sometimes upside down), because its triangular shape fits the tapering dimensions at the top of the bag where the Synapse narrows. Most people seem to have used this for toiletries, or as a "Dopp Kit", but I've used this for the same sorts of things that I put into the 3D organizer cubs. Plus, if there are items that might roll placed in the Kit, the broad, flat bottom assures they won't.

And the Kit in Kiwi looks great with Indigo, Plum, Navy, Nordic, Aubergine, Black, etc.

moriond

Does the PCSB fit in the bottom pocket of the S25?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I was going to ask the same question . . .

Inquiring minds want to know!
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

I'm going to guess that it can, since I know that a WF small PC will fit in the front as long as it's not overpacked.

Sorry I don't have a PCSB to test it for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachiyaku View Post
    Does the PCSB fit in the bottom pocket of the S25?
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    I was going to ask the same question . . .

Inquiring minds want to know!
    If you're talking about the bottom front pocket of the Synapse 25, yes, you can put a filled PCSB in there. However, it will bulge into the main compartment. So if you are trying to pack the main compartment of the Synapse 25 efficiently, you'd be better off using the thinner and less tall Tri-Star Small packing cube in the front pocket. On the other hand, if you're using the Synapse 19, the PCSB will fit into the bottom of the main compartment and not bulge forward into the front pocket.
    Tri-Star Small Packing Cube dimensions: 12.8" x 7.4" x 2.4"/ 325 x 188 x 60mm
    PCSB: 11.75" x 7.75" x 3"
    Western Flyer Small Packing Cube: 11.7" x 8.6" x 3" / 298 x 218 x 75mm
    Aeronaut end cube: 13.4" x 7.9" x 3.1"

The Tri-Star Small Packing cube is the thinnest (2.4" vs. 3") of these options, as well as being less tall (7.4" vs. 7.75"-8.6")

We got into a digression/semi-thread jack about this topic that you can read about in @lacyfinn's thread about using her Packing Cube Shoulder Bag for a 3-week trip to the UK (with beautiful pictures of that bag on Hadrian's Wall!). You can read my post about packing cube sizes for the Synapse 25 front pocket.. Also, read @Badger's helpful posts about the Western Flyer small packing cube a few posts above that.

HTH.

moriond

I will add that the large Pilot packing cube will fit in the main compartment of the S19, but barely, particularly if it's stuffed.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecturist View Post
    I will add that the large Pilot packing cube will fit in the main compartment of the S19, but barely, particularly if it's stuffed.
    Yes, the issue with the fit here is the tapered (non-rectangular) nature of the main compartment of the Synapse 19 in accommodating the rectangular shape of the large Pilot packing cube:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397598593.967781.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  11.3 KB

This picture (that I believe Darcy originally supplied) used to appear on the Synapse product page (and in some forum post links), but the source location was moved, and it only shows up now as a broken link. I grabbed this from the early Practical Hacks review of the Synapse, but the image originates from the Tom Bihn product pages. It's useful to see this, so I've added this back here.

moriond
    Ilkyway likes this.

A couple of questions, just because I don't own a Synapse (ScottE22's recent video made me curious)...

1: A packing cube, of any kind, is just a container to keep packed items from sloshing around inside your luggage, right? If so, wouldn't the larger sizes of the Tom Bihn Travel Stuff Sack, and/or the Travel Tray, offer some useful possibilities as mini-packing cubes in this circumstance?

2: Moriond's graphic, shown upthread, shows overall dimensions of the Synapse 19, but are there any stats that go into more detail, like showing the width at the top of the main compartment and across the middle area?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

I'd have to take a tape measure to my S19 to answer your second question, but as for the first, I think it basically comes down to your preferred packing style and to some extent, what you want to pack. From my limited experience, packing cubes work best when completely filled with flat rectangular items (e.g. folded shirts/t-shirts/etc), whereas travel stuff sacks are better for more random-shaped items and also seem to be better when not overstuffed, as they can then be squished into spare corners.

I bought packing cubes for my Tri-Star, but didn't bother to get ones specifically for my Western Flyer. This weekend I'm taking the WF on a 3d/2n trip and trialling using the TS medium PC for outerwear plus a large stuff sack for undies and PJs, as the two fit nicely side by side in the WF's main compartment.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    On their way: DLBP, 3DFOCs, another YSS!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    A couple of questions, just because I don't own a Synapse (ScottE22's recent video made me curious)...

1: A packing cube, of any kind, is just a container to keep packed items from sloshing around inside your luggage, right? If so, wouldn't the larger sizes of the Tom Bihn Travel Stuff Sack, and/or the Travel Tray, offer some useful possibilities as mini-packing cubes in this circumstance?

2: Moriond's graphic, shown upthread, shows overall dimensions of the Synapse 19, but are there any stats that go into more detail, like showing the width at the top of the main compartment and across the middle area?
    In the Synapse 19, 3D Cubes and Clear Quarter Packing Cubes fit the main compartment. The 2 smallest Travel Stuff Sacks fit in the side pockets.

Your Large Clear Pouch lightweight briefcase setup will fit in the main compartment of the Synapse 19 and of course the Synapse 25.
    It is the other things you take, for example, the size of your laptop or the need to carry around a 3 rings binder which will dictate which of the Synapse is best for you.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post

There are a few reasons why it's difficult to quote exact dimensions for each part and compartment of the Synapse. One of the main reasons you hear so many people describe the Synapse as a TARDIS bag or a "black hole" is that Tom has designed this bag so that it flexes, and adjusts the relative size and shapes of the compartments to fit their contents. This means that someone who carries lots of cables and accessories in the front bottom pocket of the bag, will be able to use that compartment for that purpose, while someone who uses relatively little space in the bottom front pocket, but fully uses the main center compartment of the bag, will also find that the bag works great for him or her.

Another way to explain this is to say that the outline sketch graphic shows the back profile of the empty Synape 19. But if you look at the pictures of the back of the bag that I posted in the New backpack strap placement for Synapse 19? you'll see that area of the back that is reinforced with Dri-Lex mesh foam, and that rests against your back, occupies most, but not all, of the back, and is not even rectangularly shaped. To either side of the backpack straps are sections of a lighter material. Even the bottom padded section at the back of the Synapse can flex up, while the main Dri-Lex foam support rests directly against the user's back. What this means is that if you're carrying something wide and flat, in a nearly empty backpack, the shape of the Synapse will accommodate that. As you fill the bag with books or papers, those lighter sections of the backing flex forward, as part of the side of the backpack, to give you more volume in the main compartment. Similarly, the bottom padded section of the bad can flex up to both support the added contents and give more space. I'm oversimplifying, because this scheme is also coordinated with the design boundaries of the front side pockets and front central water bottle pocket, which can also adjust according to the contents. Meanwhile, the main support section of the backpack's Dri-Lex mesh foam always remains in contact with the user's back.

This means that the Synapse will not be optimal for certain usages: if you need a mainly single compartment bag with maximum capacity, and a heavy foam bottom, you're better off getting a Smart Alec. That amount of foam reinforcement doesn't lend itself to the flexing and adjustment that you can achieve in the multiple compartment Synapse. BUt if you're wondering why so many people manage to find the Synapse their "ideal bag" for so many different configurations and usages -- even multiple usages by the same person -- this is the reason. As far as carrying a laptop, I find the Synapse 19 is ideally sized and designed for the Mac 13" laptop series, which when carried in a cache. reinforces the central backpack area.

This bag design also goes part way towards answering why not just use stuff sacks of some kind for all bags instead of packing cubes. The main reason that I use packing cubes designed for the travel bags is that I find I can get a lot more packed in with packing cubes that are sized for and designed for most of these bags. However, if you just stuff sacks in every bag compartment, you're likely to arrive at something duffel-shaped, which is not the optimum carrying shape for the bag. If you want to see what the inside of the Synapse 19 can carry if you use this to carry items in packing cubes, you can take a look at some of the pictures in the Kindle Paperwhite? Which pouch do you use? thread. That shows some of the contents I can put into the Synapse 19 with various packing cubes. It doesn't even show anything put into the bottom front pocket. (Sorry for forum browsers, but that post is in the "Just for Registered Members" section of the forums, since that's where the original question was posted.

HTH. moriond
    Janine likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0