Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: OMG The Side Effect available in Nordic/Solar!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    twogunmojo- I think the forums are more-or-less the research department; TB is a very small company. ALL of the employees are in the "About us" section on the website. As for pricing, I actually respect how transparent TB is about their pricing. They often comment on how material costs and labor costs drive product prices and when they might go up. Given that their labor is in the US and treated well and that making bags is actually quite time-consuming, I think costs are driven more by labor than anything else. Clearly, the skookum road duffel costs less to make than the guide's pack; I'd rather they not increase the price of products to provide lash straps people might not need.

As for capacity, it's not so much the physical size of the factory as the size of the workshop and TB's desire to maintain that size. Sure, they could increase production by having a second shift (which I assume they don't have, but Darcy or Beau could clarify that.) Hell, they could increase production even more by outsourcing. In the past, Tom Bihn has made it clear that he'd rather run the company his way than risk debasing quality or doing things that might not meet his values. Because the company is privately owned (and therefore not beholden to shareholders), that's the choice he gets to make. I feel like this is a company that bends over backwards to work with its customers, and you see a rabidly-loyal fan base because of that and the high quality gear that TB makes. At some level, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

As for comparisons to Randall knives, I don't know what goes into making a knife, but every company has their own philosophy and values. From what I can tell, RedOxx seems to have a more similar model to what you describe with a mix of on-the-shelf options and customization. Their bags are, apparently, quite nice. I like Tom Bihn's better, but if you don't, it's great how many options there are in the marketplace.
    i have done more than a little research in by quest for a bag and i know that none of the stuff they use costs more than 10 or 12 dollars a sq. yd...i love privately owned companies...i work for one and we have stock products on hand always..if you want a custom color you will pay more because we have to have the paint manufactured but standard colors are always available...420 parapack is used as an auxiliary material where cordura of high strength is not needed, also it is applied for deployment bags of reserve and main chutes so 2 lash straps are not going to break the company since they give them away on the higher cost per yard duffel...just because i was born at night is no reason to assume i was born last night...

Quote Originally Posted by twogunmojo View Post
    i have done more than a little research in by quest for a bag and i know that none of the stuff they use costs more than 10 or 12 dollars a sq. yd...i love privately owned companies...i work for one and we have stock products on hand always..if you want a custom color you will pay more because we have to have the paint manufactured but standard colors are always available...420 parapack is used as an auxiliary material where cordura of high strength is not needed, also it is applied for deployment bags of reserve and main chutes so 2 lash straps are not going to break the company since they give them away on the higher cost per yard duffel...just because i was born at night is no reason to assume i was born last night...
    It seems to me that you're very unhappy with TB 's business practices. You even express (over and over) the opinion that they're a rip-off. So, I'm sorry, but I have to ask: why not vote with your wallet? Or, ask TB staff directly rather than making passive-aggressive forum posts?

As for the backorder issue, there's a very nice explanation video on the blog and a post in the forums about it.....

Everyone. Everyone. Everyone.

This thread is about the new Nordic/Solar Side Effect.

Please keep on topic. If there are those who wish to pursue the side thread that has been developing (devolving?) here, it would be more appropriate to start a new thread.

Finally, while no one said we all need to agree or get along all the time, keep in mind we strive for a certain level of harmony and respect here on the forum. Please consider your rhetoric, your word choice, tone, and (most importantly) whether or not to hit "Reply."

That is all. OMG NORDIC SIDE EFFECT, &c., &c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen Nordic in person. Sad. What am I missing?

Here are some more SE color sample pics:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  822.8 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  753.2 KB

Proctor, you're my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I've never seen Nordic in person. Sad. What am I missing?
    I once described the color as the one the sky takes between night and dawn or dusk and night.

On clear nights, right before or right after the sun rises or sets, when its light turn the dark of night into gradients of blue, from blue black to rich blue, the lighter color will be Nordic.

To help you here the link to the flicker set for the Synapse 19, which shows many bags in Nordic goodness.

Synapse 19 - a set on Flickr

My SEs arrived. No nordic/solar . So I checked my email to TB. Sure enough - I asked them to swap one color with BLACK dyneema/wasabi NOT nordic/solar as I intended. Oh well. I guess nordic solar gets added to next order.

Oh the SEs are olive 420d/uv, steel 420d/steel and the black dyneema/wasabi. I like the fine weave of the parapack. Almost simulates the fine weave of cordura, but smoother.

Love the black dyneema - wishing the lining is iberian.

The

Sorry - meant to add that the olive/uv is a nice combination. My first olive bag, although I bought olive bags in the past for presents.

The steel 420d/steel is a bit too dark. I may return this one to swap with the nordic/solar.

Conclusion: I like the parapack, LOVE the dyneema.

Here are photos of my loot, taken with my phone. Also got a UV key strap, but it is in my Co-Pilot looking after my office and house keys.

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/9ybu7ejy.jpg[/

IMG]

Is the first one navy parapack? Or steel? The pic looks blue, but paler than navy. Whatever it is, it is stunning!
    Seeking Cardinal Co-Pilot!

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    Is the first one navy parapack? Or steel? The pic looks blue, but paler than navy. Whatever it is, it is stunning!
    It's steel. I also loved this in person (in the form of the forum gift).
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote LS * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Indeed, it is steel 420d. It is pretty. I wish, though, that the lining were iberian instead of steel. Will have to get either a SCB or MCB in steel 420/iberian. I think that color combo is stunning.

This maybe a bit better photo (still taken with phone)

Hmm, what do I need in olive/ultraviolet?!

Didn't think I'd like that combo, but now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote LS * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0