Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: OMG The Side Effect available in Nordic/Solar!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemel View Post
    Looks like Wasabi isn't that big of a hit for an exterior colour anymore....just hope it doesn't get phase out all together!
    Wasabi was never designed to be an exterior color (400d Dyneema). It is used for accessory pouches, Shop Bags, and convertible packing cube bags like the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag or the Packing Cube BackPack. After the one production of the Side Effect with a few 200d Dyneema colors, I don't think they plan to do any more (regardless of whether that color is Wasabi or a different color). Wasabi is one of the standard interior colors, because it works in a wide range combinations, and it is unlikely to be phased out any time soon. When Aubergine was introduced as a new Ballistic Nylon color, they carefully adjusted the tone red enough so that the green tones of Wasabi Dyneema could work well with it. I find it funny that at the same time you are are worrying that Wasabi might get phased out altogether because it isn't being used here, in another thread (of users hoping for more Black 400d Dyneema/Iberian Dyneema combinations, the grumbling was about having to take the available bags (Synapse 19 or Aeronaut) in Black/Wasabi. "While wasabi is fine (I try not to think of it as a pea soup hue), I so love the black dyneema and think it would be super bad ass with Iberian. Not sure why it wasn't offered as something new when the Pilot came out since the wasabi is here, there and everywhere."

Just another point of view! These are all great color combinations.
    Hemel likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    As truly awesome as that would be, manufacturing things in batches (rather than one-offs, which would be required for custom color combinations) is MUCH more efficient, which keeps prices down and wait times (relatively) short. While I would love custom color choices, the trade-off seems likely too high to me. (Of course, they COULD do TB Custom, where (for a higher price and with a potential lead-time), you can get custom combinations if you REALLY care. I would guess, based on other manufacturers, that it would likely add something like 20-30% to the price, but that's a pretty wild guess and could be off by a decent bit.
    basically they already do one-offs just 20 or 30 at a time...for example right now the smart alec is not available in any color combination unless you consider "back order" a color...they have a competitor in san francisco that will make and ship your custom bag in 5 to 7 days from the time your order is placed...waiting 4 months for a 2.5 liter pocket in black seems a bit much..as far custom bags go there would be no need for higher prices since you are only choosing from colors they already have and the bags are all sewn the same way so there should not be additional labor costs...right now i see tom bihn being to bags what randall is to knives...right now the popularity of randall means that if you order 1 you might as well order 2 since its going to be a 5 year wait for your custom knife...25 years ago it was a 1 year wait however randall always has stock models for sale either at the shop or through their select retailers..as i said a aubergine/ultraviolet se would be killer and i would wait a month or 2 for a custom but where are the stock bags for people who don't want to wait that long...how hard would it be to keep an all black or all steel or all navy smart alec in stock or at least available within 1 business week...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    If there was a ultraviolet Side Effect, I'd have to have it!
    exactly or plum with ultraviolet...

The thing is Tom Bihn Inc and Skookum Dog items are both made in a small factory.

I love purple and blue so all that talk about UV and Nordic from fellow forum members makes me giddy.

Nobody at the factory has the slightest idea what "people" will want to buy tomorrow, this is why there is the forum when devotees voice their opinions on Tom design, productions, colors, etc...

It helps The Crew plan production.
    Last edited by backpack; 01-13-2014 at 06:28 AM.

Curse you, moriond for pointing this out! I already have too many Side Effects!
    Walker likes this.
    --------------------------------

Confession time: got too many SE myself. I use a steel dyneema/wasabi as purse, wasabi & solar as pouches. I bought the SE in all the other ballistic and dyneema colors availabe in 2013 as presents for family in the past year. Yesterday, I placed an order for 2 parapack (olive/UV and steel/steel) and 1 nordic/solar. I will keep 1, save the other 2 for presents. Not sure yet which one I will keep, but likely one of the parapacks. If so, it will be my first bag in 420d.

Now, if Darcy or other TB staff reads this, I think that the SE in steel/iberian or black/iberian would be awesome!

Sigh. You all are such enablers. My black/wasabi SE is demanding a companion...perhaps a Black Dyneema/wasabi one to match my Aeronaut.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    The thing is Tom Bihn Inc and Skookum Dog items are both made in a small factory.

I love purple and blue so all that talk about UV and Nordic from fellow forum members makes me giddy.

Nobody at the factory has the slightest idea what "people" will want to buy tomorrow, this is why there is the forum when devotees voice their opinions on Tom design, productions, colors, etc...

It helps The Crew plan production.
    unless they don't have a research department they absolutely have an idea of what people want to buy...its called product development...how do you think they came up with the guide pack which is a bone of contention with me anyway...its 240 dollars naked and you have to order lash straps with the guide pack but if you buy the less expensive skookum road duffel your dog gets 2 lash straps for his mat thrown in for free...as for the size of the factory that has nothing to do with it unless they are running the shop at capacity 7 days a week and 24 hours a day...randall knives are made and sold in a cinder block ranch house in an orange grove in orlando and people are paying hundreds of dollars and thousands of dollars to own one...

Quote Originally Posted by twogunmojo View Post
    unless they don't have a research department they absolutely have an idea of what people want to buy...its called product development...how do you think they came up with the guide pack which is a bone of contention with me anyway...its 240 dollars naked and you have to order lash straps with the guide pack but if you buy the less expensive skookum road duffel your dog gets 2 lash straps for his mat thrown in for free...as for the size of the factory that has nothing to do with it unless they are running the shop at capacity 7 days a week and 24 hours a day...randall knives are made and sold in a cinder block ranch house in an orange grove in orlando and people are paying hundreds of dollars and thousands of dollars to own one...
    twogunmojo- I think the forums are more-or-less the research department; TB is a very small company. ALL of the employees are in the "About us" section on the website. As for pricing, I actually respect how transparent TB is about their pricing. They often comment on how material costs and labor costs drive product prices and when they might go up. Given that their labor is in the US and treated well and that making bags is actually quite time-consuming, I think costs are driven more by labor than anything else. Clearly, the skookum road duffel costs less to make than the guide's pack; I'd rather they not increase the price of products to provide lash straps people might not need.

As for capacity, it's not so much the physical size of the factory as the size of the workshop and TB's desire to maintain that size. Sure, they could increase production by having a second shift (which I assume they don't have, but Darcy or Beau could clarify that.) Hell, they could increase production even more by outsourcing. In the past, Tom Bihn has made it clear that he'd rather run the company his way than risk debasing quality or doing things that might not meet his values. Because the company is privately owned (and therefore not beholden to shareholders), that's the choice he gets to make. I feel like this is a company that bends over backwards to work with its customers, and you see a rabidly-loyal fan base because of that and the high quality gear that TB makes. At some level, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

As for comparisons to Randall knives, I don't know what goes into making a knife, but every company has their own philosophy and values. From what I can tell, RedOxx seems to have a more similar model to what you describe with a mix of on-the-shelf options and customization. Their bags are, apparently, quite nice. I like Tom Bihn's better, but if you don't, it's great how many options there are in the marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by twogunmojo View Post

You are comparing Washington apples to Florida oranges!

Nobody -needs- a thousand dollars knife, but we all need bags to carry our stuff.

Having a bone of contention with the Guide Pack without straps against Skookum Dog's Road Duffel with straps, is pretty funny. If I were you I wouldn't try to have contention about a bone with a dog. We conditioned them, for thousands of years, to view bones as "their stuff".

The Road Duffel is "the duffel to take on road trips (for your stuff and your dog's stuff)", Tom and the Crew make a very handy Camp Mat that one might want to take from the car to a hotel or a rented cabin to make the stay more comfortable for the dog.

I have just seen that, this duffel has been designed as well as to be a "throw in the back of the truck filled with WCS (Worst Case Scenario) gear."

Thank you so much for that Tom and the Crew!

I have lived in earthquake country and now live with the possible out of the blue fracking earthquake, floods, tornadoes and lets not forget blizzards quadruple threats! Being able to stuff coats or blankets, through those straps in addition to the top strap, can mean the difference between being relatively comfortable or suffering from exposure, which in the case of blizzards or floods can be deadly.

The Guide Pack is available with extra straps because, some people like short hikes around the Visitor Center as a way to enjoy the outdoors, while many Tom Bihn products owners are wilderness permits, even cross-continent trails serious camping hikers.

Our needs also change with activities, I would most likely go further than the visitor center if I brought or rented a bike inside a park.
    I just thought of this, and, now I wonder why Tom hasn't designed the Guide Pack to be a convertible bike backpack?

Tom had the idea for not one, but, two new lines.
    Well... one new line and a brand new company.

He brainstormed to make each, the best of what his, other people and dogs experiences taught him about comfort, what works, what doesn't, ergonomics and most important fun and beauty in our stuff and our lives.

Tom and the Crew don't output, they create each and every item from the biggest bag to the tiniest accessory, with love, care and a sense of mischievous fun.
    Last edited by backpack; 01-15-2014 at 10:13 AM.
    jaon likes this.

Did anyone purchase the nordic/solar side effect? Still hoping for pictures in this thread (or on the product page TB crew)....
    * Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

I just noticed that the SE is available in solar dyneema. Wow!
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    I just noticed that the SE is available in solar dyneema. Wow!
    That's been true for a while. This is 200d Solar Dyneema used for the Side Effect.

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    Did anyone purchase the nordic/solar side effect? Still hoping for pictures in this thread (or on the product page TB crew)....
    kkintea, my Nordic/Solar SE was just delivered about fifteen minutes ago. Hurray! I apologize for the quality of these photos, as I did them on the rush, but I hope they give you an idea of what this color combination looks like. I think my camera did a good job of capturing an accurate representation of the colors despite the poor indoor lighting.

Hope this helps anyone. The Nordic is gorgeous!

~Nancy

Name:  DSCF0602 copy.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  134.5 KBName:  DSCF0614 copy.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  104.8 KBAttachment 5335

Looks great! Is this the same exterior Nordic Dyneema that would be found on the Nordic Dyneema Medium Cafe Bag?
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0