Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast
Like Tree702Likes

Thread: The New Pilot Available for Pre-order in January 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    This is awesome -- two uses for the Pilot even we didn't envision (well, maybe Tom did, but I didn't!)
    [ahem] ... and then there are those of us who can go on a cruise with our Tri-Stars!! There are really only two annoyances with this:

1) Your room is typically not ready right away depending on when you check in on the cruise. You then need to sit around with a big carryon.

2) On the day of disembarkation, they send you off to eat breakfast in a dining room as they start loading people off... and you have to carry your carryons with you. It's a little cumbersome to carry a Tri-Star through the dining room. ...of course that said, it also means you don't have to finish packing the night before because you don't have to leave your Tri-Star in the hallway for the crew to process at night!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I have waited for this for a long time. I love my Co-Pilot and think it is the perfect bag and can't wait to get the Pilot. My Co-Pilot is my EDC but will use the Pilot more because now I can carry my MBP 13 and clothes to go the gym, ref, travel. Perfect. If only it was here for my BDay!

Boy, just reading all of these posts daily has my mouth watering. I am day-dreaming of all the things I may be able to do with my Nordic/Solar Pilot to be! I even envision overnighting with it on a business trip! And less dog hair "attached" too. Yes, I have a hairy Husky/Shepard mix named Reagan, who just can't wait to sniff the pilot to see where we are going next!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rydude87 View Post
    So the new zippers will be on the synapse and brain bag too? Do you have an eta of when the zippers will be implemented in to the synapse and brain bag?
    Not the Brain Bag, just bags that already have YKK Aquaguard splash-proof zippers -- and those zippers will remain the same, it's just that they'll be sewn right-side up. That change won't be happening in this next batch of Synapses… it'll likely be a slow change over the next six months.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    [ahem] ... and then there are those of us who can go on a cruise with our Tri-Stars!! There are really only two annoyances with this:

1) Your room is typically not ready right away depending on when you check in on the cruise. You then need to sit around with a big carryon.

2) On the day of disembarkation, they send you off to eat breakfast in a dining room as they start loading people off... and you have to carry your carryons with you. It's a little cumbersome to carry a Tri-Star through the dining room. ...of course that said, it also means you don't have to finish packing the night before because you don't have to leave your Tri-Star in the hallway for the crew to process at night!
    I took my first cruise (a Disney cruise) over Thanksgiving for a family reunion, and I was the only one in our group of 16 that didn't "check" my bags -- I used a Tri-Star and a Co-Pilot. (The trip extended beyond the cruise dates.)

I was fortunate that our room was ready when I boarded the boat, although the first thing we did was eat lunch anyway, and the Tri-Star wouldn't have bothered me in that situation. But now I know that the first day is the best time for kids to hit the pool and the water-slide rides, and having a carry-on bag could be a bit of a drag.

On the day of disembarkation, I was so much happier carrying my Tri-Star to breakfast than I would've been leaving it outside my room the night before. First, I don't like leaving my bags out in a hallway that random people pass thru. Second, I got to fully enjoy the final night on the cruise without the need to go back to my room for an hour and pack. (I prefer packing the morning that I leave, when my stay is complete.)

But back to the original topic, I think that if I *did* check my main bag, the Pilot would be a perfect little day bag for the first and last days of a cruise, with plenty of room for a tablet, phone, water bottle, toiletries, other valuables, swimsuit, and a change of clothes.
    Lani and Anniegill like this.

So I'm debating on the strap-- do you all think that the absolute strap will be overkill on the pilot? Should I just go with the regular padded strap? I've finally got colors decided but now I have to consider the strap!

If you don't have an absolute strap, I think it's a good investment! I use mine when I travel with the copilot and Aeronaut. If I overpack the copilot (which I never do 😄 ha, ha), it sure comes in handy for those long airport walks. And if I want to switch to shoulder carry for the Aeronaut and hand carry for the copilot it's easy. It really takes the feel of a weighted bag away from the shoulder. And the pilot IS the big brother to the copilot. What colors did you order for the pilot Atarango1?

The Absolute is very comfortable but was bit overkill on my CP (the S.O.S. is perfect). Since the Pilot is larger, it could work better on it. I recommend getting the Absolute and trying it out. If it doesn't work for you there, one can always use it elsewhere.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag
    - - - - Various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

Since you already own an Aeronaut and you likely already have an Absolute Shoulder Strap, you could try out the strap you have on the Pilot and then decide. I also found the Absolute Shoulder Strap to be overkill on my CoPilot. Someone in the forum recommended a smaller Absolute Strap made by Op Tech which, I am led to believe, makes TB's Absolute Straps. The smaller strap costs about $20 and is perfect for the CoPilot. If you find that the larger Absolute Strap is too much, you might look into the OpTech website for a smaller version.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

An Absolute Strap is an absolutely essential investment.

The Pilot is more of a minimalist briefcase. Since it was designed to hold laptops, tablets and papers, it will be heavier than its perfectly suited for EDC and personal item, smaller counterpart.

The Simple Strap is very nice but I can assure you that after a day of classes, workshops, hearings or even worse, mandatory and boring talks. You will be delighted to be able to clip the Absolute Strap and head to the nearest restaurant, bar/pub or your hotel room to put on casual clothes, keep your feet up and order room service.

Most conferences and policy related meetings happen in crowded downtown areas where parking and driving is usually a nightmare, even for residents.

Best bet is to take public transports which get really crowded at commute times, so, one has to stand and hold on to the support rails.
    Since shorter people hold on to the lower part, taller ones have to resort to the handles or the rails closer to the ceiling.
    In some cities, metros have street level trains, which sometimes get cut by drivers, while trying to get momentum to climb a hill or just stay on time.
    When the whole train want passengers to play tango, that Absolute Strap is going to absorb the force of the bag that is going to land on one's hip.

I have travelled under the conditions described above with and without the Absolute Strap.

I have an Absolute Strap, permanently installed in all my Large Cafe Bags and ready to be used with my Aeronaut or Tristar.

I even considered clipping it on my Swifts, when they were my library books transporters.

dlg
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We might come out with PC specific sizes later in 2014, but in the meantime, there's a lot of PCs that fit in the current Apple sizes. What make/model of PC do you have?
    It's an HP EliteBook 8440p. 14", maybe?

I ended up getting the Absolute Strap, and the Nordic/Solar Dyneema. This will be the first Dyneema bag that I have ordered--I got it so I could pack it easily, especially for a conference, within my large carry-on.

I am super excited. I have a Synapse 25 which I LUV- I use it every day to schlepp my work computer back and forth from my office and as my personal item for travel, and I always felt the co-pilot would be too small for all the crap I carry so I think the Pilot will be perfect.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by atarango1 View Post
    I ended up getting the Absolute Strap, and the Nordic/Solar Dyneema. This will be the first Dyneema bag that I have ordered--I got it so I could pack it easily, especially for a conference, within my large carry-on.

I am super excited. I have a Synapse 25 which I LUV- I use it every day to schlepp my work computer back and forth from my office and as my personal item for travel, and I always felt the co-pilot would be too small for all the crap I carry so I think the Pilot will be perfect.
    Did you also order a Nordic/Solar Dyneema Side Effect? I know you already have a Side Effect in Aubergine Ballistic Nylon/Wasabi, but I think the Pilot's main compartment design follows the Co-Pilot in having two open pouches of a size that can slip in a Side Effect. As others have noted, slipping in Dyneema Side Effects (or the smaller 3D organizer cubes) slip in more easily. Also, the Nordic color coordinates very well with the Navy of your Synapse 25.

Here's a picture of the 400d Dyneema Nordic/Solar Side Effect that forum member Proctor posted in another thread:
    Name:  5362d1390157323-omg-side-effect-available-nordic-solar-image.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  822.8 KB

My (own) Nordic/Solar Side Effect showed up last week.Gorgeous bag.But I can't take as stunning pictures of it!
    Last edited by moriond; 01-20-2014 at 11:46 AM.

I was in the store yesterday to pick up a few small items and had a chance to see the Pilot! It is exactly what I was hoping for and cannot wait to get my hands on it!
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel Aeronaut, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

I've been known to utter this phrase to my husband, who seems nonplussed and who has yet to take the bait:

"Oh you know, I'd really like to take a quick 3-day weekend trip to Seattle. Wouldn't that be fun? And oh, maybe while I'm there, I can visit the Tom Bihn store."

I think that since he's heard this phrase numerous times (including the last part), he's figured me out already.

Still... I would LOVE to be able to go to the store... to visit, to say OMG THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU BOW BOW BOW, and touch things (and hug them and kiss them and love them... oh erm...) in person.

I'll have to make sure I'm not contagious when I do. Or else anyone who buys anything will wind up with Lani germies!! lol.

==============

PS: I finally decided on the color. I bought the Steel Dyneema. I have so many other TB items in Steel Dyneema that it made the most sense to be able to match things up. I can't wait!!
    Last edited by Lani; 01-22-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0