Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Biting the bullet - ordering my first synapse!

Ok, I can see how being a forum member could prove to be a problem. Especially now that I've been eyeing the Aeronaut as a travel bag since I'm often gone for the weekends to visit my girlfriend or for 3-4 day academic conferences. Damn you, grad school stipend. Although from what I've seen the synapse can handle even that pretty well.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachiyaku View Post
    Oops, that was supposed to read 24oz hydroflask, not 32: Hydro Flask | Hydro Flask - Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle - 24 oz (Medium) - Narrow Mouth

I think I'll stick with the 19, as per your and Badger's suggestions. I'll post pics of it with my grad school gear when it arrives
    I was checking the dimensions of the Hydro Flask (was pretty sure a 32oz bottle wouldn't fit), and you may have problems because of the height of the bottle with the cap. The web site FAQ lists a bottle height: 10.06 inches/25.6 cm and a height with cap of 11.5 in/29.2 cm. I doubt that any bottle that tops 11 inches will fit in the outside water bottle pocket of the Synapse -- this is true for the Synapse 25 as well as the Synapse 19, since the water bottle pocket height dimensions are the same. The problem is the tall and narrow design for the flask -- you have room to handle the volume, but you hit the height limit for the pocket.

Anybody else have suggestions for the water bottle pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Anybody else have suggestions for the water bottle pocket?
    My 20-oz insulated Klean Kanteen fits perfectly in the S19 water bottle pocket. I have not tried any larger sized bottles.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by Tachiyaku View Post
    Ok, I can see how being a forum member could prove to be a problem. Especially now that I've been eyeing the Aeronaut as a travel bag since I'm often gone for the weekends to visit my girlfriend or for 3-4 day academic conferences. Damn you, grad school stipend. Although from what I've seen the synapse can handle even that pretty well.
    I ordered a Synapse 25 and practice-packed for an upcoming week-long trip. It is definitely do-able. Only downside is that there was no extra capacity for anything I might pick up during the trip...or to slip in my winter coat.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I had same issue. Just had to take my Copilot one time and my PCSB another. It worked out great once in the car and once on the plane. My "other" carries gave me easy access to stuff I wanted to use while in transit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I also just ordered my first ever TB bag and it is a Synapse 19 in Black Dyneema/Wasabi. Really excited and ended up ordering a bunch of stuff. Maybe too much stuff (13 rMPB Cache w/rails, iPad Air Cache, packing cube, 3D cube, and several pouches)!

Now I just have to wait for the backorder/late December hopefully!

Congratulations! I think you'll LOVE your Synapse. It was my first TB purchase also, and it's been downhill from there!

The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I may just have to downsize to a 21 oz hydroflask I suppose.

Congrats jlchau! The black dyneema looks awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I gave away 24 oz Hyrdroflask bottle, so unable to test, but it might fit if you replace the regular top with a flat top. Somewhere in the forum I posted a photo of the 40 oz in the S19 pocket. Cannot link. I lost my post more than 2x

Congratulations on your new S19!

That would have been an ideal solution, but it seems that the flat top only comes in standard size, while my 24oz has a narrow mouth.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oh, yes - I totally forgot that the 24 oz comes only in the narrow . The 21 oz standard with the regular top does fit well in the pocket.

Oooh -- careful, tachiyaku. Tom Bihn is an addiction! I started small, with a wallet. The next step was a Synapse 19 (in a lovely Steel Dyneema/Wasabi). Before I knew what hit me, I had acquired a Tri Star, several organizer pouches, a Western Flyer, a travel tray, several stuff sacks, a Side Effect, a passport pouch, and multiple shopping bags (ok, some of these are for Christmas gifts -- maybe...). I've asked Santa for a Co-Pilot, and even took the liberty of ordering it on his behalf (always happy to help with the Christmas shopping!). Tom Bihn Acquisition Syndrome is alive and well at my house. :-)

BTW: I'm also fond of Hydroflask bottles. The 21oz (with either the regular or the flat cap) fits perfectly in my Synapse 19.

Synapse 19, Co-Pilot, Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, Tri-Star, Travel Tray, Passport Pouch, Small Organizer Wallet (this is the little guy that started it all...), several Shop Bags and Organizer Pouches. More to come, I'm sure...

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    I gave away 24 oz Hyrdroflask bottle, so unable to test, but it might fit if you replace the regular top with a flat top. Somewhere in the forum I posted a photo of the 40 oz in the S19 pocket. Cannot link. I lost my post more than 2x

Congratulations on your new S19!
    Here's the link to the Will the Synapse 19 hold a 40oz HydroFlask? thread with Walker's photo. The 40 oz flask fit into the pocket, but the zipper couldn't be closed. @Walker the easiest way I've found to search for recent image uploads is to go to the Attachments section of the forums and run a search by name. Then you can pull up the post where a given image appeared in.

HTH.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Oooh -- careful, tachiyaku. Tom Bihn is an addiction!
    Oh, don't I know it! I always had a bit of a bag addiction (as well as an affinity for shoes, gadgets, and neckties/bowties). On the plus side, it makes me really easy to shop for. Before finding Tom Bihn, I was a big fan of both Waterfield bags and Timbuk2. Waterfield bags are really great and absolutely gorgeous (and locally made), but lack the practicality of Tom Bihn's products (in terms of comfort and modularity). And sadly, Timbuk2's quality has really gone down over the years.
    Gumby likes this.

It's here!

My steel dyneema/solar synapse 19 arrived today It's a really stellar looking bag. Of course when I first opened the box it looked teeny, but as soon as I packed it up I realized the Tardis rumors were true.

Also, my 24 oz hydroflask *did* fit comfortably, but only if the bag was not overly stuffed. Otherwise it's a really tight fit.

Name:  bottleout.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  74.7 KB Name:  bottlein2 1.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  137.8 KB

And here's my EDC:

Name:  stuffed.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  86.0 KB

The UV size 2 stuff sack has my hat and gloves, and the solar size 3 stuff sack has all my swimming gear (swimsuit, change of underwear, goggles, speedo towel)

Name:  swimstuff2.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  102.6 KB

Name:  everything2.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  87.6 KB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0