• 10 Post By Yoda Sloth
  • 1 Post By dorayme
  • 1 Post By TavaPeak
  • 2 Post By Mausermama
  • 6 Post By TavaPeak
  • 3 Post By jmoz

Thread: I saw a (the?) Pilot Today!

I saw a (the?) Pilot Today!

Got to go to the store today to return a Brain Bag (liked the Synapse 25 better, exceptionally long post about that elsewhere), and while I was there, a MCB in Plum/Wasabi asked me to take it home (so I did, it seemed lonely in the store), but, that's not the news here.

I did get to actually touch a Pilot (or is it still THE Pilot?)!! While the TB Crew seems to have covered most of the highlights, I just wanted to report another sighting of the bag.

Noticed a couple of things that might be of interest (I don't own carry a Co-Pilot, so am not best placed to compare).

It seemed more flexible (less stiff) than the Co-Pilot - the larger size seemed to provide a bit more give all around - the pockets opened up a bit more (front and rear). The Co-Pilot (which I want to love, but can't think of any occasion when I would prefer to carry it vs. another bag) has always felt a bit stiff/rigid to me (although Kyle showed me his bag today so I could see how it was loaded and it did seem to get "softer" with time) - whereas the Pilot seemed to have a bit more give right away.

Also, tried my loaded ballistic side effect in the front pocket - fit really easily - no struggle at all to get it in/out.

Looks like a great bag - I might even consider ordering one - but having observed everyone's angst over choosing a color... Maybe I will wait a bit

thanks for the extra details! looking forward to a nordic one coming my way. and maybe i need to add an extra side effect...trying to behave and not overspend...

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Thanks Yoda Sloth for sharing. The larger bags will seem more flexible than the smaller ones do, especially at first, I think it is due to a higher ratio of seaming and stability required to build the same bag in a smaller size. I'm thinking of bags with sized counterparts like the Swifts, Cafe Bags, Shop Bags, and even the Synapse, though it was less obvious in the Synapse to me (possibly due to the fact that my Synapse 19's came to me pre loved).

I love that the Side Effect Slips right in. I carry one inside of my LS daily so that will be important for me.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

I appreciate your impressions. I just received a Co-Pilot in Steel/UV that I ordered. I'm in the trying-it-out phase and I'm uncertain. I do prefer Dyneema fabrics because they seem to be more forgiving in general. Plus, the weight advantage is big for me.

That being said, I like the compact size. I try to never fly with a laptop anymore if I can help it, so it's virtually always just my iPad, iPhone, and Kindle. The Co-Pilot should work fine but it definitely isn't as flexible as the Pilot would be. Plus, my WF is in Nordic, so the Pilot in Nordic is singing my name. For now, I'm just packing out the Co-Pilot in various situations at home, trying to figure out if this is indeed the right bag for me, or if the larger Pilot would work better for my purposes.

I do have an Imago which is similar in size to the Pilot, so that is another factor in my consideration. Do I really NEED the Pilot when the Imago functions in a similar way? No, but still, the organizational features, the Nordic fabric, and the lack of a flap are features that keep me looking at it.

Mausermama - I love my navy/cork/wasabi Imago. But I did order a Pilot, because everything zips up tight for travel. (And there are dedicated spots for water bottle and Side Effect.)

All right, TavaPeak. You helped me. I've gone ahead and placed an order for the Nordic/Solar Pilot. I suspect the Co-Pilot will be returning to the factory, but I'll make a final decision once both bags are in hand. The Pilot would look awesome next to my Nordic WF, and with a Nordic SE also on its way, I'll be sitting pretty for a long time (hopefully!).
    TavaPeak and RDR3 like this.

Instead of frequent flyer miles, we really need a Bihn Enablers rewards program.

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    Instead of frequent flyer miles, we really need a Bihn Enablers rewards program.
    I bet we ALL have Elite status!

@Mausermama: I recently ordered a Steel/UV Co-Pilot as well, after seeing how much my husband loved his Navy/Iberian one. I was really excited about getting it, but when it came, I had the same uncertain reaction as you. I was a bit disappointed that I was not immediately in love with it, but thought that it was a bit too boxy--and because of that didn't sit well on my hip when I carried it cross body. While I was in the process of trying to convince myself that I love this bag, I ordered the Black Dyneema Co-pilot on a bit of a whim (I didn't think that I would like Dyneema as an exterior option). When I opened the Black Dyneema Co-pilot it was definitely LOVE upon filling the bag and wearing around my office!! The give of the Dyneema fabric works beautifully with the structure of the design of the bag.

Of course, that is definitely not to dissuade you from pre-ordering the Pilot (I am eagerly awaiting my Nordic/Solar Pilot, myself). It is only say that I understand being in that uncertain limbo about a bag, and am soooo much happier with a bag that I absolutely love and that I look forward to using day to day.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0