Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
Like Tree702Likes

Thread: The New Pilot Available for Pre-order in January 2014!

Just love the family of Nordic blues!

Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    Also, seems that many people are going for the dyneema. I was hoping to use the pilot as a daily briefcase for work, in a semi professional environment, but I don't think dyneema would cut it in terms of looks. Am I wrong?
    I will offer a different perspective. I own the Co-Pilot in both black ballistic and in Nordic dyneema. I bought the second because it is such a pretty color, a little lighter, and thought it might pack flat if I wanted to put it in another bag while traveling. I have found that I use the ballistic most of the time. I feel that it is more protective of the precious electronics I carry inside. Particularly in this crazy Boston winter, with snow, sleet and freezing rain, I trust the ballistic fabric more. The solid color is more appropriate for work, though since I'm in academia, the truth is that I can get away with anything. On the occasional business trips I take, I would definitely choose it. It stands up on the side of my desk without needing to be propped up. I've also found that when I'm on the subway or a bus, the stiffer ballistic Co-Pilot is easier to zip and unzip one-handed, because it has more structure.

As others have pointed out, the dyneema has its advantages too. I probably will take my Nordic when traveling on my next leisure trip, particularly if I want to use it for part of the trip and pack it flat inside of my suitcase on other days. And it is sometimes my weekend bag, when I do not want to be carrying a black bag that has a luggage-type look.

Annndddd that does it. I'm going to get a nylon pilot. Thanks for all the comments they really helpd me make my decision!

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I will offer a different perspective. I own the Co-Pilot in both black ballistic and in Nordic dyneema. I bought the second because it is such a pretty color, a little lighter, and thought it might pack flat if I wanted to put it in another bag while traveling. I have found that I use the ballistic most of the time. I feel that it is more protective of the precious electronics I carry inside. Particularly in this crazy Boston winter, with snow, sleet and freezing rain, I trust the ballistic fabric more. The solid color is more appropriate for work, though since I'm in academia, the truth is that I can get away with anything. On the occasional business trips I take, I would definitely choose it. It stands up on the side of my desk without needing to be propped up. I've also found that when I'm on the subway or a bus, the stiffer ballistic Co-Pilot is easier to zip and unzip one-handed, because it has more structure.

As others have pointed out, the dyneema has its advantages too. I probably will take my Nordic when traveling on my next leisure trip, particularly if I want to use it for part of the trip and pack it flat inside of my suitcase on other days. And it is sometimes my weekend bag, when I do not want to be carrying a black bag that has a luggage-type look.
    I'm in total agreement with your assessment (only in my case it's a steel dyneema copilot).
    I also use my black ballistic for that "professional" luggage look, only I would add "stealth" to the adjectives.

Everything above being black and white, there is always a shade of grey lurking behind that thought.
    I also use a steel ballistic copilot, for a more casual/stealth appearance and structural back up to the zippering process.

Which only means a slippery slope after I check out my black ballistic / Iberian pilot that's awaiting me at home when I return from Nashville. :-/

UPS finally delivered my "Thursday" package, full of shiny new stuff. I only had time to peek at it* but will do a more thorough exploration in a few hours. Good thing it arrived, because it is going to snow again later this week, and apparently that throws their entire operation** into a tailspin.

*At first glance, the steel/uv Pilot seems like a keeper.

**By 'their entire operation', I'm referring to UPS, not Tom Bihn. TB has their act together. Or it doesn't snow much in Seattle. Or both.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 02-10-2014 at 12:10 PM.

UPS finally delivered my "Thursday" package
    Yes, I also received my bag today and must admit I am pretty pleased. The bag is really just what I wanted a slightly larger version of the Co-Pilot without being so large that I’m tempted to overload it.

The only minor issue I have with the bag is the lack of padding on the bottom. I realize adding padding may reduce the flexibility of the bag for people that want to pack the bag inside another bag, so it probably makes sense to leave it out. I suspect a rolled up travel towel on the bottom of the rear compartment will be all I need and it might be nice to have a towel along.

I took the opportunity to order an Absolute Strap even though I’ve read some debates about whether it’s needed on a smaller bag. I suspect it might be a little much on the Co-Pilot, but I think it’s a great investment for the larger Pilot.

While the Co-Pilot may be a better choice for the original purpose as a supplemental carry-on bag the Pilot really hits the spot as an EDC or even small overnight bag.

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    UPS finally delivered my "Thursday" package, full of shiny new stuff. I only had time to peek at it* but will do a more thorough exploration in a few hours. Good thing it arrived, because it is going to snow again later this week, and apparently that throws their entire operation into a tailspin.

*At first glance, the steel/uv Pilot seems like a keeper.
    Mine's "Out for delivery" today, too. And since the entire Pakistan conference has been postponed (though it looks like my visa will FINALLY arrive today, too) due to the mistakes of yet another branch of the Pakistani bureaucracy, I might yet get to use it for its intended purpose.

I just received my new Pilot in the mail...hooray! But I noticed that I got the Absolulte strap (which I paid for) but I assumed that I would also get the simple strap too. Do you get one or the other?

Edited to add: This Pilot is sick!! I am able to fit more than I imagined and the Eagle Creek large packing sac, which can fit a change of clothes, fits like a dream in the Pilot. I am more than happy with this bag and so glad I splurged on the absolute strap.

Another reaction: Although the Side Effect fits in one of the side pockets I feel that the 3D clear Cube organizer is a better fit in these pockets because it doesn't take up all the room in the pocket. So glad I got the 3D in Azalea (girly color!).
    Last edited by MelissaL; 02-10-2014 at 11:07 AM.
    Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25, Side Effect,small shop bag, large shop bag, travel tray, 3D Organizer Cube

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaL View Post
    I just received my new Pilot in the mail...hooray! But I noticed that I got the Absolulte strap (which I paid for) but I assumed that I would also get the simple strap too. Do you get one or the other?

Edited to add: This Pilot is sick!! I am able to fit more than I imagined and the Eagle Creek large packing sac, which can fit a change of clothes, fits like a dream in the Pilot. I am more than happy with this bag and so glad I splurged on the absolute strap.

Another reaction: Although the Side Effect fits in one of the side pockets I feel that the 3D clear Cube organizer is a better fit in these pockets because it doesn't take up all the room in the pocket. So glad I got the 3D in Azalea (girly color!).
    You get the Absolute strap in place of the default strap when you select that option in your order. This is probably the first time I've ordered a bag without the Absolute strap in a long time, because I already have more than one Absolute strap.

I prefer to use the UltraSuede lined pocket for the iPad Mini (which can hold it with the case), when using it in the Pilot, to storing it inside the 400d Dyneema Side Effect. You can still get Cordura colors like Azalea, Plum, Storm, and Turquoise in the 3D Clear Organizer Cube. The Eagle Creek large Specter 2 cube does fit the back pocket.

Also, I think they give you a ten dollar discount on the Absolute Strap when ordered with the bag, so they do not include the standard strap.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    The Eagle Creek large Specter 2 cube does fit the back pocket.
    Good to know! Thanks.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    The Eagle Creek large Specter 2 cube does fit the back pocket.
    @taminca Here are the specs:
    Specter cube
    DIMENSIONS
    14 x 10 x 3 in / 36 x 25 x 8 cm

Pilot Large Packing Cube:
    Dimensions: 14.8" x 11" x 2.5" / 375 x 280 x 65 mm
    Weight: 4 oz / 110g
    Volume: 425 cubic inches / 7 liters (ASTM Standard Measure)

The Pilot Large Packing Cube is designed to leave room for the cache on rails in the back pocket. The light-weight Sil nylon of the Specter 2 cube also leaves you with some leeway for "squashability" of what you insert.

What people may also find interesting is that the Small Pilot Packing Cubes can also fit well into the front pocket of the Cadet -- it's just about the height if that pocket, and fairly slim, in order to,fit in the left and right front pockets of the Pilot and still leave room for accessing the inserts for holding pens and your Phone or glasses (right pocket), of your iPad Mini or other tablet (left pocket)

Pilot Small Packing Cube
    Dimensions: 10.8" x 6.3" x 2.4" / 275 x 160 x 60 mm
    Weight: 2 oz / 65g
    Volume: 125 cubic inches / 2 liters (ASTM Standard Measure)

HTH.

P.S. A couple of further notes: the Eagle Creek Specter 2 cubes are nice for ultra-light packing, but the Sil-nylon fabric is so thin that they basically take their shape from the contents that are stuffed inside. The smooth texture makes them easy to slide out. The Dyneema packing cubes hold their shape better, especially when not completely filled, so I generally prefer to use them in my travel luggage, especially since they fit more exactly. The web loop on the packing cube also makes it easier to pull out, since the Eagle Creek cubes have handles "on top " (which would face the side of the Pilot when inserted). But for the Pilot, the Eagle Creek Cube fit is a pretty good match.

Another comment is that the Large Packing Cube for the Pilot is also a good fit for the interior of the Synapse 25. It's bigger than the Tri-Star Medium and Western Flyer Small Packing Cubes, both of which can be used inside the Synapse 19 (and Synapse 25):

Tri-Star Medium
    TB0948 12.8" x 11.3"x 2.4" / 325 x 288 x 60mm 3.2 oz / 90gr

Western Flyer Small
    TB0955/TB0956 11.7" x 8.6" x 3" / 298 x 218 x 75mm 3 oz / 85gr

This information should probably go into another separate post/thread about packing cubes so it can be easily accessed. I was looking these up for atarango1, who wanted to know which Eagle Creek cubes could be used in her Tri-Star in place of the Dyneema packing cubes designed for that bag. Generally, I mostly use the Eagle Creek quarter cubes, which are intermediate between a 3D Organizer Cube and a Side Effect in size.
    Last edited by moriond; 02-10-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added Postscript about packing cube fit to Synapse 25
    taminca likes this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kkintea; 02-10-2014 at 05:18 PM.
    * Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

Look who finally made it to the party!! Love it!!

Front left pocket is my iPad mini cache and UV 3D cube... front right is Steel Dyneema Side Effect and new Nordic wallet.... main compartment is MacBook Air cache (pre-rails), a Nordic small shop bag, and UV medium organizer pouch. They fit further into the pocket; this was just to show what can go in there. After that I added a letter sized file folder between the cache and the two pockets and it fit with plenty of room. The back pocket (which also unzips to fit over a roller bag) is a lot more spacious than I thought.

I also have an umbrella in the water bottle compartment at the moment. Lots of room leftover there too. And the red cord pulls look AMAZING. On a quick test, it stands up on its own partially full. The dyneema pilot has a lot of give but way more structure than the dyneema swift, which was the last bag to join the family. I am really digging this bag and I have yet to leave the house with it!

Last edited by kkintea; 02-10-2014 at 05:26 PM.
    * Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post

Handsome pictures! I love the detailing of the Dyneema and the way that the side view shows the pattern angled at the top, and also at a bias in the bottom front. Love the red pupils on your bag, and the ultraviolet and Nordic against the interior.

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0