Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Regarding "Backorders"

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    Pursuit of a more multipurpose one-bag was what first directed me to Tom Bihn, most of my waffling had to do with returning to that inspiration. The cadet would be better replacement of my current bag, but I think the Western Flyer would satisfy about 80% of all my travel needs, and the perceived "bulk" I was afraid of for EDC wasn't so problematic after I measured some of my old briefcases. The top-to-bottom measurement of the WF is the same as the bag I use for the W530 now, so I'm willing to try it (it's a much smaller bag, too). The Steel/Iberian had me sold!
    The main difference between the Western Flyer and the Tri-Star (that many are using for laptop carry, and yes, I have both bags) is that the central compartment of the Tri-Star doesn't unzip all the way, so you can insert items (like a Cadet or laptop in a cache) without worrying about the bag holding the laptop fall out when you open the compartment. With the Western Flyer, the back compartment used for the laptop unzips all the way around, so the compartment can be entirely opened. If you secure your laptop within a cache with rails that clips to the walls, or if you put it into a Brain Cell (hard-backed and reinforced case) that clips to back compartment of the Western Flyer, then the laptop is held in place even when the back compartment is entirely opened and unzipped. (I have a Brain Cell that I can use with my Lenovo T60p laptop in the Western Flyer).

I'm not sure which is the ideal sized cache (or Brain Cell) for the W530 laptop that you have. (It did fit beautifully in the Cadet. Sorry not to be able to provide a picture, but I could only snatch up my colleague's W520 and try it in when he took a bathroom break -- I couldn't actually "borrow" the laptop indefinitely to take pictures in the Cadet.)

I do think you'll like the Western Flyer. You probably don't need an Absolute Strap for your size and the weight of the bag (with the backpack straps), but it's a terrific option to use with all your other bags. (I realized that there were no orders offering the Absolute Strap as an option where I did not select this over the last five years.)

Congratulations on your order!

Now if only I could be convinced that the Tri-Star could work as an EDC laptop bag without feeling big, I'd probably never need another! And it's in stock of course...

Volunteer Moderator
    Now if only I could be convinced that the Tri-Star could work as an EDC laptop bag without feeling big, I'd probably never need another! And it's in stock of course...
    You probably picked the correct bag for you to use as an EDC. I was trying to locate a picture that showed the Tri-Star (packed and empty) compared to the Western Flyer, but the linked picture is no longer available at the original site. Take a look at Le Pied's comments in the Size Difference Between Western Flyer and TriStar thread. The thread that he links to is the one that originally held the photos I was thinking of, but they're no longer available.

The best I can do is point you to a Practical Hacks review of the TriStar that contains a comparison photo of the Western Flyer, TriStar, and Aeronaut. When the bag is underfilled, it does look slimmer (see the Practical Hacks comparison photo of 5 popular travel bags.)

The Flikr photostream was helpful, there are a number of images of the TS and WF sitting together with scalies around. Seeing them stuffed solid and sitting together in those ubiquitous airport lounge seats really shows how much that extra inch adds to the profile. I'm a pretty big guy (6'-3" 200# and size 12) so I may need a TS someday anyway, but one at a time...

Darcy & Beau, any idea when the 6z vertical cache will come off backorder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Beau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blarson94 View Post
    Darcy & Beau, any idea when the 6z vertical cache will come off backorder?
    I just had a look, and those Caches should be through the factory by the end of the day.
    Darcy likes this.
    emailus@tombihn.com or call U.S./Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries +1-206-652-4123

Great. Thanks for checking. I have an order pending #178236

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulled the trigger on the WF and a bankrupting number of accessories...now for the wait

Volunteer Moderator
    Pulled the trigger on the WF and a bankrupting number of accessories...now for the wait
    Will the Western Flyers on back order (such as imperator's order for Steel/Iberian) support the horizontal cache with rails?
    snowbot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Will the Western Flyers on back order support the horizontal cache with rails?
    Sure would be nice to have that option. Do the rails serve any other purpose, like straps when they aren't being used as rails?

Love the video and philosophy of TB.

Take all the time you need making my gear.
    Darcy likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0