Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree702Likes

Thread: The New Pilot Available for Pre-order in January 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    let us be thankful that tom bihn is in seattle and not in hawaii, where the time is utc - 8!
    Those of us in Hawaii are still biting our nails and refreshing the page constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by thehoax View Post
    Those of us in Hawaii are still biting our nails and refreshing the page constantly.
    Refreshing which page? Blog? Main? Forums?
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel Aeronaut, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

Volunteer Moderator
    oh wow! oh wow! oh wow!

jea

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    It's here: the Pilot

Name:  pilotforums.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  pilot_02b.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  pilot_12b.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  44.9 KB

Ultrasuede-lined pockets for your phone and 7" tablet, Pilot Packing Cubes, and with the inclusion of the rails system and the addition of an optional Cache, the Pilot becomes a checkpoint friendly laptop briefcase. Available for pre-order in eight of the color combinations you voted for; ships by mid-February.

One of the first things you might notice is the change in the look of the Pilot's YKK Aquaguard splash-proof zippers. Here's the scoop:

For over ten years, we've made extensive use of YKK's Aquaguard splash-proof zippers. These zippers have added a degree of water repellency to the closures on our bags that before we could only dream of.

As you've probably come to expect, we aren't inclined to leave well enough alone, and we've been experimenting with different ways in which to sew Aquaguard zippers into our bags. The industry standard has been to sew splash-proof zippers effectively "upside-down", so that the teeth of the zipper end up inside the bag, and the urethane coating is on the outside. This creates the look that people have come to associate with so called "waterproof" zippers (you'll find many bags these days have zippers sewn "upside-down" so that they look as if they're splash-proof zippers when in fact they're just regular zippers sewn that way.)

And also as you've probably come to expect, just because everyone else does it a certain way, doesn't mean we will. First motivated by our desire to reduce the weight of our bags when and where possible, we realized that, if we sew the zippers right side up, we are able to save a bit of weight because we can utilize the woven edge of the zipper tape to finish the zipper seam, rather than adding binding tape as we did before. And when we made samples of the Aeronaut, Pilot, and other bags with the YKK Aquaguard splash-proof zippers sewn right-side up, we took note of how how much we liked the looks of them.

Sewing the Aquaguard zipper in right-side-up (or "teeth-side-out") also overcomes a minor disadvantages to sewing it in upside-down: mainly, the urethane coating on the zipper is no longer exposed to the elements and abrasion. We've found that when we sew the Aquaguard zipper up-side-down (coating exposed), there was occasional, minor shredding of the urethane itself, resulting in a minor change to the aesthetic though not impacting the splash-proofness of the zipper. Sewing the Aquaguard zippers in the same way as we would sew in regular zippers, right side up, puts the urethane coating inside the bag where it's protected, and also allows the teeth to expand, rather than compress, as the zipper rounds corners. Does it affect the water repellency? Nope.

And heads-up: as we always do when we develop a new design, we costed the materials and labor involved in making the new Pilot. What we came up with prompted us to look again at the cost of making the Co-Pilot, and what we found is that the Co-Pilot has been a bit underpriced, considering the amount of build and materials that goes into it. So, we plan to raise the price of the Co-Pilot from $110 to $130 on Monday. If you've been considering a Co-Pilot, now's your chance to order one before the price changes.
    Last edited by Darcy; 01-08-2014 at 11:49 AM.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I ordered mine! Haha! Go to ALL and find Pilot there.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel Aeronaut, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

Got me a black/wasabi! Thanks TB!

Volunteer Moderator
    Yay! They have Nordic/Solar!

Ack! Agonizing over color combinations. The bag looks great!
    Lani likes this.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

It does look great! Congrats TB Crew Love the additional packing cubes and space.

My 15" MacBook Pro Retina will not fit in the Pilot since it's made for 13" laptops. That's perfectly fine, however. I love my Synapse 25 and Cache with Rails
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

It's exactly what I needed!! I REALLY hope it's available before my trip to Pakistan in mid-February. (ordered Navy/Solar)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    It's exactly what I needed!! I REALLY hope it's available before my trip to Pakistan in mid-February. (ordered Navy/Solar)
    There's a strong chance it will be -- emailus@tombihn.com and let us know the day you're leaving and we'll help you figure it out from there.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

You guys at Tom Bihn are one heck of an excellent company!

The way you described the Pilot in detail and even the honest need to bump up the cost of the Co-Pilot, reinforces just why I have respect for your company!

Being that I use the TriStar and especially the Co-Pilot a lot, I'm going to have to take a serious look to see if the Pilot has a place in my traveling and daily use repertoire.

If I go to a larger laptop..good chance!

I like to buy high quality USA made products and Tom Bihn is right there at the top.

Kudos!
    Darcy likes this.

I don't think I will be able to resist the nordic solar combination. Will this fit a 15in macbook pro retina with no case, cache, etc.? It's 14.13in long.

Steel dyneema for me! This is just what I've been waiting for, except for wasabi interior. Love the space for a small tablet and the 3D organizer. And a slip strap - perfect. Thanks for all the careful thought that goes into design.

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0