Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 435 of 486
Like Tree702Likes

Thread: The New Pilot Available for Pre-order in January 2014!

  1. #421
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    243
    The Case of the Missing "0" Ring.

    After receiving my new Pilot the other day I am very happy with my initial impressions.
    I like the fact that the main compartment now has two 0 rings and how I could fit 4 side effects as organizers within the bag.
    ( two in the main section and one each in the front pockets. ) with still room in the main compartment for my iPad and cashe and other pouches and shop bag in the two pockets in the main section.

    I am curious though as to the absence of an "0" ring in the middle (water bottle) pocket as the copilot successfully did.
    Did anyone else notice this ?

    (Excuse me if this has been mentioned previously and I missed it)

  2. #422
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Conifer, CO
    Posts
    75
    Interesting as my co-pilot does not have a o-ring in the middle water bottle pocket.
    Synapse 19, Travel Tray, PCSB, Western Flyer, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

  3. #423
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida (near the beach!)
    Posts
    237
    Funny you should mention that. I thought there would be an o-ring in the center water bottle pocket as well, as I seemed to recall the early release photos as showing that pocket open with something (a small O.P., perhaps) clipped to it. Perhaps they changed the style? I would have liked to have had one there, as that is where my keys are ending up for some reason.

    FWIW, the Co-Pilot I bought and returned didn't have an o-ring in the center pocket either.

  4. #424
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    243
    Hmmm, the mystery deepens,
    I just checked my 3 copilots,
    They all have o rings in the center pocket.
    The Black ballistic has it on the right side of center pocket,
    The steel ballistic and steel dyneema each have it on the left side of the center pocket.

    Just checked the product description,
    " (There are four total O-rings in the Pilot.)."
    So, that part adds up,

    Darcy, any reason I shouldn't have my shoe repair guy stich me in an o ring on a loop there?
    As an anti theft stragedy at outdoor cafe's,
    At times I use the center pocket to keep a retracting cable on there hooked to a carabiner, which I then hook to a chair or a table leg, the other end gets hooked to the strap hook out side the bag. (It lives comfortably there with the water bottle) It works well when the chair doesn't cooperate with rehooking the bag strap.
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 02-12-2014 at 07:53 AM.

  5. #425
    Registered User bchaplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    600
    Huh, my black ballistic Co-Pilot does have an o-ring in the center pocket, off-set to the side. I didn't know it was there.

  6. #426
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
    The Case of the Missing "0" Ring.
    Solved! Here's the deal: we thought the front left and right pockets on the Pilot would be even more useful if they were just a little roomier. To make that happen, we cut the mesh sides of the water bottle pocket at a slight slant so that they curve inward into the water bottle pocket. That worked great, but we also discovered that change made it so there wasn't room leftover for an o-ring in the water bottle pocket. This was one of those design and usability judgement calls, and after much consideration and even a little debate, we decided that the extra roominess in the front left and right pockets was of greater importance than the o-ring in the water bottle pocket.

    As for the shiny vs. matte YKK AquaguardŽ zippers: same zipper, just a slightly different look. As we switch to sewing the zippers right side up, you'll be seeing (or, really, not seeing, because it's on the inside) more of the shiny zipper.
    Last edited by Darcy; 02-12-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    Le_Pied and Miking like this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  7. #427
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware.
    Posts
    241
    Has anyone else tried a size 3 travel stuff sack in the middle water-bottle compartment of the Pilot? It seems like the fit really isn't very good at all, so I'm wondering if I'm (somehow) doing something wrong since the Pilot's page says it "fits nicely." Thanks!

  8. #428
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    As for the shiny vs. matte YKK AquaguardŽ zippers: same zipper, just a slightly different look. As we switch to sewing the zippers right side up, you'll be seeing more of the shiny zipper.
    I prefer the matte but that is just me. I'm all about stealth.
    Moose likes this.
    Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25, Side Effect,small shop bag, large shop bag, travel tray, 3D Organizer Cube

  9. #429
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,509
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    Has anyone else tried a size 3 travel stuff sack in the middle water-bottle compartment of the Pilot? It seems like the fit really isn't very good at all, so I'm wondering if I'm (somehow) doing something wrong since the Pilot's page says it "fits nicely." Thanks!
    @jmoz I thought you said in another thread that it was a size 2 travel stuff sack that you were using? I can fit a size 2 travel stuff sack in the water bottle compartment of the Pilot. If you have the Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter 2 Quarter Cubes, these also slide in nicely, but there's about 3" of vertical height above them if they sit on the bottom of the pocket, so they fit a bit better in the water bottle pocket of the (shorter) Co-Pilot -- but they have a handle that makes it easy to pull them out. The EC quarter cubes are slightly smaller than the size 2 Travel Stuff Sacks but larger than 3D Organizer Cubes and smaller than a Side Effect.

    I did read the Pilot product page reference to the "Size 3 Travel Stuff Sack". Maybe they meant Size 2? I can fit the Size 3 Travel Stuff Sack into either of the two front side pockets, but not the Water Bottle Pocket.

    moriond

    P.S. I _can_ fit the Size 3 Travel Stuff Sack into the Water Bottle Pocket of the Pilot, but I'd probably put the empty sack in first, and then fill it. Otherwise the fit seems too tight.
    Last edited by moriond; 02-12-2014 at 10:38 AM.

  10. #430
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,462
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaL View Post
    I prefer the matte but that is just me. I'm all about stealth.
    I hear you! Being as that the shiny part is on the inside, it'll still be pretty darn stealthy we think
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  11. #431
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware.
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @jmoz I thought you said in another thread that it was a size 2 travel stuff sack that you were using? I can fit a size 2 travel stuff sack in the water bottle compartment of the Pilot. If you have the Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter 2 Quarter Cubes, these also slide in nicely, but there's about 3" of vertical height above them if they sit on the bottom of the pocket, so they fit a bit better in the water bottle pocket of the (shorter) Co-Pilot -- but they have a handle that makes it easy to pull them out. The EC quarter cubes are slightly smaller than the size 2 Travel Stuff Sacks but larger than 3D Organizer Cubes and smaller than a Side Effect.

    I did read the Pilot product page reference to the "Size 3 Travel Stuff Sack". Maybe they meant Size 2? I can fit the Size 3 Travel Stuff Sack into either of the two front side pockets, but not the Water Bottle Pocket.

    moriond

    P.S. I _can_ fit the Size 3 Travel Stuff Sack into the Water Bottle Pocket of the Pilot, but I'd probably put the empty sack in first, and then fill it. Otherwise the fit seems too tight.
    If I said "Size 2" elsewhere (I might have), that was a mistake. I chose the Size 3 based on the Pilot page description, and the fit is pretty poor. Perhaps they did mean size 2 rather than the 3 that's on the page? (Darcy? Beau? Is this a typo?) To be honest, that fit is the first real disappointment I've had in a TB product (it is, of course, pretty minor, and I'm sure I'll use the Size 3 for something else. It's not really worth the postage to return a stuff sack.) I really had to shove it pretty hard to fit in the water bottle pocket, which eliminates the utility. And looking, the size 2 seem to be on backorder.

  12. #432
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,509
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    If I said "Size 2" elsewhere (I might have), that was a mistake. I chose the Size 3 based on the Pilot page description, and the fit is pretty poor. Perhaps they did mean size 2 rather than the 3 that's on the page? (Darcy? Beau? Is this a typo?) To be honest, that fit is the first real disappointment I've had in a TB product (it is, of course, pretty minor, and I'm sure I'll use the Size 3 for something else. It's not really worth the postage to return a stuff sack.) I really had to shove it pretty hard to fit in the water bottle pocket, which eliminates the utility. And looking, the size 2 seem to be on backorder.
    If you need a size 2 travel stuff sack I can send you one (new with tags). What color did you order -- Solar to match your Nordic/Solar combination or a contrasting color? I find the size 2 Travel Stuff Sack is a pretty convenient size. And I ordered a few extra stuff sacks in Solar just in case they discontinued this color again, as Darcy hinted they might do in another thread. You can also use the Small Size Yarn Stuff Sack in this pocket, but the difference is that the bottom of the Sack is round instead of oval, and the height of the sack isn't quite as tall (6.5" vs. 8"). But as far as making best use of the volume of the Water Bottle Pocket, two small yarn stuff sacks probably fill this pocket better than the single size 2 Travel Stuff Sack. (Knitters who keep separate contents in each YSS and who use the Pilot might take note of this).
    Last edited by moriond; 02-12-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Corrected size of yarn stuff sacks that fit in water bottle pocket

  13. #433
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware.
    Posts
    241
    That's really awesome of you to offer, moriond! Thanks! I had ordered Iberian for contrast, though actually, steel would be awesome, or solar is cool, too. I'll PM you to work out the details.

  14. #434
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware.
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    You can also use the Medium Size Yarn Stuff Sack in this pocket, but the difference is that the bottom of the Sack is round instead of oval, and the height of the sack isn't quite as tall (6.5" vs. 8"). But as far as making best use of the volume of the Water Bottle Pocket, two medium yarn stuff sacks probably fill this pocket better than the single size 2 Travel Stuff Sack. (Knitters who keep separate contents in each YSS and who use the Pilot might take note of this).
    OK, I'm actually a bit confused on dimensions again. The #2 travel stuff sack (2TSS) is 6.3" x 5.2" x 3.5", while the medium yarn stuff sack (MYSS) is 6" x 6.25" diameter. It seems like the medium yarn stuff sack would still be pretty big for the pocket, since it's diameter is only slightly different from the 3TSS (7.9" x 6.6" x 4.3"). Do 2 of the MYSS actually fit, or is it 2 of the SYSS??
    Last edited by jmoz; 02-12-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: consistent acronyms for "clarity"

  15. #435
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,509
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    OK, I'm actually a bit confused on dimensions again. The #2 travel stuff sack (2TSS) is 6.3" x 5.2" x 3.5", while the medium yarn stuff sack (MYSS) is 6" x 6.25" diameter. It seems like the medium yarn stuff sack would still be pretty big for the pocket, since it's diameter is only slightly different from the 3TSS (7.9" x 6.6" x 4.3"). Do 2 of the MYSS actually fit, or is it 2 of the SYSS??
    Sorry, I really meant that two of the small size Yarn Stuff sacks will fit in the pocket. The small yarn stuff sack is the closest counterpart to the Size 2 travel stuff sack but has a circular bottom and isn't quite as tall. However, the Size 2 Travel Stuff Sack doesn't quite fill the vertical length of the water bottle pocket.

    And yes, I did receive your 3 pms and replied. I was trying to look up postage details, and just concluded that it would be easier to go to the post office and mail things and then tell you what this came to. Do you think priority mail would work for this? (Your choices are Solar or Wasabi in the Size 2 Travel Stuff Sack. I'll just replace one of these in my next order.)

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0