Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree659Likes

Thread: 2014 Tom Bihn Wish List

I think there was a request (post #175) a few pages back for an insulated cube as a lunch tote. Even though it's the end of the school year for my kids, I'd love an insulated lunch sack! I ordered a tall YSS so that I can try it out as a food stuff sack on an upcoming sack, but it would be even better if it had built-in insulation. Our current lunch totes are made of neoprene, and really after a couple of years of elementary school life, they just don't look (or smell) right, even when washed, aired, and sunned. How nice it would be to have the wipe-down convenience of Dyneema!

(there are other wipeable lunch totes, but then there was that scare a while back about lead-contaminated liners, and most of them develop rips/tears after a while. I'd happily pay more for durability and classic design. And no cutesy logos!)

- And/or an insulated tote (more of a horizontal form factor). Some of our lunch containers are long and flat (e.g. for pizza), or long and deep (salad/sandwiches), and sometimes one wants to transport them sitting flat, not vertically. Plus, little hands do better with a wide opening rather than a narrow one. Potentially, you could also turn it inside out and it could do double duty as a camera insert. To keep lenses separated, there could be dividers like the I/O, or rails on the sides (on the non-Dyneema side) that allow dividers to be attached. (Could even just be top and bottom O-rings...) ETA: Finally, it would have a drawstring or zipper, to keep heat/cold inside, and the food corralled safely away from non-food.

- Or there could be an insulated insert - like a Cache, but for consumables - sized to fit around/inside one of the following: a lunch tote liner (new creation); one of the existing all-Dyneema packing cubes (say, the WF small PC, or the PCSB); or a tall YSS. (I know there's the I/O, but it's quite a bit bigger than I had in mind. ) I like the idea of being able to use the Dyneema liner and the insert separately: it would also make them easier to clean. The other day it rained cats and dogs on me and my SCB. Afterwards, the contents were dry, but there was a wee bit of dampness between the inner and outer Dyneema. It dried out overnight. But that might've been nasty had it been, say, tomato sauce, or salad dressing. ;P

(she says, as she unpacks the weary non-TB lunch totes... )

EATA:

- Modular sets/sizing would be great - e.g. two small lunch totes that are each exactly half the size of the big tote.

- Color coding would be easy with the different Dyneema options, of course, but a slot for inserting a name would be great. (With an option to cover the name... I don't like when strangers can read my child's name from fifty paces away.)

- What about a modular pocket for a water bottle, that doubles as an insulating bottle sleeve? Then you can carry your tote and water bottle at the same time, or move your bottle+sleeve to one of the dedicated pockets in a Bihn bag.

- And/or there could be an interior pocket, much like the ones in the Shop Bags, to hold a water bottle upright if you don't want to keep it in another sleeve/bag pocket.

- O-rings (on top/on the side), so a key strap can leash the tote to a backpack. Or you can attach a handle loop to the tote, to make it easier to fish it out of a full backpack.
    Last edited by haraya; 06-16-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    scribe and jess like this.

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    I think there was a request (post #175) a few pages back for an insulated cube as a lunch tote. Even though it's the end of the school year for my kids, I'd love an insulated lunch sack! I ordered a tall YSS so that I can try it out as a food stuff sack on an upcoming sack, but it would be even better if it had built-in insulation. Our current lunch totes are made of neoprene, and really after a couple of years of elementary school life, they just don't look (or smell) right, even when washed, aired, and sunned. How nice it would be to have the wipe-down convenience of Dyneema!

(there are other wipeable lunch totes, but then there was that scare a while back about lead-contaminated liners, and most of them develop rips/tears after a while. I'd happily pay more for durability and classic design. And no cutesy logos!)

- And/or an insulated tote (more of a horizontal form factor). Some of our lunch containers are long and flat, or long and deep, and sometimes one wants to transport them sitting flat, not vertically. Plus, little hands do better with a wide opening rather than a narrow one. Potentially, you could also turn it inside out and it could do double duty as a camera insert. To keep lenses separated, there could be dividers like the I/O, or rails on the sides (on the non-Dyneema side) that allow dividers to be attached. (Could even just be top and bottom O-rings...)

- Or there could be an insulated insert, sized to fit around/inside a lunch tote liner, a PCSB or a tall YSS. (I know there's the I/O, but it's quite a bit bigger than I had in mind. ) I like the idea of being able to use the Dyneema liner and the insert separately, it would also make them easier to clean.

(she says, as she unpacks the weary non-TB lunch totes... )
    I would buy this in a heartbeat!

In a pinch, you could double up on stuff sacks, and toss in a thin ice pack. I did this on a kayak trip recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    haraya and eWalker like this.

I've thought about this... waiting on another tall YSS, since I don't want to use any of my knitting stuff sacks for food. I often throw an ice pack in the Shop Bag that I use for toting snacks to and from the playground.

But also there's the issue of condensation getting on other items in the same bag - e.g. notebooks/books, or light-colored clothing. The neoprene absorbs some/most of that incidental moisture. I also like the slight bit of protection that the insulation gives to more fragile items, like fruit or granola bars. Of course, I could (and do) put them in rigid containers to protect against contact with school books or binders. But since each kid frequently carries a stainless steel water bottle, and one or more stainless lunch container/s (or insulated jar), I hesitate to add yet another bowl to the load.

I forgot to mention that a drawstring or zipper would be great, to keep heat/cold in, and also to keep food corralled and away from non-food items.

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    In a pinch, you could double up on stuff sacks, and toss in a thin ice pack. I did this on a kayak trip recently.
    Last edited by haraya; 06-16-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Was there ever a steel cordura backpack? If not, my fingers are crossed for Synapses and/or Upcoming Daypack Thingums in steel cordura. I really like the slight blue/green tone of steel cordura <3

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Was there ever a steel cordura backpack? If not, my fingers are crossed for Synapses and/or Upcoming Daypack Thingums in steel cordura. I really like the slight blue/green tone of steel cordura <3
    Synapse 25, Steel Cordura with a choice of UV or Wasabi lining. Both on back order, unfortunately, till late August.

Okay...just throwing this out there...
    Maybe some Azalaea color (hot pink) Dyneema?
    Maybe for a Pilot so I can use it as an overnight bag when I babysit my nephew or stay w/the BF?
    Maybe some in a SCB so I can use it with my Cork Little Swift as an EDC?

Don't throw tomatoes at me, my username is PinkKnits after all.

All in favor of hot pink Dyneema raise your hand!
    Bags I Want: Dyneema A30

Current Bags: Black Dyneema/Wasabi CP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi NFTD w/2 packing cubes, Hemp Swift, Cork Swift, Cork LS, LSB, SSB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi LCB, Black Dyneema/Solar SCB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi SE, Size 1 Stuff Sack, TT, Plenty of YSS, Q-Kit, bunches of pouches

Quote Originally Posted by pinkknits View Post
    Okay...just throwing this out there...
    Maybe some Azalaea color (hot pink) Dyneema?
    Maybe for a Pilot so I can use it as an overnight bag when I babysit my nephew or stay w/the BF?
    Maybe some in a SCB so I can use it with my Cork Little Swift as an EDC?

Don't throw tomatoes at me, my username is PinkKnits after all.

All in favor of hot pink Dyneema raise your hand!
    I would like pink Dyneema!

I would love a steel parapack synapse. I love my olive parapack so much!
    eWalker likes this.

A shade of red parapack! I imagine red parapack would be really useful and aesthetic: 1) can be used as both an external and internal fabric 2) has a lovely sheen that would make for great SEs and CBs (among other things). I love my olive parapack/UV SE; the rich shine of parapack makes it good for casual and more formal occasions alike.

Synapse 25 in the STEEL Parapack!
    icebeng likes this.
    Orders shipped! Waiting for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 arrival! ETA: August 29!!

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    I love my olive parapack/UV SE; the rich shine of parapack makes it good for casual and more formal occasions alike.
    I was just thinking that petrol/airforce blue parapack would be awesome for the same reasons

I know parapack doesn't take dye well, which is why the colour range is limited, but a muted blue or deep red might be possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    a muted blue or deep red might be possible?
    THIS. I love airforce/petrol blue; the Dickies shade is especially awesome (and parapack-appropriate IMO!).

Name:  Dickies-Air-Force-Blue-Original-Work-Pant-d3ac3-M.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  9.7 KB
    Last edited by adalangdon; 06-19-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Ooh, just had a thought. (and please let me know if this already exists) What about a CQPC, but with one side clear and one side fabric? It would be like a larger version of the Double Organizer Pouch, which I love because it allows me to have both discreet and high-visibility items in one place. I was thinking the Dual Quarter Packing Cube/DQPC (TM) would be fantastic for toting toiletries and, shall we say, female necessities to places like the gym or on road trips - I don't have to worry about it falling out of my bag at inopportune times. Of course, it would be too big to be a 311 bag, but just fine for car trips or checked bags.

(As it is, I carry both a 3DCOC and a small stuff sack to my workouts, so that the unmentionables can be in the opaque bag, and the "public" things can be in the clear bag. And I used to carry one opaque pouch and one medium OP, but now with my Double OP I can consolidate into one pouch, with one key strap! \O/ - I do use a different-colored zipper pull, so I can tell at a glance or by feel which compartment I am opening.)
    Last edited by haraya; 06-19-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    discreet and high-visibility items in one place.
    After taking mental inventory of my stock of discreet items, as well as my need/desire to bring them on vacation with me, I concur heartily with this request.
    haraya and eWalker like this.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast