Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rocks
  • 1 Post By dripdark

Thread: No More 1000D Synapse Bags?

No More 1000D Synapse Bags?

Hi everyone:

After doing a bit of a search around here and on the web, I'm not sure if Tom has decided to stop making the 1000D Synapse in favor of the new 420d material that is on the Synapse/Guide pack.

If anyone has any idea if/when the 1000D will be back, that would be great.

Thanks!

dd

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dripdark View Post
    Hi everyone:

After doing a bit of a search around here and on the web, I'm not sure if Tom has decided to stop making the 1000D Synapse in favor of the new 420d material that is on the Synapse/Guide pack.

If anyone has any idea if/when the 1000D will be back, that would be great.

Thanks!

dd
    Hi, I think you're talking about the 1000d Cordura fabric options for the Synapse 19, since the Synapse 25 is still available in Olive/Steel, Black/Steel, Black/Iberian, Black/Wasabi, Navy/Solar, and Navy/Iberian Cordura/Dyneema color options. I don't think Cordura is being abandoned, especially since there are some color options that simply aren't covered by the new materials. But it's true that Tom is excited about working with the design possibilities of the new 420d HT Nylon Parapack. These fabrics (and the Dyneema and Ballistic Nylon) are all custom ordered. To keep down the costs while maintaining selection and quality manufacturing they batch produce the different model bags, while trying to fit this in with the expected demand and the time table of when fabrics arrive. This is particularly tricky to balance when they are introducing new products. Since the Synapse 19 came in for a refresh of production shortly after the new fabrics arrived, you're seeing the fact that the new batch production is geared towards the new fabrics, while the previous production lot is selling out, leaving only the Olive/Steel Cordura option at present. This is also so that they can gauge the popularity and reception of the new materials and the preferred color combinations for the next batch of fabric orders. (However, when they've been introducing many new products and fabrics, as has been true for the past year, it's hard to keep up with everything you want, because you don't have unlimited amounts of money, and so some items don't get the initial demand they would otherwise deserve, I'll just say *Nordic* a few more times here.)

It's a truism in the forums that if there's a color combination you really want, grab it while it's available. It's particularly true that products disappear fast near Christmas. In a normal year, without all these late-breaking new product releases, I'd try to decide on all my end-of-year product orders by mid-October to be ahead of the crowd.

If there are particular Cordura color combinations that you are interested in, let us know. It's also always worth asking the Tom Bihn folks directly (by email or phone) about product/color availability. Sometimes there will be a lone bag in their product show room, or one that has been returned because someone was trying to decide between two sizes and ordered both bags, but returned one. Also, many forum members have been able to fill their wish lists by posting their wants in the forum. See, for example, Janine's Dear eBay forum thread. Also, with the flood of new products, some people are trying to find ways to buy new bags that they really want by selling some of their older bags, so discontinued colors may suddenly become available.

About the only reason I might worry that the Cordura options for the Synapse 19 would be permanently discontinued is that the product page Materials section now reads, "420d HT nylon Classic Parapack — or — ultralight 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop exterior" in contrast to the materials description for the Synapse 25: "1000d Cordura® nylon, 420d HT nylon Classic Parapack, or ultralight 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop exterior" and they seem to have removed the weight specifications for the Cordura Synapse 19, which was "1000d Cordura®: 1 lb 13 oz / 820 grams".

Maybe Darcy could comment here?

HTH.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi, I think you're talking about the 1000d Cordura fabric options for the Synapse 19, since the Synapse 25 is still available in Olive/Steel, Black/Steel, Black/Iberian, Black/Wasabi, Navy/Solar, and Navy/Iberian Cordura/Dyneema color options. I don't think Cordura is being abandoned, especially since there are some color options that simply aren't covered by the new materials. But it's true that Tom is excited about working with the design possibilities of the new 420d HT Nylon Parapack.

About the only reason I might worry that the Cordura options for the Synapse 19 would be permanently discontinued is that the product page Materials section now reads, "420d HT nylon Classic Parapack — or — ultralight 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop exterior" in contrast to the materials description for the Synapse 25: "1000d Cordura® nylon, 420d HT nylon Classic Parapack, or ultralight 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop exterior" and they seem to have removed the weight specifications for the Cordura Synapse 19, which was "1000d Cordura®: 1 lb 13 oz / 820 grams".

Maybe Darcy could comment here?

HTH.

moriond
    I think dripdark is correct, I have a suspicion that Cordura is on its way out, at least among Cafe Bags and Synapses. I could be wrong and I'm just guessing but...Only the S19 is available in the Cordura (olive/steel only) whereas it looks like there are no Cordura options for the S25. It's the S25's product page that lists it as only available in the 420d or dyneema. And Cordura options for the Cafe Bags are also limited.

@dripdark- if you're set on a Cordura Synapse, moriond is correct to suggest checking ebay. Synapses- particularly the S19, are frequently available. If you have a color combo in mind, you could also post your wish on the Forum. Good luck!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    I think dripdark is correct, I have a suspicion that Cordura is on its way out, at least among Cafe Bags and Synapses. I could be wrong and I'm just guessing but...Only the S19 is available in the Cordura (olive/steel only) whereas it looks like there are no Cordura options for the S25. It's the S25's product page that lists it as only available in the 420d or dyneema. And Cordura options for the Cafe Bags are also limited.

@dripdark- if you're set on a Cordura Synapse, moriond is correct to suggest checking ebay. Synapses- particularly the S19, are frequently available. If you have a color combo in mind, you could also post your wish on the Forum. Good luck!
    @Tlactme the Synapse product pages were edited before and after my posted reply. I copied the web description with details about the materials to save this before I posted, and now the references to the 1000d Cordura are gone from both Synapse product pages.. I'd still try calling Tom Bihn's 800 number and asking whether anything is available directly. The Olive/Steel Synapse in Cordura probably won't stay around long.

moriond

*hugs conifer Synapse tight* I love my Cordura Synapse even more now that I know it may have gone the way of the dinosaurs.
    moriond likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Tlactme the Synapse product pages were edited before and after my posted reply. I copied the web description with details about the materials to save this before I posted, and now the references to the 1000d Cordura are gone from both Synapse product pages.. I'd still try calling Tom Bihn's 800 number and asking whether anything is available directly. The Olive/Steel Synapse in Cordura probably won't stay around long.

moriond
    @moriond- Weird! I just loaded the S19 page and it still lists the Olive Cordura/Steel as an option in the drop-down menu and includes the "deets" about Cordura at the bottom of the S19 page, but doesn't make mention of Cordura on the S25 page.

I think the other thing that may be confusing to some is that on the S19 page it lists the options as "Navy 420d parapack/Solar" etc. whereas on the S25 page it just says "Navy/Solar" and one must check the bottom of the page to see if the colors in question are Cordura or 420d.

Fortunately, I already have 2 Cordura S19 *grins sheepishly*...and I love 'em!!

Just a followup for all those who responded...

I spoke with Tom Bihn HQ on the phone and they said that 1000D Cordura is, in fact, being replaced by the 420d Nylon. I wound up ordering the black Nylon with the Wasabi interior, as the man I spoke with told me that the 420d Nylon is just as tough, if not tougher. He also mentioned that it is better at repelling pet hair, which is all over my house, so that's a plus.

I ordered the bag today and I'll post a review on here to let you guys see what it looks like, as there are no pictures of the S19 in 420d Nylon on the site yet.

Thanks for all the responses,

DD
    Pocketz likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dripdark View Post
    Just a followup for all those who responded...

I spoke with Tom Bihn HQ on the phone and they said that 1000D Cordura is, in fact, being replaced by the 420d Nylon. I wound up ordering the black Nylon with the Wasabi interior, as the man I spoke with told me that the 420d Nylon is just as tough, if not tougher. He also mentioned that it is better at repelling pet hair, which is all over my house, so that's a plus.

I ordered the bag today and I'll post a review on here to let you guys see what it looks like, as there are no pictures of the S19 in 420d Nylon on the site yet.

Thanks for all the responses,

DD
    Here's another followup with some additional information about the Cafe Bags. Darcy can correct me if I've gotten any of this wrong. For now, the 1000d Cordura is being phased out, but will not completely go. (*Hugs her existing Cafe Bags, especially the Small Cafe Bag in Azalea, and her two Indigo/Solar Synapses*.) I think this is like the earlier situation where they moved the newer designed Ristrettos over to Ballistic Nylon/Dyneema combinations, but kept a Cordura option available. (In that case, it was originally only Olive/Cayenne before Cayenne was discontinued. There's currently still an Olive/Wasabi Cordura option in the Ristretto for 13" MacBook Pro or Air.). In particular, since there still isn't a good 420d HT Nylon Parapack color version for the many vocal enthusiasts of Plum and Aubergine in the forums, you should still be able to get Plum/Wasabi Cordura Cafe Bags for a while yet, barring the usual considerations of production batches selling out.

For those of you interested in the Cafe Bag Strap Changes? issue, the newer small and medium cafe bags are being made with the same straps as the HTC Nylon Parapack bags in the style of the softer, older straps. To prevent confusion, I'll use "old strap" to refer to the softer, more flexible straps that were traditionally used for the Cafe Bags, and "new strap" to refer to the stiffer strap that has been used in production for the last year and a half or so. "New production strap" will refer to the straps used with all batches made since the introduction of the HTC Nylon Parapack options. The "new production straps" are supposed to me softer and more pliable like the "old Cafe Bag straps". What's confusing is that all the small cafe bags that were offered in the last few months until they started the production of the HTC bags had the new, stiff strap, while the pictures on the small cafe product page (for the past few months up to today) depicted bags with the older strap. (There's a "grain" pattern in the interior part of the older strap, while the newer, stiffer straps look more uniform across the entire width of the strap as in most, but not all of the current Medium Cafe Bag strap pictures.) While I'm not as adamant on this issue as some, I do prefer the older, softer style straps like the one on my Medium Cafe bag. So all the remaining Plum/Wasabi Small Cafe Bags are switched over to the "new production straps" that are softer and more pliable. In the Medium size Cafe bags, the new batches for Plum/Wasabi and Cocoa/Wasabi have switched over to the "new production straps". You can pretty much guess that the older colors for the Cordura outside (Linen, Storm, Azalea) or the discontinued interior Cordura colors (Cayenne, Sapphire, and I think Olive) are all from the old production batches, and use the previous stiffer straps. The Plum Cordura/Wasabi and Cocoa Cordura/Wasabi Medium Cafe bags all use the "new production straps" that are more pliable. I *think* (but am uncertain here) that the Black Cordura/Wasabi Medium Cafe Bags may still be from the previous production batch.

HTH. I do miss the variety of colors. I'll be interested in hearing how the knitters react to the HTC Nylon Parapack fabrics in the Swift and Little Swift. No more Cordura color options for you!

motiond

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0