Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree747Likes

Thread: 2014 Tom Bihn Wish List

I second the Camera I/O Mini insert for backpacks.

Deliver on the load bearing padded waist belt for the Guide's Pack.

A two strap backpack that will convert into a messenger bag - like the Tri-Star and Aeronaut, but more commuter versus travel oriented.

Upgrade the Synapse 25 to include a frame sheet.

Tom Bihn Umbrella - come on, you guys are based in Seattle where it rains all the time. Plus, I know you'd build an awesome one.

Aubergine/Wasabi; Solar; Nordic .... um everything

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CTQuilter View Post
    I would love two TB products:
    1. A horizontally oriented, cross body, zip top bag about the size of an Imago (without that messenger-style flap).
    2. A *slightly* larger Side Effect - the SE used to be perfect as my EDC, but it is just a tad too small for an iPad mini, which I seem to be taking along with me *everywhere.*
    I do manage to fit my iPad Mini in a case into my 400d Black /Wasabi Side Effect along with a Kindle PaperWhite, but it's a bit of a stretch, and I wouldn't carry this in the Ballistic Nylon SE (less flexibility and give) or one of the 200d SE's (less protection and resilience from the fabric). And, before you ask, yes, I have Side Effects in all these fabric combinations. You can also carry an iPad Mini, or a full-size iPad for that matter, in a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, but you get less support from the 200d Dyneema fabric, so I'd use a cache. I'd personally live to see the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag made in 400d Dyneema (Black or Nordic), although I know that material is slated for exterior bags. You can also carry the iPad Mini inside the Field Journal Notebook. You can see my pictures in the Quick First Impressions - Tom Bihn Field Journal thread. Those pictures were taken before I had the case for the iPad Mini, but with the cover flap of my iPad Mini Case tucked under the front accessory flap and use the iPad mini propped up for viewing in landscape mode, with either a small, full-size mini Bluetooth keyboard in front of it, resting on the pages, or with pages of blank paper for the Field Journal Notebook available for note-taking in front of the iPad Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by gochicken View Post
    A TB drawstring backpack in Dyneema or parapack
    Oh, that would be nice! I second that.

Something along the lines of the Sea to Summit Ultrasil Daypack. It's very lightweight, but can take a good load. The straps are not too confortable, though.

I looked at the PCSB as an alternative to the SE, & would jump on it in a heartbeat, but not in dyneema which is, alas, the only option :-( One of the (many) reasons I love, love, love my SE is the structure it gets from the ballistic fabric.

Volunteer Moderator
    I looked at the PCSB as an alternative to the SE, & would jump on it in a heartbeat, but not in dyneema which is, alas, the only option :-( One of the (many) reasons I love, love, love my SE is the structure it gets from the ballistic fabric.
    I had originally similarly expected that the degree of structure from the Ballistic Nylon SE would make these my favorite versions of the Side Effect (Aubergine/Wasabi and Navy/Solar). However, I've been surprised at how much I like the 400d Black Dyneema/Wasabi SE, and specifically this material (in texture, more so than the 400d Dyneema Nordic or Steel options, although I love the color of Nordic). This gives more structure and support than I expected, despite having both a Synapse 19 and Synapse 25 in this material, and is now the SE I usually use for my Kindle PaperWhite. I certainly don't need more Tom Bin luggage, and the pieces I have are not likely to wear out in my lifetime, but this experience of the 400d Black Dyneema, combined with comments by Lani and other forum members who opted for lighter luggage options, might convince me to try the Western Flyer in a 400d Dyneema version (I'd be curious about the Rolling Luggage Handle pocket version, since I've always used the backpack strap version).

On the PCSB, I think you're best off thinking about this bag not as a larger SE alternative, but concentrating on its own strengths in multiple settings. This works as a good organizer bag within bags like the Swift and the now retired Imago, as well as a packing cube. I find that I use the PCSB for purposes that I would probably not use a larger SE. For example, this was a handy and light-weight bag to bring along when we were touring the Terra Cotta Warriors in a visit to Xian. The different burial pits are in different structures, so you do a fair bit of walking to the sites and around the pits. It was drizzling most of that day, so the PCSB was a handy place to store the pocket umbrellas in folded form as we walked around the exhibits without having these drip on everyone. Just an example.
    Janine and eWalker like this.

While we are happy with our dyneema OP's and sacks (so trust me, we know and love just how functional they are!), the cross hatching is not something I would like in an EDC purse-like object. The PCSB may yet make it onto my wish list (in black, not currently an option), but more for it's PC function rather than a SB one...

I would like o-rings inside my OPs, especially the nano and mini sizes.

Kidding!

While we are happy with our dyneema OP's and sacks (so trust me, we know and love just how functional they are!), the cross hatching is not something I would like in an EDC purse-like object. The PCSB may yet make it onto my wish list (in black, not currently an option), but more for it's PC function rather than a SB one...
    My Small Cafe Bag in Nordic/UV and Synapse 19 in Nordic/Steel have been my EDC for a year. Everyone is impressed by them, even my notoriously picky French Family.

I even sneaked a Small Steel Shop Bag as EDC during a posh party because I wanted to bring the Field Journal Notebook and I didn't have time to order a Little Swift.

It fit right in. I don't think a Wasabi or Solar would have blended as well but it could have if the person wearing it had an outfit with Wasabi or Solar in it.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    I would like o-rings inside my OPs, especially the nano and mini sizes.

Kidding!
    Hehe! Nice one.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by gochicken View Post

A TB drawstring backpack in Dyneema or parapack

Bring back TB bumper stickers
    +1 would get one without hesitating TB drawstring backpack in black Dyneema

I wish I could get a Steel WF with Nordic interior!

I really would love a Dyneema long trench with matching rain hat.

Last year, I asked for the trench but then I saw picture of people on the forum wearing the Travel Tray "hat", I knew anything was possible.

More Nordic, more UV, more Aubergine!

A larger Wallet the size of the Small Pouch.

A Field Pouch with pen pockets like the ones on the FJN, the Freudian Slip and inside bags, to carry fountain pens, markers, pencils, watercolor pencils... which would open clamshell like the FJN.

I'd like the RFID blocking passport pouch that can accommodate 4 passports instead of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Since it is already apparent that the Christmas 2013 shopping season in in full swing and Tom Bihn has just released new products, it is a safe bet that we now see the complete and final Bihn product lineup for 2013. That means it is now safe to start speculating and suggesting for 2014.

Here are a few suggestions from me:

1: Field Notebook Extra: borrowing from a very thoughtful suggestion on the first page of the 2013 Wish List thread, I would like to see a new "big brother" to the Field Journal Notebook (FJN). This Field Notebook Extra (FNE) should be large enough to accommodate regular-size loose-leaf binder notebook filler paper. It should also be large enough to carry at least an Apple iPad Mini if not a full-size iPad. The FNE should be able to function like an enclosed, stand-alone Freudian Slip, but in form it should be configured to be like an extra-large FJN. The FNE should be sized so that it can be carried in a Brain Bag, Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, and Smart Alec. I'm not sure on the sizes of the Synapses, so maybe those backpacks as well.

2: Smart Alec in camo. I know this is a long-shot, but I would love to see this.

3: Camera I-O Mini: a padded, sealable camera insert pouch/bag that can be carried in either the Smart Alec or the new Guide's Pack. Not sure if this could also be made to work for the Synapses.

4: Rain coat bags to fit over Tom Bihn backpacks and luggage.

5: Poron-filled grab handle for the Synapse 25: Yes, this pack is large enough that you can stuff it with enough to make it that heavy.

6: FJN in Camo: just for the heckofit.

7: Is Tom Bihn going to make a Garment Sleeve for carrying a suit in an Aeronaut, or not? I posed this question in 2010, and have been waiting ever since. If the Bihn crew decided not to pursue this product concept, it would be helpful to know.

Just a few ideas to get things started...

Appending my original wish list...

8: Dust covers for iMac, Mac Mini, and Apple Thunderbolt Display. I know that Apple accessories are a tricky item, but the Mac Mini has been around for ages, and is unlikely to change its form factor or go away any time soon. The iMac and the Thunderbolt Display as essentially the same form factor now, also unlikely to change significantly. I don't know if dyneema or some other fabic would be best to resist abient dust, lint and hair/fur in the air, but this could be a very hot accessory for Apple users to buy.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast