View Poll Results: Luggage Locks

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nah, wouldn't use one.

36 42.86%
  • I would use one, but they don't work with my bag.

18 21.43%
  • I always use a luggage lock and make sure to get bags that they work with.

30 35.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Poll: Luggage Locks

The TSA will just cut them off. Even if it is a TSA-approved lock. Sorry, but that's the reality. It's happened to me.
    I do not put valuable things in my checked luggage, just clothes and sometimes toiletries. Any electronics, medications or personal items go in my carry-on.
    flaneuse and WMW40 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blarson94 View Post
    This is probably sacrilegious putting a RedOxx link in a TB forum post, but RedOxx makes a nifty cable lock for $1.00. I use these on my carry-on in the overhead on long-haul flights. Just gives peace of mind when sleeping.
    Red Oxx Luggage Cable Lock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I agree, the RedOxx cable lock gives just that small, extra level of security for a carry-on. No need to mess about with keys.
    TB & RedOxx products work well together; I use a RedOxx Lil-Roy inside my Tri-Star.
    Both companies produce great bags of superior quality !
    WMW40 likes this.

I always carry two levels of lock at a minimum and always keep everything locked unless it is on my person. ALWAYS!

I have been attempted pick pocketed a few times and any lock keeps that to a non-event I think.

If I am forced to check bags it is not planned usually and I make the decision at the time whether to use TSA locks or real locks and they have indeed hacked both styles off before to me. Don't know why as they claim that won't happen with the TSA locks but it has a few times?
    I figure if they see a big Master lock and decide not to open it then I am ahead of the game and if they do chop it off it is not usually a huge deal anyway.

I really try to not check anything ever though.
    They also usually will stick a notice inside the bag if they have been in there but not always for sure?

If I am carrying tools somewhere I will try to Fedex them ahead of me both ways in Pelican cases with stout locks and so far I have only had an issue doing so one time in 20 years or so. It is expensive but I don't pay for it anyway,my client does if needed.

I know I will never suggest anyone carrying tools through the Airport since 9/11! Take my word on this one.

Also let me say that I sort of appreciate the searches on some level even if they break my locks.
    At least they seem to be paying attention!

The body scanning on the other hand.......
    Last edited by AVService; 01-31-2014 at 05:30 AM.
    Melissa likes this.

No locks here. Since I've learned to one-baggit, I keep everything with me. For security, though, I would like to see an optional strap for separate purchase that has some type of steel threading or something that would make it difficult to cut. (I've had a cross body shoulder bag cut though the strap and stolen while jostled in a crowd and my attention was on the Lions at a MGM in Las Vegas.)
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

I like to be able to lock my bags, even if I don't check them. I'd rather folks not rifle through my stuff in transit or in the hotel room.

I don't see the point in using locks on zippered luggage, checked or not. (for clamshell cases with tools, etc., its a different story). To deter any sneaky attempts to tug a zipper, I either interlace the cord zipper pulls or use an S-biner to connect two or four metal zipper pulls on the 'ole WF.
    WMW40 likes this.
    > SIQUID WESTERN FLYER NON CAPIT, DOMI RELINQUENDUM EST.

Western Flyer (ballistic backpack), MCB (parapack/dyneema), Pilot (ballistic), Cache (6Z), Travel Tray, Packing Cube (WF large), Pouches (clear, dyneema, cork, padded, large, small, medium, mini, nano), Pocket Pouch, Absolute Strap (curved), Tri-Power Whistle, a bunch of Key Straps (8" and 16")

Volunteer Moderator
    if you'll indulge a bit of fantasizing - imagine a camera that connects via wifi/cell/satellite. this camera is embedded into your bag in an inconspicuous manner. if one tries to open your bag without first disabling a security mechanism, which involves a fingerprint scan on your smart phone and communication between the phone and the security mechanism via bluetooth, the camera starts recording and transmitting audio and video via whatever connection it can establish. the feed goes to a central server. you get a text message, email, and push notification on your smart phone. if you see it's your child getting at your stash of european chocolates, you can choose to intervene or let him enjoy it. or if you see that it's someone going into your bag that shouldn't, you can push a button to have the video uploaded to the appropriate law enforcement agency, along with coordinates of your bag. or, when you get the alert, you can send an audio message to the intruder.

sorry, couldn't resist - thanks for indulging me.
    -m

I won't buy a bag unless there is a way to secure the zippers either with an official lock addition or at least with metal zipper pulls that have holes.

Sadly, I've been getting reports of thefts from bags in the overhead bins of airplanes. No one really pays attention to people getting things out of their luggage in the overheads. How easy it is for someone to act as if they are getting something from their bag and rifle through the one next to them especially if the person owning that bag is not able to keep an eye on it.

Additionally, even if your bag is on your back, you are vulnerable.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    if you'll indulge a bit of fantasizing - imagine a camera that connects via wifi/cell/satellite. this camera is embedded into your bag in an inconspicuous manner. if one tries to open your bag without first disabling a security mechanism, which involves a fingerprint scan on your smart phone and communication between the phone and the security mechanism via bluetooth, the camera starts recording and transmitting audio and video via whatever connection it can establish. the feed goes to a central server. you get a text message, email, and push notification on your smart phone. if you see it's your child getting at your stash of european chocolates, you can choose to intervene or let him enjoy it. or if you see that it's someone going into your bag that shouldn't, you can push a button to have the video uploaded to the appropriate law enforcement agency, along with coordinates of your bag. or, when you get the alert, you can send an audio message to the intruder.

sorry, couldn't resist - thanks for indulging me.
    I sell this but the Children are thankfully not included!

Locks seem to provide more of a visual deterrent than anything. As has been noted, bags can be cut and it is fairly easy to separate a coil zipper (which most bags seem to have) with a pen. Most people looking to steal unobtrusively will look for something that requires less time and effort. If someone is serious about theft, they will likely get what they want. I use TSA approved locks on occasion when I have to check or gate check a bag. I guess I have been lucky in that TSA has never destroyed one of the locks. The main reason I use them when checking or gate checking a bag is to keep the zipper closed. I do like the Red Oxx cable locks since they do what I want/need them to do, and I don't have to keep track of a key.
    spamjam and WMW40 like this.

Took an overseas trip to Spain and Italy (carry-on only, a backpack) and used split-ring key rings to connect the zipper pulls. Very cheap, multiple sizes, easy on/off--thank you Rick Steves! I made sure to use the sternum strap and hip belt, however, to minimize the chance that the entire bag could be quickly pulled off of me.

Worked great, but then the pack was always with me. Not a great solution for an unattended bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Just curious how important luggage locks are to y'all…
    I think it is important specially when I am carrying my bag in backpack mode on the streets!

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Orders shipped! Waiting for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 arrival! ETA: August 29!!

i carry zip ties and a nail clipper and if i get gate checked then I add them to the bag.
    KmK and eWalker like this.
    Co-Pilot black/steel, Swift olive/linen/steel, Little Swift black/black/uv

Sadly, I've been getting reports of thefts from bags in the overhead bins of airplanes.

If forced to use the overhead I always try to use one a row ahead of me and on the opposite side. I can, or think I can, keep a better eye on it.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Sadly, I've been getting reports of thefts from bags in the overhead bins of airplanes.

If forced to use the overhead I always try to use one a row ahead of me and on the opposite side. I can, or think I can, keep a better eye on it.
    Moose
    Yup, I do the same. I think it is much more practical to put your luggage on the opposite side if it is open.
    eWalker likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0