Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree702Likes

Thread: The New Pilot Available for Pre-order in January 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by bradnd99 View Post
    I was just thinking about a great use for this bag. It is perfect for those times when you are traveling and MUST be separated from your main bags. You never know when those bags might get delayed or lost, so having a bag that can carry a change of clothes makes a lot of sense.
    ��
    This is exactly how I intend to use this bag. The S25 is too big, the Imago is too small, as is the CoPilot, for my use on flights. I always carry a change of clothing, binoculars, camera, Bose noise cancelling headphones (the big ones that fit over your ears), Ipad mini, Kindle, chargers, and stuff from inside my purse. Although I also carry another bag full of clothing, I am always prepared in the event I get gate checked and then the bag gets "lost"or the contents rifled. When we vacation, we are often off and running from the airport with places to go and things to see and don't have time or the itinerary to reoutfit ourselves if the gate-checked bag gets waylaid.

I would use it similarly for car travel, with the bulk of my clothing packed up in my larger bag, and things to use in the car placed in the Pilot--phone, wallet, kleenex, wipes, hand sanitizer, homework, maps and other destination paperwork, Kindle, Ipad mini, chargers, snacks, a sweater or light jacket, camera, sometimes binoculars, glasses case, sunglasses. On and on. The lovely little CoPilot doesn't quite accommodate an "ambitious" packer such as myself. And the Pilot clearly is not so big as it can't be used as an EDC if I wanted.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    The rail loops are going to be on the back part of the bag, and the interior pockets will be on the opposite side so as to not interfere with the removal and replacement of the Cache. So, it's a little different from the Co-Pilot.
    Thanks Beau, that is the very reason why I asked the question, cache interference with the pockets! Great news. Where is the O-ring located in the main compartment? Same side as the pockets?
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel Aeronaut, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

I think Tom did a nice job with the sizing on the bag. the pilot was first mentioned in post 4 of this thread: thoughts on upsizing the Co-Pilot

the intention of the Pilot was not to make a bag sized like the WF or their larger travel bags, but to make something in the travel product line aligned to the needs of travelers for a well-sized personal bag that would still meet the more stringent 'international size' limitations that many carriers are favoring. the co-pilot was a little small, and with the Pilot at nearly 32" inches in circumference, Tom succeeded in making a bag that could accommodate the current trend in laptop and electronics, with space to pack other items that travelers might want to separate from their checked or carry-on bag.

while the pilot was in development, i picked up a tumi alpha medium tote and have been happy with it as a personal bag. my only criticisms with the Tumi is that IMO the handles are a little chintzy (insufficient leather covering the handles and the handles could be a little beefier in volume for handling comfort) and the vertical orientation of the bag which isn't optimal to what i pack in the bag.

one thing that i like about the tumi is it's expandable and adding a similar feature to the Pilot would probably make it even more useful.

i can see getting a Pilot (nothing redundant with having multiple travel bags when if you're a bag geek like me ) and will think about adding this to my next TB purchase. i see that the pilot is back-ordered until Feb so I have some time to finalize my buy list.

Quote Originally Posted by jangle View Post
    JLE, I would also like to know why this size? I love the form and design and I'm sure I will buy one tonight. I had just so hoped for this bag to be sized more between the WF and the Aeronaut. That is the size I need for my one-bagging and the Tri-Star just does not do it for me.

Love this bag though!! Just gotta pick the color ~
    Last edited by Filmbuff; 01-11-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Well I just ordered mine. Nordic/solar, absolute strap and a cache. This is likely to become my primary bag for office visits - laptop, A5 filofax, A4 paperwork and various impedimenta. I have been in a synapse 19, but this should be smaller and better suited to the load. Roll on mid February!
    A45 crimson/steel; TS navy/solar; S19 nordic/steel; P nordic/solar; CP black/steel; SE wasabi; CQPC iberian, solar; Ri aubergine/steel; 3DCC cardinal; TSS4 wasabi; K cardinal; TT solar,nordic,black; CC cardinal/steel; PCBP solar; PP navy; + packing cubes galore!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcache View Post
    I had the opportunity to examine the Pilot prototype today....what an awesome bag! I am going to try and hold off purchasing it for a bit to see what other colors emerge. I also saw the olive para pack--it actually caught my eye from across the room. It almost looks like silk! So much wonderful ness every where I looked.
    Loving the Pilot myself from reading the specs and features. I, too, will hold off on ordering. I was hoping that the bag would be offered in Black Dyneema/Iberian OR the new parapack fabric. I keep hoping.

So I look forward to enjoying forum member photos of their Pilots when folks start posting.

Question

I noticed the photos with the Pilot shows the cadet laid out with cache rails. This implies the zippers go further around than the CoPilot making the Pilot lay flat when opened all the way.
    Is this true?
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post
    I noticed the photos with the Pilot shows the cadet laid out with cache rails. This implies the zippers go further around than the CoPilot making the Pilot lay flat when opened all the way.
    Is this true?
    If you're looking where I think you are, that's a packing cube with a cache directly next to it, but obviously not attached. I was confused by that picture at first, too.

If someone buys one of these new Pilots and already owns a Co-Pilot, would you please post some detailed comparison photos and maybe even a comparison video? That would be very much appreciated.

I'd also like to see someone try some aftermarket padded camera inserts in these bags to see how they work as photo/video bags.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

where do you live, maverick? i might have to break into your closet! almost as good as a trip to seattle to see all the bags in person!!

Just an FYI, for anyone who pre-ordered the Pilot, my credit card got charged right away. I ended up cancelling my order. I would rather wait to see the bag in photos and I'd rather pay for it when it is shipped.
    Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25, Side Effect,small shop bag, large shop bag, travel tray

Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    If you're looking where I think you are, that's a packing cube with a cache directly next to it, but obviously not attached. I was confused by that picture at first, too.
    Looking at all the pictures again, there is one with cache slid out and the zippers do not go all the way around.
    The Pilot will replace my Co-Pilot which has served me well. With my new tablet, I need some more room, plus the cache pull out for TSA convenience.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Beau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaL View Post
    Just an FYI, for anyone who pre-ordered the Pilot, my credit card got charged right away. I ended up cancelling my order. I would rather wait to see the bag in photos and I'd rather pay for it when it is shipped.
    Sorry for any confusion, but what you're seeing is just an authorization hold for the necessary funds, not an actual charge. It just tells us that the funds will be available when the bag is ready to ship. We won't capture those funds until the order ships from our facility.

Sometimes I think I am into TB stuff so deeply that I should just have paychecks directly deposited to TB. It would save time and hassle, especially in the case of the Pilot. Interest could be paid in Organizer Pouches.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Sorry for any confusion, but what you're seeing is just an authorization hold for the necessary funds, not an actual charge. It just tells us that the funds will be available when the bag is ready to ship. We won't capture those funds until the order ships from our facility.
    Maybe for some but my card is asking me for payment. I will definitely order again but will wait it out.
    Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25, Side Effect,small shop bag, large shop bag, travel tray

I, too, would love to see co-pilot/pilot comparison photos. I was already trolling the TB website for some.

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0