Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Woah cool, the Guide's Pack!

In case you were wondering whether the Guide's Pack can be setup effectively for laptop or tablet carry...

Gear Diary: Setting Up the Tom Bihn Guide's Pack for Laptop Carry | Loaded Pocketz
    SusanM and eWalker like this.

yay! I can now consider doing the Camino de Santiago with a Tom Bihn bag!
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

Banned
    i am nobodies fan boy..i don't feel the need to list all the tom bihn products i own just because i own them...the guides pack is overpriced for what it offers..period...

as i have said before why is it that the 240 dollar pack for me comes with no lash straps but the 160 dollar skookum dog duffel comes with 2 which the dog can't use without me anyway...

the basic pack is 240..if you add 2 lead pockets and 6 lash straps that brings the cost to 420 dollars...

for that kind of money there are least 6 different bags from mystery ranch with an internal frame and the yoke and waist belt will be fitted to my size...

of just get a gr2 from goruck...

did i mention the guides pack does not come with a true waist belt but you can order one separately...

what is that old saying...there is one born every minute....

I don't see the need for the rant. Just don't buy the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am nobodies fan-girl ether but you are comparing appels with pies here. The backpacks you mention are all great but not cheap. With the Guid's pack I get to chouse, if the 31 L are enough or if I want to ad to that. I can ad the straps and pockets at anytime later IF NEEDED. You only can compare this back with modular packs. Here you get a fairly small pack for the minimalists out there which can be upgraded for longer tours or someone like me (not earning this particular bag!) who needs always everything with her.

I don't understand your need to post your dislike. I have red a very interesting review on the SA from you with good pictures. If you do not want this backpack don't bother with it. The SA has also additional pockets that you bought separately. You could compare thous packs: Is the internal frame, the material, the outlay of the Guid's Pack worth the more $ than the SA? This question would be interesting for me to be answered. Not if there are other packs from other companies at other prices. That I knew before.

Just my two cents,
    Ilkyway

edit: tried to get rid of some of the mistakes in spelling and gramma. English is not my native language, sorry
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 03-10-2014 at 12:11 AM.
    tpnl and eWalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by twogunmojo View Post
    i am nobodies fan boy..i don't feel the need to list all the tom bihn products i own just because i own them...the guides pack is overpriced for what it offers..period...

as i have said before why is it that the 240 dollar pack for me comes with no lash straps but the 160 dollar skookum dog duffel comes with 2 which the dog can't use without me anyway...

the basic pack is 240..if you add 2 lead pockets and 6 lash straps that brings the cost to 420 dollars...

for that kind of money there are least 6 different bags from mystery ranch with an internal frame and the yoke and waist belt will be fitted to my size...

of just get a gr2 from goruck...

did i mention the guides pack does not come with a true waist belt but you can order one separately...

what is that old saying...there is one born every minute....
    You know, I really don't understand the basis of your anger rant.
    And if u r going to throw out comparisons please try and be factual on a level playing field.
    I can't talk about the mystery ranch options u mentioned, since I like talking about what I actually know.
    I own a Goruck gr2, (and yes I did get it before the Guides pack came out.)
    The Goruck (5.3 pounds) is about twice the weight of the Guides pack (2.8 pounds)
    That's pack to pack, the pockets on the Guides pack would add a bit more, but no where near 5.3 pounds.
    (And after using my Guides Pack I would recommend one lead's pocket not two, and either a left or right, less weight again and less money.)
    The Guide's pack has an internal frame, the Goruck does not.
    The Goruck doesn't have a hip belt nor the option to add one, it's not in their philosophy.
    6 lash straps? Do u think the Goruck comes with lash straps?
    Just what are u comparing?

Don't get me wrong the Goruck is a fine pack, but it is a totally different pack.
    The Goruck is not a Guide's Pack.

The Guide's Pack is a Chameleon of function.
    Depending upon your needs,
    You could start out at basic bag capacity of about 1900 cubic inches,
    And pump it up another approx 500 cubic inches by adding up to 3 pockets.
    You could have a pocket on either side, use a third as a packing cube inside, having a full pack,
    then if u need to peel off a coat while hiking u could move the "packing cube side pocket"
    to the center middle outside and stuff the jacket inside.
    And one may change the direction of access to those side pockets.
    In addition one could use an annex clip to add a lighting quiver to the back center diamond thus adding yet another 275 -350 cubic inches.
    You could also adjust the contour of the internal frame to fit to your back.

The Guide's Pack has a central chamber,
    The Goruck is of a clamshell access,
    Again a different philosophy.

Personally the central chamber ( along with packing cubes) works better for me for mountaineering hiking than the clamshell. The Guide's Pack is my daily use pack. (I hike an average of 5 - 10 miles five times a week) I could have all the pockets attached, a quiver, stuff lashed to the top and bottom and still access the main chamber. That would be a little hard with a clamshell design.

Will I keep the Goruck?
    Yes, only because as an artist the clamshell actually works for me when transporting painting panels at times to work on in a wilderness environment.

Again different philosophies for different occasions.

By the way,
    The urban dictionary's definition of "fanboy" states,

"A passionate fan of various elements of geek culture (e.g. sci-fi, comics, Star Wars, video games, anime, hobbits, Magic: the Gathering, etc.), but who lets his passion override social graces."

One thing I admire about this forum is the pleasant social grace by which we interact.
    Let's keep it that way.

Last edited by Trailhiker; 03-10-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Hear you loud and clear Trailhiker !
    Just too many bad vibes on some internet sites.
    That's why I enjoy the good-natured gentle banter on the TB forum ...

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
    You know, I really don't understand the basis of your anger rant.
    And if u r going to throw out comparisons please try and be factual on a level playing field.
    I can't talk about the mystery ranch options u mentioned, since I like talking about what I actually know.
    I own a Goruck gr2, (and yes I did get it before the Guides pack came out.)
    The Goruck (5.3 pounds) is about twice the weight of the Guides pack (2.8 pounds)
    That's pack to pack, the pockets on the Guides pack would add a bit more, but no where near 5.3 pounds.
    (And after using my Guides Pack I would recommend one lead's pocket not two, and either a left or right, less weight again and less money.)
    The Guide's pack has an internal frame, the Goruck does not.
    The Goruck doesn't have a hip belt nor the option to add one, it's not in their philosophy.
    6 lash straps? Do u think the Goruck comes with lash straps?
    Just what are u comparing?

Don't get me wrong the Goruck is a fine pack, but it is a totally different pack.
    The Goruck is not a Guide's Pack.

The Guide's Pack is a Chameleon of function.
    Depending upon your needs,
    You could start out at basic bag capacity of about 1900 cubic inches,
    And pump it up another approx 500 cubic inches by adding up to 3 pockets.
    You could have a pocket on either side, use a third as a packing cube inside, having a full pack,
    then if u need to peel off a coat while hiking u could move the "packing cube side pocket"
    to the center middle outside and stuff the jacket inside.
    And one may change the direction of access to those side pockets.
    In addition one could use an annex clip to add a lighting quiver to the back center diamond thus adding yet another 275 -350 cubic inches.
    You could also adjust the contour of the internal frame to fit to your back.

The Guide's Pack has a central chamber,
    The Goruck is of a clamshell access,
    Again a different philosophy.

Personally the central chamber ( along with packing cubes) works better for me for mountaineering hiking than the clamshell. The Guide's Pack is my daily use pack. (I hike an average of 5 - 10 miles five times a week) I could have all the pockets attached, a quiver, stuff lashed to the top and bottom and still access the main chamber. That would be a little hard with a clamshell design.

Will I keep the Goruck?
    Yes, only because as an artist the clamshell actually works for me when transporting painting panels at times to work on in a wilderness environment.

Again different philosophies for different occasions.

By the way,
    The urban dictionary's definition of "fanboy" states,

"A passionate fan of various elements of geek culture (e.g. sci-fi, comics, Star Wars, video games, anime, hobbits, Magic: the Gathering, etc.), but who lets his passion override social graces."

One thing I admire about this forum is the pleasant social grace by which we interact.
    Let's keep it that way.

Excellent post. And you make some very good points about the differences between GoRuck and Tom Bihn. Personally, I reviewed the GR1 and the Guide's Pack and and I'd chose the Guide's Pack for trail use every day of the week and twice on Sunday. The internal frame makes a huge difference and the weight difference is significant also when every ounce counts.

TwoGunMojo and I are active on EDC Forums and he pretty much posted the same rant on the Guide's Pack over there. Not sure why he decided to do it again and on Tom Bihn's own forum no less.
    Rocks and eWalker like this.

Haute Americana Interviews Tom - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington

This TB blog post shows a picture of Tom looking very much like the pioneers climbers from the Alps.

The beautiful black and white frame adds to the vintage feel and proves that one can hike in style.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by peregrina View Post
    yay! I can now consider doing the Camino de Santiago with a Tom Bihn bag!
    I am considering the same! When are you planning to go?

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Orders placed! Countdown to Mid August for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 : 30 days to go!!
    Refreshing the UPS status on my Black Balistic Pilot!! 4 days left!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0