Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By RhoFro
  • 3 Post By monkeylady
  • 1 Post By Travelmom4
  • 2 Post By RhoFro

Thread: Advice about Synapse 19 color selection

Advice about Synapse 19 color selection

After watching many videos and getting some helpful feedback here, I have decided that I am going to order the Synapse 19 for my EDC bag for my 3 week trip to Europe and Africa this summer. I am envisioning using it for many other trips in the future and am excited about accessories, etc. I like the black dyneema for the exterior. My dream interior, however, is the iberian, which is not currently offered. Second choice is the wasabi which is available. I don't "need" the bag until mid May-although I am already excited about getting it. I am comfortable waiting except that I am a bit anxious that the supply could dwindle and the black dyneema/wasabi combo might become unavailable while I wait for my dream fabrics.

Any advice?

Maybe email customer service and ask if they have plans for black dyneema/Iberian. If you're really set on Iberian, consider the parapack version. Also, many people here can sympathize on waiting for your favorite color combination to become available (Smart Alec with UV lining I'm talking to you.)

My advice would be to buy the Black Dyneema/Wasabi and the Black Parapack/Iberian.

Despite its sporty name, Parapack, according to other forum members, feels like silk, the one oz weight difference is negligible.

400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon ripstop: 1 lb 7 oz / 650 grams
    420d HT nylon Classic Parapack: 1 lb 8 oz / 680 grams

When you get both you can try each one, for 60 days, indoors, using your things to pack it with and being careful to keep then away from children, pets and husbands (who have a knack for finding sticky, muddy, staining stuff) so that they can both be pristine and with their respective tags, should you choose to return one.

You should be warned that you will fall in love with both and, like me, will be the happy owner of 2 Synapse 19.

As, always, your best bet is to participate in the forum and write on behalf of the color you favor. Solar enthusiasts wrote extensively about its disappearance, which induced its resurgence as a Dyneema color.

I would call in your order to see if any Black Dyneema/Iberian is anywhere on the horizon, within the time frame of your trip.

Volunteer Moderator
    @Travelmom4 I'm going to have to consult the hive mind of other forum members, especially those who follow Black/Iberian color offerings, but I don't think the Synapse 19 has ever been manufactured in Black 400d Dyneema/Iberian Dyneema yet. The 400d Black Dyneema was introduced at the very end of September 2013, just making the production run for the Synapse 19, and they made some bags in Black Dyneema/Wasabi Dyneema. The Side Effect in Black 400d Dyneema/Wasabi Dyneema was another bag that was released from the early production batches for Black 400d Dyneema.

Late in October, they once again started taking preorders for the Little Swift, and one of those combinations was Black 400d Dyneema/Iberian Dyneema. That's the first instance of that color combination being offered that I can remember, and I ordered that bag. A bit later near the end of October Darcy announced pre-orders for a bunch of new colors for the Synapse 25, including Black 400d Dyneema/Iberian Dyneema, with an estimated availability date of late November (which they beat). That's the first time that color and fabric combination was offered for any model of the Synapse, and Badger (another forum moderator) ordered one at the time.

I know they managed another restock of the Synapse 19 production line before Christmas, but a large number of those offering were in the new 420d HT Parapack Nylon fabrics with Dyneema interiors. I don't remember there ever being a 400d Black Dyneema /Iberian Dyneema version offered in the smaller sIze Synapse 19, though by that time the Swift line of bags had refreshed, and they offered that bag in all the earlier Little Swift colors (including 400d Black Dyneema/Iberian Dyneema), and a bunch of other colors.

I'd have to ask Darcy to comment, based on the popularity of the recent Black Dyneema/Iberian Dyneema offerings, whether they would do this combination for the next major production batch of the Synapse 19. The prospects might be good, since I know a number of forum members really like the Black/Iberian combination.

Can anyone who follows Black/Iberian closely correct me if I've made an error in stating this Dyneema combination has never been offered yet for the Synapse 19 – only for the Synapse 25, Little Swift, and Swift? (I don't remember seeing this for the Co-Pilot, either). if this hasn't been offered before, and the response for the Synapse 25 was as enthusiastic as I think it , there may be a new production batch of the Synapse 19 that includes your preferred color option early this Spring. Darcy would have to comment.

HTH, and welcome to the forums!

moriond

Thanks for the info, morland. The historical perspective is helpful. I am interested to know that I am not the only one who is enamored with the black dyneema/iberia combo. I look forward to hearing what the "hive" thinks.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelmom4 View Post
    Thanks for the info, morland. The historical perspective is helpful. I am interested to know that I am not the only one who is enamored with the black dyneema/iberia combo. I look forward to hearing what the "hive" thinks.
    Well, you really want to know what Darcy and the other folks at Tom Bihn decide about future color offerings. I've been wanting to see a Nordic Dyneema Side Effect (and other bags using a light color Dyneema interior) since that fabric was introduced a little over a year ago, and that just happened on Friday (with no announcement), as far as I can tell.

There have been a lot of new colors and fabrics introduced this Fall (including the Founder's Briefcase and the Guide's Pack as new bags), so I'm really asking the "Hive Mind" if other forum members to check my recollection of the Synapse 19 color offerings that came up in late December.

The production mode is to batch produce specific model bags, and to tie these schedules to bulk orders of the fabrics as a way of maintaining production efficiency, while keeping costs down. It's a balancing act that they try to keep track of. However, the decisions are influenced by the degree of customer interest in specific color combinations, so I think that part would be working in your favor!

All the best,

moriond

You are correct @moriond - the Synapse 19 and Co-Pilot have not made appearance in Black Dyneema/Iberian to date.

I would have ordered the black dyneema/iberia combo if it was available, but I needed my Synapse 19 asap so I ended up with black dyneema/wasabi (which I also had to wait for since it was back ordered).

I had the same situation with the Aeronaut in black dyneema/wasabi. While wasabi is fine (I try not to think of it as a pea soup hue), I so love the black dyneema and think it would be super bad ass with Iberian. Not sure why it wasn't offered as something new when the Pilot came out since the wasabi is here, there and everywhere. If a black/Iberian Pilot does show up one day, I'll be buying a bag I don't "need" but couldn't resist.
    Walker and WenV like this.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Wasabi....think limes....limes for squeezing over fish fajitas, lime gimlets, key lime pie, lime squeezed on cantalope....I could go on forever....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

You are all just reminding me of how much I like the black/iberian combo! I'm going to hold out for a while and see what pops up. I did email TB and Darcy replied that "we like to be very spontaneous about our colors". She did say that they don't have plans to offer that color combo at the moment but "you never know" and I should watch the blogs and forums for announcements.

RhoFro, I'm with you on the Pilot. I am already interested in the bag and that color combo would seal the deal!
    RhoFro likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelmom4 View Post
    You are all just reminding me of how much I like the black/iberian combo! I'm going to hold out for a while and see what pops up. I did email TB and Darcy replied that "we like to be very spontaneous about our colors". She did say that they don't have plans to offer that color combo at the moment but "you never know" and I should watch the blogs and forums for announcements.

RhoFro, I'm with you on the Pilot. I am already interested in the bag and that color combo would seal the deal!
    By the way, we all have favorite styles in bags. I'm a big fan of the Synapse, particularly the Synapse 19, but I also like to use the Little Swift and Swift. If you think you'd like the 400d Black Dyneema/Iberian Dyneema in either of those bags (Swift or Little Swift), the general advice around the forums is that if you see a color combination in a bag that you really want, grab it while it's available. Also, color and fabric preferences are very individual. You can ask for fabric samples or, another good way to to make evaluations is to order pouches or products in these fabric combinations. (I happen to also like the Shop bags, and find them very useful. The Shop Bags are available in both 400d Black Dyneema and Iberian Dyneema, although the Small Black and the Large Iberian are back ordered till February). Good luck with your color selections!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    . The Shop Bags are available in both 400d Black Dyneema and Iberian Dyneema, although the Small Black and the Large Iberian are back ordered till February).
    That reminds me. I meant to mention how my Shop Bag Christmas went. The recipients (who do NOT recycle their plastic grocery bags and that makes me nuts) each got a small & large in various colors; with other stuff inside; a Fitbit Flex, Glenmorangie 21, etc. I was a little worried they'd be "meh" about shop bags and not appreciate Bihn.

I have to say, they were the star of the day! In fact, those who didn't receive the Bihn bags were NOT happy. I was almost convinced to give up my new large Black addition to my shop collection. Almost.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

I love my Navy Parapack/ Iberian lining Synapse 25! Also have a Blue Dyneema/ Steel lining Synapse 19 but really, my preference for the 25 is not even close. And I'm not tall... 5'6..

Blue Dyneema/ Steel lining Synapse 19!!! where can I get one? anyone want to rehome one? trade for ?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0