Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: New Bags!

Talking New Bags!

I like the looks of the new bags, especially the briefcase. I also like the idea of a rucksack-inspired bag although I am not sure I have a use for it, but ya never know!! The briefcase, as I noted is calling to me. I like the organization (at least how it looks on the site. I hope to have the opportunity to see it in person soon -- or I will just have to buy one to see!!

PS Great video!

While neither bag truly excited me (no need for briefcases or backpacks in my life), I swooned when I saw the tan clips, straps, handles, etc!!! I hope we see more of these on some of Tom's other bags!!!

I feel slightly bad for saying this, but I think I'm most excited about the nano-sized Organizer Pouch.

Name:  coyoteorganizerpouch_02b.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  23.1 KB

I am crossing my fingers that it will be offered in other fabrics. It's the perfect size for stowing my plugs, tunnels, and (other) o-rings when I travel.

I really like the styling of the Founders Briefcase, but I wish it had a stash pocket on the outside . That's something I use a lot on my current case. It's a pain to have to unzip the main compartment to stow papers, mail, etc.,when on the move. Going to have to think about it now. Otherwise, it would be a definite "yes!".
    Owner of TriStar (aubergine/steel), Founders Briefcase (navy/steel), Aeronaut (crimson/steel), Absolute Strap, Co-Pilot (steel/solar), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/sapphire), Imago (navy/cork/wasabi),Horizontal Freudian Slip, Snake Charmer (steel), Wallet (olive), Side Effect (olive), asst pouches and cubes.

A question for the good folks in Seattle: On the Founder's Briefcase, what are the dimensions of the packing wedge? The description says it can be used to segregate papers. Is it wide and long enough to hold folders or full-size envelopes for 8.5x11" paper? What about legal paper?

Thanks!

I really like the internal organization panel of the new Founder's Briefcase. Very cool. I also really like the clamshell design of it and the option of the packing wedge for clothing or papers. I echo autolycus's question about the wedge's dimensions.

Aesthetically I'm ambivalent about the Founder's Briefcase. I feel I'd need to see it in person to have a more definite opinion one way or the other. I agree with whomever it was that said the design seems boxier than usual TB design, more RedOxx-ish.

I think the thing I'm most surprised about- and that I dislike- is the built-in laptop compartment. Why do this? The depth of the built-in compartment is very slim. Why not a Cache on rails? That way people can choose the size for their laptop and for those that would rather save the space and not carry a laptop, they'd have the option to go Cache-less-- much like the Cadet in this regard--and save space for papers or clothes or what have you. One of the things I LOVE about TB design is its flexibility and the ability the user has to customize, if you will. The built-in laptop compartment seems to go against TB's usual design philosophy. Will this keep me from purchasing the Founder's Briefcase? Not sure yet. I'm not sure if my husband's work laptop will even fit in the laptop compartment. Pretty sure it's at least an inch thick, but I'll measure it to be sure. If the FB had the Cache system, it would be a sure sale.
    Last edited by Tlacltme; 11-13-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    I think the thing I'm most surprised about- and that I dislike- is the built-in laptop compartment. Why do this? The depth of the built-in compartment is very slim. Why not a Cache on rails?
    I wonder if the decision to include a built-in compartment has to do with aesthetics. That is, the Coyote Brown built-in compartment matches the rest of the bag in a way that the black Cache-on-Rails (arguably) does not. Aside from the decidedly boxy/utilitarian aesthetics of these new items, the fact that color-matched organizer pouches have been put into production for the GP and FB suggests to me that they are very much their own breed of beast and are meant to be distinctive from the rest of the TB lineup. While I have no evidence to back this up, that the brief is called the Founder's Briefcase further suggests that this is Tom's Platonic ideal, at least for now. The simplicity of the built-in compartment seems to resonate with the throw-back ethos of the GP and FB, and does not totally contradict TB design iterations from the past (case in point: the Ristretti, which come in iPad, 11", and 13" flavors). These are all just theories. I'm certainly not arguing with you, Tlacltme; I agree it sucks when you like a bag a lot but it fails to meet a specific need.

Good theories, Badger, with definite merit.

I guess then, just as there are color-matching pouches, I wish that they would color-match the Caches Or come in different laptop compartment depths, just as the Ristretti come in different built-in sizes.

In any event, I would love to get the FB for my husband. The packing wedge would be perfect for his overnight conferences! But I'm pessimistic about his work-assigned laptop fitting in the laptop compartment. We'll see...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I hear you on the built-in laptop compartment: that's something we carefully considered as we knew some folks would prefer a Cache that used the rails system. In the end, we felt that the simplicity of the built-in compartment (as Badger pointed out) was more in keeping with the elegance of the design. If it's not for you, don't fear: there's more new stuff coming out next year that will, I'm sure, use the rails system! And who knows, maybe there will be more sizes of Founder's Briefcase at some point down the road….

Quite possible the photos don't show it well enough…. we don't understand/get the "boxiness" thing. The Founder's Briefcase has gentle radius corners and a subtle but impactful tapering to the top (sort of a Gothic arch thing), both in width and in thickness. While there's hardly a straight line on The Guide's Pack, we did refrain from making it too wild -- we wanted the feel of the old styles not to get lost.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I suspect a lot of folks will like the two-tone exterior, but I think you'll still need a Henry Ford all-black Founders. Maybe black/steel for two-tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I feel slightly bad for saying this, but I think I'm most excited about the nano-sized Organizer Pouch.

Name:  coyoteorganizerpouch_02b.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  23.1 KB

I am crossing my fingers that it will be offered in other fabrics. It's the perfect size for stowing my plugs, tunnels, and (other) o-rings when I travel.
    I thought the same thing. More Nano options,please!

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I hear you on the built-in laptop compartment: that's something we carefully considered as we knew some folks would prefer a Cache that used the rails system. In the end, we felt that the simplicity of the built-in compartment (as Badger pointed out) was more in keeping with the elegance of the design. If it's not for you, don't fear: there's more new stuff coming out next year that will, I'm sure, use the rails system! And who knows, maybe there will be more sizes of Founder's Briefcase at some point down the road….

Quite possible the photos don't show it well enough…. we don't understand/get the "boxiness" thing. The Founder's Briefcase has gentle radius corners and a subtle but impactful tapering to the top (sort of a Gothic arch thing), both in width and in thickness. While there's hardly a straight line on The Guide's Pack, we did refrain from making it too wild -- we wanted the feel of the old styles not to get lost.
    Thanks for the response, Darcy. I do understand- and embrace- the concept of elegance of simplicity. Especially when the simplicity exactly fits my situation I'm actually going to pre-order the Founder's Briefcase in Navy (I've been waiting on a TB navy briefcase for a while) and give it a whirl for the hubby's laptop. It may work *fingers crossed*

As for the boxiness issue I think you might be correct that the photos just don't reveal the gracefulness of the design as much as the naked eye would/will. In any case, it wasn't meant as a slight, but more as an observation. I look forward to future photos of it in the various colors and, of course, to seeing it for myself

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    As for the boxiness issue I think you might be correct that the photos just don't reveal the gracefulness of the design as much as the naked eye would/will. In any case, it wasn't meant as a slight, but more as an observation. I look forward to future photos of it in the various colors and, of course, to seeing it for myself
    After reading Darcy's post in this thread, I took another look to see why I thought "boxy"—and I think for me the Coyote Brown piping seems to delineate a rectangle shape that one probably wouldn't see as starkly when looking at the FB head-on. In the photos of the case in use, it does appear much more rounded in shape. So I retract my earlier comment about the new bags' boxiness.

I find the design of the FB especially appealing. It is reminiscent of my first non-box briefcase. I used to use those box like briefcases that could be locked, were hard sided and had a hard handle. (this was in the 1970s-80s) I came across a Lands End briefcase made of canvas with a shoulder strap , had a zipper, and my world changed forever. The simplicity of the design, the clean lines, along with the basic utility of the FB calls out to me (and my credit card... fighting it for the moment....). I do like the idea of a dedicated laptop section only because, it means fewer pieces within the case to manage. It looks like the laptop section has functionality even without a laptop. While I really love the general ethos of flexibility and adaptability which is part of TB bags, the relative paucity of it with the FB is a nice change.
    Darcy likes this.

@rabergnc- the FB also reminded me of the old canvas, clam-shell Lands' End briefcases! Of course, a much improved version, but hearkening to that idea...As a bit of a word geek, bonus points to you for use of the word "paucity"
    Darcy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0