Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
Like Tree702Likes

Thread: The New Pilot Available for Pre-order in January 2014!

Yep, the package apparently moved on to Chelmsford MA this morning, after its long vacation. Jeez, it was only a few inches of snow, and most of us were getting around normally. Now I'd be very surprised to receive it today. I was really expecting to at least have it delivered before the weekend.

MellissaL, that is so sad! "See what you have done, UPS!!!" ... shakes fist at sky

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaL View Post
    I too got the dreaded weather notice (mine was due today). Still hoping I get it. I actually brought all my belongings in a paper sack today so I could transfer it to my new bag and carry it home. Now my paper sack is breaking LOL!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Beau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Well, my Pilot arrived today, but came with postage due on the Priority USPS mail (apparently, if they ship in boxes larger than a certain size, the postage calculation gets kicked up to some new method based on the box size), I think the result came out to more than it would have been if shipped via UPS. This is likely due to asking them to ship the Nordic/Solar version, too. I did manage to just drive out to claim the package at the Post Office before it closed for the day. Whew!
    Sorry about that extra postage! We're going to send you an email shortly in order to get more details and hopefully figure out exactly what happened.
    moriond likes this.
    emailus@tombihn.com or call U.S./Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries +1-206-652-4123

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Sorry about that extra postage! We're going to send you an email shortly in order to get more details and hopefully figure out exactly what happened.
    @Beau Considering all the folks who are still waiting for their orders due to the weather delays, and jmoz, who also is trying to deal with the inefficiencies of his Visa processing on top of that, I'm just as happy that I was able to pick up my parcel! It's not the extra postage so much as that moment of panic when you find the note that USPS left in place of your parcel (like some wretched changeling), and you wonder whether there's enough time to get to the Post Office before it closes. I think this has happened twice before (both cases where I added items to my shipment after the initial order). One time I was able to run after the USPS delivery person before he left, because of fortuitous timing. The second time I wasn't able to get down to the Post Office before it closed, and the package waited there over the weekend.

I think the problem is that the USPS uses dimensional weight pricing on Priority mail shipments to postal zones 5-8. The argument is that this better reflects the true handling costs for the parcel, so that for mail zones for which air shipments of priority mail are being used, having a light parcel in a box that exceeds 1 cubic foot in size immediately bumps the pricing up to a new rate that is determined by the volume of the package, irrespective of the actual weight. This pricing scheme is not reflected in the shipping charge calculator on the web site. Basically, because the USPS deems that handling the larger volume boxes is more difficult, a slight bump up in size of the shipping box can result in a much larger bump in shipping costs by priority mail, if you're in a mail zone (like Hawaii), where this is primarily served by air shipments.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Yep, the package apparently moved on to Chelmsford MA this morning, after its long vacation. Jeez, it was only a few inches of snow, and most of us were getting around normally. Now I'd be very surprised to receive it today. I was really expecting to at least have it delivered before the weekend.
    @bchaplin Much earlier in this thread (around 1/27/14) you asked about using the Breve for the iPad with the Pilot. Did you win the Kiwi Breve in the eBay auction? (My post with some links about this is #256, and maverick's video showing the Kiwi Breve can be seen here:
    I think this might be an awesome way to carry the iPad and its accessories in the Pilot.

I didn't have time to take pictures of the Pilot this morning, but I did get a chance to experiment a bit with it (will try to post some pictures tonight or tomorrow). The Breve can be secured to the top webbing loops (the ones that attach to the Gatekeeper Rail Clips when the Cache with Rails is used) by threading a Handle Loop through those loops. Use one of the Handle Loops with the Snaphook end. (If you have the older version of the Handle Loop with a Snaphook without the adjustable slide, it works a little better for this purpose). I store the Breve in the Pilot's back compartment with the zippered pocket side for the iPad facing the front of the bag (for easy access). The snap hook for the handle loop gets attached to the shoulder strap connector for the Breve at the right side, and the "loop' end of the Handle loop is pointing left, and threaded through the rightmost webbing loop. Use a Double Carabiner to secure the end of the handle loop to the left webbing loop.

Basically, in this configuration the handle loop makes a horizontal band that goes through the webbing loops at the back of the Pilot's rear compartment and is held fixed there, with the snap hook end attached to the shoulder strap connector of the Breve at the right side. Because the Breve sits at just the right height in the compartment, and is wide enough (though flat) to fill the back compartment of the Pilot, it works very well this way. (Actually, the Breve works better than putting the iPad in a cache into the back compartment, since the Pilot is both wider and taller than the Co-Pilot, which is more exactly sized for holding an iPad in a cache.)

If you want to access the front compartment of the Breve, with the zippered pockets for holding the accessories, just take hold of the left side of the Breve and swing it up and to the right, out of the Pilot's back compartment. You can unclip it from the snap hook tether to the handle loop, and snap on your shoulder strap to carry the Breve with iPad and accessories separately from the Pilot. I have to say that my Cardinal Breve looks really good against both the Nordic and Black 400d Dyneema fabrics of the Pilot.

I'm really curious about all the active Tom Bihn eBay auctions that have been going on recently. For example, there was a Nordic Co-Pilot sold in the UK, and very recently an auction for a Cardinal Breve by the same seller closed. Were any of these items picked up by any forum members?

moriond

Corrected to note that double carabiner secures Handle end of Handle loop to "Left" webbing loop. The loop end of the Handle loop that was passed through the right webbing loop almost reaches the left webbing loop. Clip one end of the double carabiner to the loop end of the handle strap and the other end of the double carabiner to the left webbing loop. The handle loop end is pretty well positioned and sized for this connection.
    Last edited by moriond; 02-07-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: A dyslexic moment: double carabiner attaches to left webbing loop

@moriond - That's neat! No, I didn't win it. To be truthful I kept my bid kind of low. I wanted it, but at the same time, I have SO MANY FREAKIN' BAGS already.

I did not bid on anything else, but I'm always looking. It's fun to see what's being sold and always the chance there will be something in the perfect colors for me.

Are there any pilot reviews out there yet?

Also, seems that many people are going for the dyneema. I was hoping to use the pilot as a daily briefcase for work, in a semi professional environment, but I don't think dyneema would cut it in terms of looks. Am I wrong?

Also strangely I have been waffling in the past few days and might end up going with a copilot... I'm so indecisive.

Just look around. There are quite a few people who received their Pilots and posted photos and comments, in this thread. Also there is a review here : (Just got my Pilot! (keywords: Cadet, freudian slip, ipad mini, macbook air, folders)).

Personally, I prefer the ballistic version.

I think the Nordic would be acceptable in all except the most depressingly uptight corporate settings. But I hope no one reading this works at a place like that. The Nordic looks different enough to stand out from other bags but it isn't flashy at all. Not that flashy is bad if that's what you're going for.

Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post

Also, seems that many people are going for the dyneema.
    I am one of those individuals who purchase the Pilor. I got it in Nordic. I'm currently testing it out. I flew with it out to Kansas, and now I am currently driving south with it in a 36 foot Class A RV. I purchased the Nordic for two reasons. 1. I have a Western Flyer that I'm pairing it with that is also Nordic (UV interior) and I liked the matchy matchy look. Also, my back and shoulder have been giving me fits lately, so I'm trying to shave ounces wherever I can. The other color that I love is the Steel/UV ballistic bag, but I couldn't afford to get two.

I'm not in a professional field right now, but I imagine the Nordic would work quite well professionally for many, although I understand for some (like my brother-in-law who works for a major insurance company) wouldn't be able to use it.

As to how well it has been working, I can get more detailed after I get back and think about it for awhile, but as of right now it is just what I was looking for.

I ordered a different strap for it via Amazon made by OpTech. It's just like the Absolute Strap, but smaller. In fact, I think OpTech makes TB's Absolute Straps, although I can't say that for a fact. The strap works very well.

It is carrying my electronic cables and iPad. I'm not using it to carry my laptop as it is a 17" brick. Additionally, it's carrying my knitting, my Kindle Keyboard, iPhone, basic toiletries and medictions, a few knitting tools in the TB knitting pouches, as well as my TB Travel Tray for my catch all items at night. So far, it's working brilliantly. I do know there are other things in it as well, but I can't put my mind to what they are, currently. It's my hope to capture photos and commentary upon my return.

As to whether to get the Co-Pilot or Pilot, this is my experience. I actually had the Co-Pilot in Steel/UV that I ended up returning for the Pilot. It's a lovely bag, but just didn't have enough carry capacity to work for me. If you plan at all to carry papers or even a laptop at all, then I personally think the Pilot is the way to go. It is a bag that isn't much bigger than the Co-Pilot, but so much more versatile in my opnion. It crosses over nicely from travel bag, overnight bag, work bag, knitting bag, and EDC. Of course, to each his own. That's why I love Tom Bihn. He makes bags that appeal to many different types of people for all their varying needs!

Here's a pic or two to give you some ideas about sizing comparisons for the Pilot versus the Co-Pilot:

And here are a few more for consideration... It's posing with its family, the Western Flyer and my new Side Effect:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So UPS finally got their act together, and my Pilot SHOULD be here on Monday! That's good news, because IF I still do go to Pakistan (it's still up in the air), I won't be leaving until Tuesday now. I should know by Monday whether I'm leaving on Tuesday. I'm a bit apprehensive, but I'm glad I'll (probably) get to bring my Pilot if I do go.

mausermama - hope you're staying warm! The Nordic family looks lovely.

Now that I'm in Mississippi, I'm MUCH warmer!

Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post

Also, seems that many people are going for the dyneema. I was hoping to use the pilot as a daily briefcase for work, in a semi professional environment, but I don't think dyneema would cut it in terms of looks. Am I wrong?

Also strangely I have been waffling in the past few days and might end up going with a copilot... I'm so indecisive.
    I carried the Nordic pilot to a business meeting where everyone was wearing suits, so formal end of the spectrum. No one seemed to find it unusual. And the color really popped against my black suit

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0