Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: New Bags!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    @rabergnc- the FB also reminded me of the old canvas, clam-shell Lands' End briefcases! Of course, a much improved version, but hearkening to that idea...As a bit of a word geek, bonus points to you for use of the word "paucity"
    Yes, it reminded me of this, too. and I know someone who still uses those bags.

Me too on Lands End! I texted my Dad and referenced just that when I saw the new design!

@rabergnc- the FB also reminded me of the old canvas, clam-shell Lands' End briefcases! Of course, a much improved version, but hearkening to that idea...As a bit of a word geek, bonus points to you for use of the word "paucity"
    Thanks All that time studying for the SATs long, long ago finally has paid off!
    earth5 likes this.

MrDaisy wore out his LandsEnd brief - but it is still on the shelf next to the cadet et al - mainly because I bought it for him and he's a nostalgic sort..

I think perhaps there's a Founder's Brief in the future.
    List under construction ....

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    A question for the good folks in Seattle: On the Founder's Briefcase, what are the dimensions of the packing wedge? The description says it can be used to segregate papers. Is it wide and long enough to hold folders or full-size envelopes for 8.5x11" paper? What about legal paper?
    Dimensions: 400 x 265 x 35 mm
    Weights: 135 grams / 4.8 oz
    Volume: 5 liters

(Also now up on the Founder's Briefcase page.)

And the Packing Wedge does comfortably fit folders, full-size envelopes, and even legal paper.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Dimensions: 400 x 265 x 35 mm
    Weights: 135 grams / 4.8 oz
    Volume: 5 liters

(Also now up on the Founder's Briefcase page.)

And the Packing Wedge does comfortably fit folders, full-size envelopes, and even legal paper.
    Cool. Thanks for the update!

And I did take your advice and requested some color swatches for the new Parapack. I'm looking forward to seeing what the fabric looks and feels like. They're already on their way. Always great service from y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    Cool. Thanks for the update!

And I did take your advice and requested some color swatches for the new Parapack. I'm looking forward to seeing what the fabric looks and feels like. They're already on their way. Always great service from y'all!
    Let me know what you think when they arrive. I'm still having trouble getting photographs that more accurately reflect the richness of the Parapack -- I'm going to try to get some natural light photos of my Small Cafe Bag and Guide's Pack this weekend….
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Oh my god I hadn't even THOUGHT of that. Now I'll need to get one for specifically that use.

The new video introducing the Founder's line is beautiful.

The landscape, Tom's soothing voice and the bag designs, all have a nostalgic tone.

I was literally transported into the gorgeous vistas.

Darcy's wonderful still pictures are doing a fabulous job at highlighting the brand new genius features of the Guide Pack.

Who would have thought of adapting a piece of hardware first found in the Field Journal Notebook and tweak it to fit a backpack?

What about bringing back a classic fabric which was used broadly in the 60's and 70's when manufacture meant quality, not a race to cheapest stuff?

Tom.

It is no surprise that I think the name of the new Pouches color, Coyote, is genius!

However, I have to do a roadrunner on that and do hope that some bags will be made with black trims.

Thank you for sharing Tom' memory lane and history of Tom Bihn Inc at the very beginning.

The video really make me want to go outdoors and enjoy autumn's beauty!

Founder's Suitcase Material Strong?

I think this Founders briefcase is great! I was looking for a new soft case that would accommodate my macbook and other electronics for my commute. I wish they had more picture of the other color options before I ordered for the December Delivery.

Hate to say this, but I thought the Empire Builder, Zephyr etc. resembles the "old world", big and ballistic, and no longer that relevant. I was going to push the trigger for a Timbuk2 Woolrich bag. Which seem to fit the fashion here in the SF Tech World a bit better.

I haven't visited Tom Bihn for a while.. and Guess what!!!!

Great Job Tom!

So.. Black or Olive?

One thing, the "new" Material that were popular many years ago. Is it still durable compared to the recent innovations like Dynema etc. ? ? or maybe I got it all wrong?

A different topic: Why don't you guys make specialized bags for the Brompton Foldable bike! That would be a perfect match!!

Keep up the good work innovating for the future!!
    Proud owner of: Brain Bag (Saphire), Synapse (Nordic Dyneema) and Aeronaut (Steel Dyneema)

"What Would You Do If Money Were No Object?" Alan Watts

Can you tell me what color scheme the Founders Briefcase is in the video? And, I am really thinking of pulling the trigger on this one, but any chance of seeing pics of the different color schemes on this briefcase? Thanks guys.

dave

Me too! That was my very first briefcase way back in 1986 when I started my first job out of college. I carried it for a long time.
    --------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Let me know what you think when they arrive. I'm still having trouble getting photographs that more accurately reflect the richness of the Parapack -- I'm going to try to get some natural light photos of my Small Cafe Bag and Guide's Pack this weekend….
    The parapack swatches arrived yesterday. I didn't get home till well after dark though so I only opened the envelope and peeked in. I brought them into the office this morning, hoping to get a good look in a variety of lighting. The sun is not supposed to cooperate today, so it'll just be flourescent lights and/or bland overcast. From what I see of the colors without the benefit of direct sun, I really like all four of them.

I really like the navy. It is darker in person than it looks in the pictures of the Guide's Pack. I might again turn out to be a navy/blue guy above all!

The black is, well, black. I imagine the contrast between it and the coyote brown ballistic is a really, really good look. Because the Parapack is so light and has a nice sheen to it, bags made with it should look very different from the standard issue black ballistic, for those who are considering the Founder's Briefcase for a slightly conservative office setting but who want something a little more distinct.

The olive is a little lighter than I'm used to seeing in bags, largely because my image of green bags is so ingrained with the slightly darker classic military OD (Olive Drab) rather than an olive like one would see in men's dress clothing. Ultimately that's how I would describe the olive to someone: It's very close in shade, or possibly even a hair lighter still, than a traditional man's olive suit or dress slacks. Guide Pack in olive probably looks excellent. Founder's Briefcase in olive will be more casual than black or navy, for sure.

The steel is interesting. It is lighter and possibly a touch greener than my steel Dyneema/nylon mini organizer pouch. I think it'd also look really, really good on the Guide's Pack--I think I saw that trailhiker or Loaded Pocketz got steel? If so their pictures should give a definitive answer. With the Founder's Briefcase, I think steel will also be a little more casual looking than black or navy.

I like the material itself. It's very lightweight compared to the ballistic and cordura. To my hand, it feels like the weight and thickness of the Parapack is actually between the 200d and 400d/420d Dyneema/nylon materials. The 200d is definitely lighter feeling and the 400d/420d D/n and 420d Parapack are so close that the rip-stop pattern is influencing my sense of weight and thickness. The Parapack is much smoother than the 1000d and 1050d fabrics, although for different reasons. Smoother than the ballistic because of the significantly finer weave. Smoother than the cordura because of the lack of texture to the fiber.

The punchline of my thoughts on the Parapack in general, subject to change once I've seen a full bag made with it: I think people who don't like the white grid Dyneema pattern are going to absolutely love the Parapack as an alternative. It's nearly as lightweight and has a really nice look to it. It'll be interesting to see what variety of colors are offered in the future. I could honestly see steel, olive, and navy all being rotated in and out over time to make some space for something like plum, particularly for bags like the Cafe Bags and the Synapse. I imagine black is always going to be around because it has to be the best-selling and most universal of all bag colors.

I stand by my wish list item of a camera bag made in the same style as the two new bags and sized for a MILC system with a mid-sized body--as opposed to the ultra-compact bodies like the new Panasonic GM1, 3 or 4 lenses, depending on prime vs. zoom, and all the extras like spare battery, SD cards, filters, etc. And ideally it'd have some extra space for a light raincoat and/or water bottle and a way to carry a tripod--the already-existing quivers with annex clips to the back or bottom of the bag would probably work perfectly, as would the lashing straps for the Guide's Pack.

Incidentally, that raises an interesting question for those who might do photo hikes: Can the tripod quivers be attached with annex clips to the accessory strap holders on the back, bottom, or sides of the Guide's Pack?

Quote Originally Posted by d.weglarz View Post
    Can you tell me what color scheme the Founders Briefcase is in the video? And, I am really thinking of pulling the trigger on this one, but any chance of seeing pics of the different color schemes on this briefcase? Thanks guys.
    Shown in the video is the Black/Steel color scheme. Our factory is making the Founder's Briefcase now, so it shouldn't be too long before we get to see the other colors.

Ok, Im a bit confused. In the vid and on the site, the FB is shown in something like a black canvas or paratarp material, with coyote brown straps and handles. Isn't steel more of a grey? Anyone clear this up for me? Thanks again

dave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0