Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: OMG The Side Effect available in Nordic/Solar!

Volunteer Moderator

OMG The Side Effect available in Nordic/Solar!

So I had finally managed to decide on the color combination and place my Pilot order (two days after everyone else) for 400d Black Dyneema/Wasabi after much agonizing about whether to order the 400d Nordic Dyneema/Solar version, and a check through of the various existing photos of the Co-Pilot in Nordic and in Black, along with a review of my existing Nordic and Black Dyneema bags, etc.

Then I went back to the Side Effect Product page that I had checked several times in the past week, and lo and behold there was an option for Nordic/Solar! Now, the first time I've seen the Nordic/Solar color combination was when the Pilot was announced on Wednesday. And this is embarrassing, because I'd commented in the thread on the Pilot colors: "Would really like to see a Nordic/Solar or Nordic/Wasabi option…" just a few days before Christmas, but hadn't noticed this new color option for the Side Effect. I swear that it only emerged in the last few days – or Darcy is just trying to check how obsessively we're reading the product pages!

Anyway, I'm really happy to see this, and of course I had to place an order. So if I end up changing the color in my Pilot order, it will be based on the direct color combo information. And, oh, I have really been wanting this color combination in the Side Effect! Yippee!! (And just letting all you other Nordic enthusiasts that this combination is available.)

moriond

Thanks! How did I miss that? I swear I was just looking at that page earlier this AM before placing an order for a CP in navy/solar. This would be such an excellent compliment to that bag and my gear. I'm going to email them and see if it can be added on, since it won't be shipping until Monday.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel • BB • S25 in black dyneema • S19 in black/iberian • LCB in steel parapack/iberian • CP in navy ballistic/solar • Swift in steel dyneema • LS in Aubergine • SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar • TTs • various pouches/key straps/YSSs • iPad mini cache • LSBs, SSBs • PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema • 360mm Quiver •

I literally squealed when I saw the SE was available in Nordic and immediately ordered one. By far, Nordic is my favorite color. I only wish it was currently available in the CP. Along with my Nordic WF, I'd be set!
    ncb4 and flaneuse like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    I literally squealed when I saw the SE was available in Nordic and immediately ordered one. By far, Nordic is my favorite color. I only wish it was currently available in the CP. Along with my Nordic WF, I'd be set!
    I just saw this yesterday, too, and one is already winging its way to me. How sneaky of TB to slip it quietly onto the product page like that. Now if the powers-that-be would make the Little Swift in Nordic, my joy would be complete. Please, please, pretty please!

Based on the pre-order list of products, the Crew is busy making the Co-Pilot, Pilot, Field Journal Notebook, Shop Bag, Swift, Little Swift, Side Effect and Stuff Sacks.

Nordic is featured prominently, yipee!

Nordic/Solar is going to be a stupendous color pair for Spring/Summer, perfect for lace work in summery colors.

May I ask for more Nordic/UV and Aubergine/UV, especially for the Swift, Little Swift, Side Effect and Pilot?

When I do my public transport errands, the Synapse 19 and Small Cafe Bag pair is perfect, they can also be used in casual dress workshops and conferences. A Large Shop Bag can be tucked anywhere when folded, then, used as a carry all for documentations, purchases (books, yarn...) then to transport the loot at the nearest post office or UPS store.

However, if I need to go to more formal gatherings when a suit jacket is needed, a Little Swift with its matching Side Effect "zippered main pocket" or Swift are more appropriate.

I used my Small Steel Shop Bag, when a workshop, turned unexpectedly into a talk and social gathering. I knew that the classic lines of its Little Swift like design, would blend seamlessly with my black pantsuit and black, white and silver accessories.

I have a pristine Plum/Pink Cordura Swift that I can also use for that purpose, but, I like the lines and the stiffness formed by the black support fabric of the Ballistic Swifts and Little Swifts. Ballistic is also a more luxurious fabric, always good when dressing up.

Besides, my Cordura Swifts are busy holding my yarns, needlework floss, supplies and books.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Based on the pre-order list of products, the Crew is busy making the Co-Pilot, Pilot, Field Journal Notebook, Shop Bag, Swift, Little Swift, Side Effect and Stuff Sacks.

Nordic is featured prominently, yipee!

Nordic/Solar is going to be a stupendous color pair for Spring/Summer, perfect for lace work in summery colors.

May I ask for more Nordic/UV and Aubergine/UV, especially for the Swift, Little Swift, Side Effect and Pilot?
    You and I have the same favorite colors, backpack. I too love Aubergine, and if the Pilot were ever made in that color, I'd order it in a heartbeat. I have the Co-Pilot in Indigo/Solar and adore it, and am so excited to see the Pilot at long last. There are some days I could use more space than the CP gives. But given some neck/shoulder issues I'm having at the moment [I can't sling anything over my left neck/shoulder, nor carry anything with my left arm for more than a minute or two] I'm trying very hard to lighten my EDC load. So no Pilot for me, not at the moment, as it would tempt me to carry too much. But if I saw an Aubergine option on the order page, nothing else would matter. I'd whip out my credit card faster than the speed of light.

Trying to lighten what I carry was a good reason for me to "justify" the purchase of yet another Side Effect yesterday; other than my love for Nordic, that is. I love my Side Effects: an original Indigo that carries my Fuji x100s camera, a Wasabi Dyneema, and of course, a gorgeous Aubergine SE. And as of next Friday, a fourth SE in Nordic/Solar. I'll have to take a photo of my growing Nordic family when it arrives: a Small Cafe Bag in Nordic/UV, a Large Shop Bag, and now the SE.

The Side Effects and Little Swifts are the bags I use the most, I think. I carry my Little Swifts as purses every day: Ultrasuede Cacao right now in the winter, and Aubergine the rest of the year. [I gave my Azalea LS to my mother.] But in addition to how gorgeous it would look, a Little Swift in Nordic would be a wee bit lighter as well—and for me, every ounce counts. I like the Solar Dyneema lining, but given my love of purple, a Nordic/UV Little Swift would be even more wonderful. So I'm going to keep pestering you, Darcy, and hope that you have enough Nordic in stock to use some to make Little Swifts.

~Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post

I like the Solar Dyneema lining, but given my love of purple, a Nordic/UV Little Swift would be even more wonderful. So I'm going to keep pestering you, Darcy, and hope that you have enough Nordic in stock to use some to make Little Swifts.

~Nancy
    I agree 100%. More Nordic/UV, please!

I also throw in my vote for the Nordic little swift.... with wasabi lining pretty please!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    jaon likes this.

@moriond, when I read your post, I immediately sent email to TB customer service to request them to replace the navy 420d/iberian Side Effect I ordered earlier with Nordic/Solar.

I prefer iberian lining, but I do like the navy/solar color combination of my WF. So nordic/solar may surprise me.

Banned
    perhaps the solution would be to make all of the products available in the color combination of your choice..i would buy more stuff if they had more selection when it comes to color combinations...a smart alec in aubergine/ultraviolet...sapphire/nordic...cardinal/iberian...or instead of black/black/solar why not solar/solar/solar and as i mentioned in another thread why not take the upper pocket from the smart alec and turn it upside down with a zipper on top and leave the admin pocket on the inside...it automatically becomes a clam shell shaped purse for the ladies with individual pockets for lipstick/chapstick/perfume and is bigger than the side effect...

Quote Originally Posted by twogunmojo View Post
    perhaps the solution would be to make all of the products available in the color combination of your choice..i would buy more stuff if they had more selection when it comes to color combinations....
    As truly awesome as that would be, manufacturing things in batches (rather than one-offs, which would be required for custom color combinations) is MUCH more efficient, which keeps prices down and wait times (relatively) short. While I would love custom color choices, the trade-off seems likely too high to me. (Of course, they COULD do TB Custom, where (for a higher price and with a potential lead-time), you can get custom combinations if you REALLY care. I would guess, based on other manufacturers, that it would likely add something like 20-30% to the price, but that's a pretty wild guess and could be off by a decent bit.

If there was a ultraviolet Side Effect, I'd have to have it!

Can someone post pics of the Nordic solar SE?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    Can someone post pics of the Nordic solar SE?

The "someone" is going to have to be Darcy or somebody else on the Tom Bihn staff. Nordic Dyneema has uniformly been paired with Steel, apart from the Cafe Bag offerings in Nordic/Ultraviolet. As far as I know, the SE is the first Nordic product offering with a Dyneema interior other than the previous examples. For all the other "wish list" Nordic color combinations, I've been hauling out my Nordic Swift, Nordic Synapse 19, and Nordic Shop Bags (of both sizes) and matching up fabric swatches with all my variously colored Dyneema Shop Bags and pouches.

Nordic/Steel looks fine as a color combination. The big issue is that when you move to larger, more cavernous bags, having a lighter/contrasting interior really helps in locating contents. It's not such an issue when the bag sections open up fully (e.g., Aeronaut or Western Flyer), or even in the Swift, with its open design, but I do find this to be a factor in the larger backpacks like the Smart Alec, and it even helps to have a lighter color for the central compartment of the Tri-Star.this is one of the reasons I've always wanted to see Nordic paired with another, lighter Dyneema color combination (in hopes that they use Nordic with more bags, and in ways that other customers will also really like).

Nordic is an awesome color.
    ncb4 and flaneuse like this.

Looks like Wasabi isn't that big of a hit for an exterior colour anymore....just hope it doesn't get phase out all together!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0