View Poll Results: Luggage Locks

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nah, wouldn't use one.

36 42.86%
  • I would use one, but they don't work with my bag.

18 21.43%
  • I always use a luggage lock and make sure to get bags that they work with.

30 35.71%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Poll: Luggage Locks

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Poll: Luggage Locks

Just curious how important luggage locks are to y'all…
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Not super important. If I have to check a bag I lock it but I rarely check bags anymore.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel • BB • S25 in black dyneema • S19 in black/iberian • LCB in steel parapack/iberian • CP in navy ballistic/solar • Swift in steel dyneema • LS in Aubergine • SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar • TTs • various pouches/key straps/YSSs • iPad mini cache • LSBs, SSBs • PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema • 360mm Quiver •

Volunteer Moderator
    hi darcy!

what do you think about this lock design? - where the two metal zipper pulls come together and click into either side of the lock. so the lock has two openings that take the ends of the zipper. to release, you insert and turn the key in the middle of the lock.

thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

For a big trip I do check a bag - which has a lock, and I would always select a locking bag.

For a carry-on bag it would be nice to be able to lock sometimes when on trains or when it needs to be in a plane overhead away from my seat ... I try to keep my valuable things with me but flight attendants sometimes decide a bag needs to be in an overhead at the last minute and just stuff it anywhere.
    List under construction ....

I don't use them but I love bags with zippers, I can always thread the TB Cord Zipper Pull to make it easier to close the zipper.

I use them with my Field Journal Notebook whose cute, small, perfectly sized for it became hard to zip fast. I used a Small Key Strap in Plum but those cute TB Cord Zipper Pulls are just perfect, they blend in because they are not too big and make zipping in and out the FJN a snap.

I received the Cord Zipper Pulls with my Tristar and Aeronaut and might place them there so need an extra pack.

Additionaly, I might need, one day, to leave a bag where I'd rather have it locked.

Any made in the U.S.A luggage lock which work with keys.

If you check a bag and lock it, airline can destroy lock to open it.

The only time I use luggage locks is when leaving my bag with the hotel front desk or porter, either after checking out but still needing to hang around for meetings or conventions, or when my room is not ready upon arrival and I want to go explore. Instead of luggage locks, please, please work on luggage tags. I would LOVE to buy some TB tags!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by WMW40 View Post
    If you check a bag and lock it, airline can destroy lock to open it.

Hmmm,
    Not if you use a TSA approved lock. (They have a master key that they could open it if need be. )

And yes, when I travel with checked bags I always use such a lock.
    (it's built into my luggage - combo lock with TSA override key)

I also lock the bags if I leave them at the hotel storage room,
    if I'm checking out before leaving that town or city or arriving early.
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 01-30-2014 at 08:17 PM.

I would like to be able to lock up a bag if I had to check it in (using a TSA approved lock), left with the front desk at a hotel, or even if putting it in an overhead compartment on a plane or train.

Given they're fabric bags, it's probably a deterrent more than anything else (if a person really wanted to steal stuff in the bags they could cut into them, I assume ballistic would fare best in that test).

I was thinking along the lines of the lockable zippers as mentioned in this article on OBOW: How To Series: Step Three--Choosing a*Bag - OBOW Blog - One-bag, carry-on, light travel tips, techniques, and gear.

I think a carabiner, keystrap or equivalent to secure zippers would be sufficient while carrying the bags on the move.

I use locks on my bags when leaving bags in my hotel room. It doesn't absolutely prevent theft by staff, but it's a psychological deterrent. There is no sense in making things too easy or providing too much opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

This is probably sacrilegious putting a RedOxx link in a TB forum post, but RedOxx makes a nifty cable lock for $1.00. I use these on my carry-on in the overhead on long-haul flights. Just gives peace of mind when sleeping.
    http://www.redoxx.com/Cool-Luggage-A...00/170/Product

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    WMW40 and UK-Limey like this.

Thank you for this. As someone who doesn't check bags, I am not up to date on such technologically. I'll order one from Amazon this morning in case I'm ever forced to check a bag. Although I do wonder with hundreds of people (presumably) with this master key, how hard it would be for a thief to obtain one. But as others have stated, these locks are more a deterrent rather than a guarantee of security...and I guess they give some peace of mind. Is there more chance of an airline losing checked luggage than it being stolen or some of its contents robbed? Even in my old overpacking days of checked luggage, I never put electronics or anything of value in the checked bags. But I guess given the stories that pop up about airline and airport employees rummaging through bags for valuables, many customers must still check items that are of value to thieves.

As I was researching which TSA approved lock to purchase, I'm getting lots of stories about TSA agents cutting the locks or bags to get into the bags rather than having to go and find the TSA master key which (it seems) there are not a lot of. Anyone have this problem? I'm also reading (not sure what to believe) that foreign travel with the TSA approved locked can be problematic as well. The last time I got stuck checking a bag was when I exceeded the stricter carry on maximum for Swiss Air. Do foreign airlines accept the TSA lock? I could care less if they cut through a lock but not sure I'd want to risk damage to my bag. If I'm ever forced to check bags, I'd probably send through without a lock.

It is important and would be great to have a locking facility on TB bags.

Poll: Luggage Locks

My advice, if you check your bag, just use a zip tie and not a cable and/or lock. You are correct that they just cut them off, or they get caught in the belts and damage your bag. The plastic zip tie can be cut off easily by them and by you with a small (approved) finger nail clipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    flaneuse and WMW40 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0