Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast
Like Tree704Likes

Thread: The New Pilot Available for Pre-order in January 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    I'm actually feeling a little encouraged by your assessment, although I'm sorry you're not finding it a good fit currently. I'm hoping it will be "just right." May I ask how you were planning on using the bag? I'm hoping to use mine as a lightweight carry on bag and also an iPad bag for when I take the device out of the house. As a knitter, I'm also wanting to tuck some knitting inside it as well.
    Me too! As soon as I saw "not as big as expected" and "steel dyneema shipped", I took the plunge and ordered!

Did anyone else notice the pilot comes with two color pulls: black and red?? I can't find the red listed elsewhere. And the anticipation ratchets up.... Can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Darcy likes this.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    Did anyone else notice the pilot comes with two color pulls: black and red?? I can't find the red listed elsewhere. And the anticipation ratchets up.... Can't wait!
    They actually shipped me the Lead's Pocket Pouch (HT Parapack Nylon -- purchase in Navy separately from the Guide's Pack) with cord pulls in both Coyote and Red Paracord. And one of the Co-Pilot reviews (I think it was) posted pictures in which the author installed red zipper pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    I'm actually feeling a little encouraged by your assessment, although I'm sorry you're not finding it a good fit currently. I'm hoping it will be "just right." May I ask how you were planning on using the bag? I'm hoping to use mine as a lightweight carry on bag and also an iPad bag for when I take the device out of the house. As a knitter, I'm also wanting to tuck some knitting inside it as well.
    Great looking bag, excellent quality, and everything you expect from TB. I was hoping to use it as my EDC, however the items I have in my Synapse 19 will not all fit comfortably. I should have known, there is a significant difference in volume between the two bags. I could certainly make it work with fewer items, but I already have a Cadet or Imago that fit that role when required. I use the smaller bags when I attend board meetings or travel inside of my Tri-Star. I did however look at the Brain Bag in black parapack while at the store, I love it! I travel often and have been using the Tri-Star or Aeronaut in backpack mode, I never considered the Brain Bag until today. I tried it on and I like the way it fits me and love the utility of it. I am going to do a trade.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

Is the Pilot weight listed on the website for the Dyneema or Ballistic version? Most products include both weights, but I can only find one on the Pilot....

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I have a question about this new bag...

The Pilot's product page says that the exterior zippers are YKK Aquaguard. But the photos (quoted here) make the zippers look conventional (non-splash-proof). Which is it?
    Last edited by MtnMan; 01-31-2014 at 06:57 PM.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Another question: can the new Pilot be used as an improvised packing cube in the main compartment of an Aeronaut for a trip, then repurposed as an EDC once at the destination? Will it fit in the Aeronaut?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Sloth View Post
    Is the Pilot weight listed on the website for the Dyneema or Ballistic version? Most products include both weights, but I can only find one on the Pilot....

thanks.
    I'm pretty sure the weight given on the product page for the Pilot is for the single Ballistic Nylon version in Black Ballistic Nylon/Wasabi that was the only fully assembled model available until a few days ago, Scaling from the Co-Pilot, the 400d Dyneema should give a 30% weight saving over ballistic Nylon, but Darcy, Beau, or one of the other Tom Bihn folks can probably provide a more exact answer now.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    I have a question about this new bag...

The Pilot's product page says that the exterior zippers are YKK Aquaguard. But the photos (quoted here) make the zippers look conventional (non-splash-proof). Which is it?
    I assume all the earlier comments about using an inverted zipper design that Darcy and other forum members referenced earlier in this thread means that the Aquaguard reinforcement is on the underside of the zippers. This would particularly make sense if the Pilot is going to be frequently used as a personal carryon item that is often carried inside of other bags (e.g.,, in the middle section of the TriStar), because the Aquaguard protection would remain present (on the underside of the zippers), but would not rub against the inside contents of the bag, and get worn down. I assume that Darcy's earlier comments abouthow pleased they are with the inverted zipper design, and how they plan to incorporate it into the manufacturing of other bags, such as the Synapse, over the next 6 months, means that their testing has shown up the advantages of this design feature.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Another question: can the new Pilot be used as an improvised packing cube in the main compartment of an Aeronaut for a trip, then repurposed as an EDC once at the destination? Will it fit in the Aeronaut?
    The Pilot fits into the center compartment of the Aeronaut and pretty much fills its length and width. The Pilot can hold lots of gear so if it's pretty full it also takes up much of the height of the compartment too. Lightly filled the Pilot could work as a packing cube, but it seems like it could be a perfect companion bag.

Hi all! I received my new Nordic/Solar Pilot, with the large and small packing cubes, and the Nordic/solar side effect. They are all gorgeous! I am already putting the pilot to use as my 13" MacBook Air keeper! It fits in there like a glove in it's cache! The side effect does easily slide into one of the 2 pockets in the main part of the Pilot, don't overload it though. I am happy, Happy , HAPPY!!!
    moriond and WenV like this.

My black dyneema/wasabi pilot has shipped. Woot! Woot!
    Last edited by jannilee; 02-01-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Confession time - email sent to the nice folks at TB to add 1 black dyneema/wasabi to my backordered loot. @Moriond, that loot includes a LS in black dyneema/iberian.

I am still HOPING for the pilot to be made available in black dyneema/iberian.

I impulse pre-ordered a Nordic/Solar Pilot as soon as they were available. Expected mid-February. Well, we were in Hawaii from Jan. 16-27. The weekend before we were to come home ( :^( ) I got an email notice that my Pilot was ready for pickup. Yay! Too late for our Hawaii trip, but Yay anyway! Due to bad weather back east the plane coming in to KOA was late, so our KOA>SFO flight was delayed and we missed our SFO>SEA connection the night of the 27th. Got re-booked for the morning of the 28th. The Tom Bihn store is right on the way home (I mean RIGHT ON THE WAY...we take East Marginal Way S on the way from SeaTac airport to our house near Green Lake in Seattle). We stopped in and picked up the Pilot along with a Nordic/Solar Side Effect for me and a travel stuff sack for Mrs. spamjam. Awesome! Guess I was one of the first people in the universe to get a Pilot. Unfortunately we're not going anywhere for a while, so I don't know when I get to try it out. Just did the Hawaii thing, did a cruise across the Atlantic for a total Solar eclipse (heh! solar!) in November, and hemorrhaged $$ doing house remodeling from last August through November. Maybe we'll have to sneak in an M's spring training trip (and side trip to southern Utah??) in March.

I was just reading the product description on the Pilot page and read that five black and five red cords were to be included. I only got five black cords. Which is correct? Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by spamjam View Post
    I was just reading the product description on the Pilot page and read that five black and five red cords were to be included. I only got five black cords. Which is correct? Inquiring minds want to know.
    I also only got the black cords, but I assumed it was something to do with colour matching because my Pilot is Nordic/Solar? I'd actually quite like red cords on it too! Must admit I hadn't noticed the description on the product page until now, though...
    A45 C/S TS N/S A30 A/W BB N/S S19 N/S P N/S CP B/S; SE W SCB C/O CQPC I,S Ri A/S 3DCC C,F TSS4 W K C TT S,N,B CC C/S PCBP S PP N QK F,C,A

Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0