Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
Like Tree704Likes

Thread: The New Pilot Available for Pre-order in January 2014!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  492.2 KB

Shoulder strap packing cube on top of Pilot.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WMW40 View Post
    I received my Nordic Pilot and goodies today. I'm very pleased with the color and the fabric. I was concerned I'd find the Dyneema to be flimsy but not at all. I'm having trouble posting photos here (getting a red exclamation point---is my file size too big?) but as others have pointed out, photos don't quite capture the color which is very rich with a nice amount of sheen. I think it stands out just enough without screaming "hey look at me".

<snip>

Negatives? I don't really have any. I thought the large compartment would zip down flat but having gotten the set of packing cubes, it won't be a problem to get folded clothes into the bag.

I'm not a briefcase sort of guy but I bet this might be a first choice for some. Plenty of pockets and versatile enough to make with it what you want.
    Agree that it is hard to extrapolate the texture and feeling of durability of the 400d Dyneema without seeing/trying it in person. Yes, the center pocket where you've placed your lens is the water bottle pocket and yes, the two pockets in the main section can hold an iPad Mini, or two side effects or two 3D cubes. I can actually fit an iPad Mini in its case into a Side Effect that should fit into the pocket (based on the same size pocket used in the Co-Pilot), but that's with using a 400d Dyneema Side Effect. And Dyneema Side Effects, which are larger than 3D organizer cubes, will slide in more easily into those pockets than the Ballistic Nylon SE versions. Glad to hear you like the Nordic/Solar combination for the Pilot. I also have this combination (and Black 400d Dyneema/Wasabi) for my Side Effect, and I have a couple of Clear Organizer Wallets that just got issued in Nordic and Black 400d Dyneema coming with my Pilot shipment.

I like your Iberian Packing Cube Backpack. Did you get the Cardinal Western Flyer just before that model disappeared? (It was available in the WF for a while after the notice that Cardinal Ballistic Nylon was being retired.)
    Last edited by moriond; 02-04-2014 at 03:42 PM.

@ WMW40: fantastic pics of the inside of the Pilot! Makes me really want to love Solar.

Solar key strap, I'm in. Anything bigger and I just don't "swoon" as quoted in this thread. Nordic is a complete other story. I am waiting for the day 200D appears as the lining of one of these bags.
    Janine likes this.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Grey DLBC * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Sorry about that -- that's our mistake! Anyone/everyone who received only black cord will be receiving a baggie of red and black in the mail within the next two weeks.
    I got an email from Trevor yesterday to say there is a package on its way to me by USPS First Class International - which I would assume is the baggie of cords. Bizarrely, when I checked the tracking number, USPS' website tells me its current status is:

Held in US Customs
    Your item is being held in US Customs for further inspection.

I do wonder what they must be thinking!
    WMW40 likes this.
    A45 C/S TS N/S A30 A/W BB N/S S19 N/S P N/S CP B/S; SE W SCB C/O CQPC I,S Ri A/S 3DCC C,F TSS4 W K C TT S,N,B CC C/S PCBP S PP N QK F,C,A

@moriond: I am new to owning Tom Bihn, as I just got the Western Flyer a couple of months ago. I got it primarily because I wanted something a bit smaller than my Red Oxx Sky Train so that I wouldn't be tempted to overpack and have a bag that weighed heavily on my back. And now with the Pilot, I have something even smaller than the Western Flyer for when I want to travel ultra ultra light. Thank you for your tips on the pockets and organizers. There are so many to chose from I'm still trying to see what works for me. I did get the packing cubes for the Pilot and Western Flyer as well as a travel sack, travel tray, 3D packing cube and a couple of pouches. I'll see how I'm going to use all of these on my next trip.

This thread is making me want a Side Effect. Damnit, I thought I was finished.
    Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25, Side Effect,small shop bag, large shop bag, travel tray, 3D Organizer Cube

MelissaL-- don't you know? With Tom Bihn bags you are never finished!!!! (I'm agonizing over a TriStar)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaL View Post
    This thread is making me want a Side Effect. Damnit, I thought I was finished.
    I think several others have had similar feelings. A check of the Side Effect Product page shows that the Nordic/Solar SE and a few others have gone into back order until mid-April status since the first Pilots started arriving and all these pictures got posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by atarango1 View Post
    MelissaL-- don't you know? With Tom Bihn bags you are never finished!!!! (I'm agonizing over a TriStar)
    Ain't it the truth!
    Last edited by moriond; 02-05-2014 at 12:00 PM.

It's here! It's beautiful! (Steel/UV).

Some specific things I was answering on Ravelry about the water bottle pocket:
    The water bottle pocket fits (left to right) a 16 Oz Klean Kanteen with cafe lid, an insulated Contigo, a 24 oz Tervis, and my tall non-insulated Contigo. (sorry don’t know the sizes of the Contigos. Both were bought at Costco). I thought for sure, with the weird handle things on top, the white Tervis and purple Contigo would not fit, but they do. I did have to turn the purple Contigo sideways.

Name:  P1050161.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  672.8 KB
    Name:  P1050160.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  593.2 KB

It is just the right size. Larger than the Co-Pilot, but not enough to make it feel like a different bag. Shown here with Black/Plum Swift and Black/UV Co-Pilot

Name:  P1050155.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  355.3 KBName:  P1050162.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  790.5 KB

Facing the Pilot, the pocket to right of the water bottle pocket has a narrow black ultra suede lined pocket next to the pen/pencil slots…. perfect for glasses!

Name:  P1050164.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  810.9 KB

On the other side, a large black ultra suede pocket fits an iPad Mini (not in case) perfectly.

I can't wait to start packing it for my upcoming conference. I specifically want to see if I can get away with only taking the Pilot. I will have to look "professional", travel by plane (thus I will want to bring knitting), and will have to carry stuff with me all day (hotel is offsite from main events).
    Last edited by gochicken; 02-05-2014 at 01:08 PM.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

My Pilot shipped last Thursday 1/30 with a delivery date of Thursday 2/6. So, today I eagerly checked the latest UPS tracking information and it stated that deliver information was not available due to, “Late Train”. Sort of frustrating and funny at the same time, but at this point all I can hope is that the stagecoach is on time.

gochicken's size comparison photos are extremely informative and well-done. The steel-ballistic exterior and ultraviolet-dyneema interior on gochicken's new Pilot looks fantastic, BTW.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

I have been told to expect a delay due to 'adverse weather conditions'. While disappointing, to someone on the East Coast of the U.S. this week that seems more informative than 'late train'!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
    My Pilot shipped last Thursday 1/30 with a delivery date of Thursday 2/6. So, today I eagerly checked the latest UPS tracking information and it stated that deliver information was not available due to, “Late Train”. Sort of frustrating and funny at the same time, but at this point all I can hope is that the stagecoach is on time.

Quote Originally Posted by gochicken View Post
    Thanks, gochicken! It's nice to have a preview. I ordered this combination and may receive it someday, when the UPS truck can make its way through the blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by gochicken View Post
    It certainly is beautiful, gochicken! I have never considered steel/UV until seeing your photos. I ordered Black Dyneema/Wasabi to match my Aeronaut but now...
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Seeing what will fit into the pilot if used as a weekend (or longer) bag. Inside the large packing cube I bundled: long sleeve T, fleece sweater, long sleeve polo, two pairs of underwear and a swimsuit. I did bundle tighter than in larger bags. I then folded the jeans on top of the bundle. When I tried to bundle the jeans with the other clothes, the bundle was too bulky for the large packing cube. This was about the max amount of clothing the cube would hold although you could fit more if you packed thinner clothes (no jeans or sweater). The packed bundle fit nicely into the Pilot without making it bulge. I'd highly recommend the packing cube if using the Pilot for clothes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bags: Western Flyer, Pilot, Brain Bag, Medium Café Bag

Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0