Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Biting the bullet - ordering my first synapse!

looks great! can't wait to get mine tomorrow!

Tachiyaku? I hope you don't mind me asking, but could you provide a packing list of everything in your Synapse photos?

I may someday want to get a backpack like this for my parents, and I would like to get a feel for what it can hold.

Thanks! Really neat photos!
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

sure thing MtnMan. It's really a perfect very day bag for me. I can see needing a synapse 25 when I have more books to carry, but for my day to day stuff the 25 would be overkill.

Main compartment:
    Macbook air in sleeve
    Ipad
    2 books
    Notebook
    Size 2 stuff sack with hat and gloves
    Size 3 stuff sack with swimming gear (swimsuit, goggles, change of undies, mini shampoo bottle, travel towel)

Top front pocket:
    21 oz hydroflask

Lower front pocket:
    Wallet
    Keys

Right pocket:
    Wet wipes
    Pocket tissues
    Hand sanitizer

Left pocket:
    Pens
    Mini organizer pouch on keystrap (earpphones, microfiber cloth, USB flash drive)

Bottom pocket:
    Cables and chargers for macbook air, iPad, and phone

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You also might want to check out this awesome packing video Warm Weather Update to my Synapse 19 Packing List (Video)

Yes, I did watch firewatch's variable-speed packing video. It was really neat. Cool soundtrack and editing, too!

At first, when the original Synapse came out, I did not take it seriously. My thoughts were of the Brain Bag, Smart Alec, and Red Oxx Airborne Ruck Sack, to name a few. But people have really impressed me on this forum with their packing lists, photos and videos. I can see some real possibilities for the Synapse now, especially with the whole cache-with-rails concept.

Let me ask you about that hydroflask: is in insulated, or does it sweat? Do you ever put ice in it? Is it meant for cold liquids, or can it store hot ones as well?

Thanks!

--MtnMan
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

I just bought my first Synapse 19. It was gently used. I didn't know if I would like a backpack or not, so didn't want to spend $160 plus shipping (well, I still spent $130 hee hee, but it was totally worth it). I'm still trying to figure out the best way to organize it. I have a lot of TB pouches to play with (so maybe that's what I should be doing instead of goofing on the 'net, yes??). I wasn't even going to try my beloved Klean Kanteen in the center pocket because I couldn't imagine it would fit - it sure didn't look like it would! Thanks to this thread, I discovered that it WOULD fit! Happy Camper!

There seems to be quite an attraction to dyneema fabric in this thread. What made each of you choose the dyneema exterior for your Synapse backpack, as well as dyneema for multiple accessories? Is it aesthetic, or weight, or some other consideration, or all-of-the-above?

You're going to hear from a lot of people who love it, so I have to put in my two cents about disliking it. I had a co-pilot in Nordic dyneema, but felt that it made the bag floppy. I like the sturdier fabrics better. For me, a bag like the co-pilot that has a rigid shape should have a nice sturdy fabric. That being said, I LOVE dyneema for my accessories and I love having a bright dyneema interior in a dark bag.

The one bag that I don't mind in exterior dyneema is the little swift. For me, that bag is purse-like and meant to be floppy (but from your username I'm guessing that you're not interested in that).

I also have just ordered a dyneema shop bag. Again, meant to be floppy.

Why Dyneema? Color, weight, flexibility of fabric, distinctive look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

The hydroflask is insulated, so it doesn't sweat at all. I've put ice in it, and it only started melting at the end of my day. Never used it for hot liquids, but you certainly can. The only drawback is that it's a bit heavy, but that's the tradeoff for insulation.

Also, re:dyneema, for me it was about weight and aesthetics. I have no experience with other Tom Bihn bags or materials so I can't compare, but I don't find floppiness an issue with the synapse at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachiyaku View Post
    Since I'm a poor grad student.....
    Pardon me, but I'm a bit late to this thread - you're in New Brunswick, I see. A Scarlet Knight by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Why Dyneema? Color, weight, flexibility of fabric, distinctive look.

I am going to add, ease of cleaning and ability to be dressed up and down.

I signed up for a workshop at the last minute, I was all set up with my Synapse 19 and Small Cafe Bag both Nordic Dyneema, the Field Journal Notebook and a Large Pouch for handouts.

A week before, one of the session was replaced by a reception and talk, besides hunting for a suitable outfit out of my wardrobe (I opted for the classic black pantsuit look) I realized that the Synapse wouldn't be suitable. the Field Journal Notebook was a must have for notes besides I also wanted to take the content of the SCB but the two small bags look wasn't suitable. I pondered ordering a Little Swift but while I was looking at my Large Shop Bag in UV, I remembered that I ordered a Small Shop Bag in Steel at the same time.

I took it out of its box, placed the Field journal Notebook inside, (perfect fit), then the content of my Small Cafe Bag (everything is in Pouches and on Key Straps so all I had to do was unclip and find a spot in the Small Shop Bag and reclip.

Everything found its place, the Small Shop Bag didn't look out of place and I was able to take notes in the Field Journal Notebook during the talk.

I believe the look can be pulled off with the Black Small Shop Bag and the Nordic, Iberian and UV ones, if there is something in the blue, red or purple family incorporated in the outfit.

I think the look can even be pulled off in Summer with the Solar and Wasabi Small Shop Bag.

Note that I am 5'8" and wear plus size clothes so the Small Shop Bag looks small on me, lightly packed and new (the FJN, a 3D Dyneema Cube and a couple of Dyneema Pouches) the Small Shop Bag keeps it shape beautifully.

It is a marvel of lightness and style, usefull unlike one of those tiny enveloppe bags, and not a drag on the shoulder unlike heavy leather or even microfiber one shoulder, boat shaped purses.

As much as I love my Large UV Shop Bag, I wouldn't try to pull the same look with it, because it is big and really looks floppy.

I still want a Little Swift and long for the colors of last year's Knitty's special edition.

Last chance to order a special edition Knitty Swift - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington

I had already ordered my Travel Bags set, Dyneema Brain Bag and Tristar as well as booked our European tickets when our old Subaru made strange "I am no longer reliable" noises.

My husband found a beautiful year old Subaru and traded it for the old one with a significant cash upgrade, so no Knitty Little Swift.
    Last edited by backpack; 12-24-2013 at 06:46 PM.

For me the Dyneema choice was all about the pet hair, or lack thereof. The fur of my beautiful but evil cat sticks to everything except Dyneema.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

MtnMan: I'll chime in on the Hydroflasks. I was a loyal Klean Kanteen user for years (still use my 40oz at the gym), but got tired of wet neoprene and cold drinks that warmed quickly.

I have ice water in my 24oz and 21oz Hydroflasks daiily. I don't have a sportcap for my 24oz, so my biggest issue is ice smashing against my teeth, but it's the bottle I carried all over Ireland and Norway (in my S19, BTW) for three weeks last fall. It's perfect for leak-proof water transportation and if it's filled with ice water will only sweat a tiny little bit at the neck, where the insulation must be minimized for the cap to fit properly.

I keep a sport cap on my 21oz most of the time, and usually have 6-8 ice cubes in there. The sport cap DOES leak like a sieve if the bottle is not kept upright, so I try to remember to put the regular cap on the bottle for transportation, then switch back to the sport cap when I want to start drinking.

The bottles can also take hot beverages. The funniest review I've seen is HERE, but yes. I'd recommend these bottles pretty highly (despite my less-than-ideal experience ordering directly from Hydroflask. Future orders will be placed through REI or Amazon.)
    Synapse 19 (Indigo/Solar) * Brain Bag (Indigo) * Imago (Navy/Cork/Wasabi) * Aeronaut (Navy/Wasabi) * Large Shop Bag (Nordic) * Small Shop Bag (Ultraviolet) * Side Effect (Navy/Iberian)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0