Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Woah cool, the Guide's Pack!

Does this help? I threw my head back and only hit it when my head was all the way back. It is comfortable to me, and I would move the waist straps to the higher loops, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by tCook View Post
    Does this help?
    Yes! Thank you.
    I want this pack.
    tCook likes this.

This pack looks seriously well made; has a lot of thoughtful features including that the side pockets are so modular. I am really puzzled as to why such a serious hiking pack would NOT have a padded waist belt? Everything I know about good hiking packs --if we are carrying a reasonable amount of weight--calls for some padded waist belt to distribute the weight. I have to admit: that some times, I just don't get why some simple design features are not included...like a strap keeper (to avoid dangling straps); or padded waistbelts....Darcy or Tom? I would love an answer...I am quite sure there is a design reason...

.......in another thread somewhere here Darcy mentioned that a padded waistbelt is in the works
    (due in the beginning of the year) that would hook on to those two webbed loops on each side of the guides pack.
    tCook likes this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    As promised… here's a video that demonstrates how to adjust the internal frame in The Guide's Pack:

U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Oh man, that video is super cool. Very easy to adjust the stay in this bag. Thanks for that video.

dave
    Darcy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    This pack looks seriously well made; has a lot of thoughtful features including that the side pockets are so modular. I am really puzzled as to why such a serious hiking pack would NOT have a padded waist belt? Everything I know about good hiking packs --if we are carrying a reasonable amount of weight--calls for some padded waist belt to distribute the weight.
    We're fairly experienced hikers and backpackers around here and we chose not to include a padded waist belt because we don't think it's always necessary, especially for day hikes. Tom uses the Guide's Pack all the time -- he's not... particularly well padded himself, but he found that in general the 1" wide webbing waist belt was just fine. That said, we knew some folks would want a padded waist belt, and we do think it'll be helpful for times when the pack is loaded super heavy, like if you're carrying a tent and sleeping bag, so that's why we'll be making one available soon.

So: sounds like it comes down to a matter of opinion, like lots of things.

The Guide's Pack and Founder's Briefcase both come with enough Coyote and Red cord pulls for each zipper pull. Here's how we like to add them to the pulls:

I so want the Guide's Pack!
    I can't figure out which color to get. The green sings to me, for some reason, though I'd have preferred if it was more olive and less green, and all my other bags and clothes are blues and purples these days. I feel like the green might harmonize better with the 'coyote' straps. On the other hand I also like the blue.
    Can not decide....
    Is anyone else who is interested in this pack having trouble choosing a color?

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I can't figure out which color to get. The green sings to me, for some reason, though I'd have preferred if it was more olive and less green, and all my other bags and clothes are blues and purples these days. I feel like the green might harmonize better with the 'coyote' straps. On the other hand I also like the blue.
    Can not decide....
    IMHO, the green really is darker and more olive than most pictures that I've seen make it appear. Here is one I took of the Leads Pocket for EDC Forums. I'll be taking more and a First Look Review is coming shortly.

Name:  20131123_190247_zpsd8485eaa.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  265.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The Guide's Pack and Founder's Briefcase both come with enough Coyote and Red cord pulls for each zipper pull. Here's how we like to add them to the pulls:
    Great video. I was contemplating doing one so you saved me the trouble. I know you mention on the zipper pull page that cutting off the metal tabs are an option but I really think what you've shown in the video adequately silences the clattering of the pulls and retains the warranty on the pack (per your policy).

I opted to replace the cord on the larger zippers with coyote 550 paracord, but for the smaller zippers on the interior of the pack and side pockets, the cord Tom provides is fine and I actually like alternating the coyote and red pulls to color code where I store things for easy retrieval like in the pic of the Lead Pocket above. Anyway, nicely done!
    Darcy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Can not decide....

I'm going to write about this shortly when I post my comments & more photos after four - five mile hikes with the Guides Pack. In the meantime you could rest assured that I suffered when arriving to my choice of olive. I should actually rephrase that, when I chose my "electric olive" Guides Pack. Black or grey is my usual default color choice when ordering bags as when traveling or going about ones errands I feel it is of a more "stealth" color choice. That philosophy carried over when I ordered my black Guides Pack in the morning and then went on a hike on a hot Southern California day. After about two miles up I had second thoughts and immediately called Beau and asked him the status of my delivery, still being in the que to go out he very graciously pulled it and put it in the "hold bin" until I called back.

Arriving to my choice of "Electric Olive" the next day I took into account several factors,
    Because of my high dose of OCDness the green family seemed more compatible with the ruff and tumble of life on the trail. I had these visions of carrying a damp rag to constantly keep wiping down the dirt and scuff marks on the smooth black fabric. The California sun also entered into the equation about wanting a more reflective color and if when I find myself in a tropical environment a more lighter color "may" be a lesser attraction for the mosquitos. The steel would have been my other choice "post black", having ordered a 3d cube in steel parapak I could say that the green reads lighter. Of all my Tom Bihn bags I do own a key strap in the olive cordura and it does read differently. I should also say that the olive does not read "army green". Someone here mentioned that it reads like a men's suit - I would tend to agree. It (the electric olive) would also be a good color for outdoor furniture cushions.. :-)

Hope this helps.

Below is a shot against my dark blue fleece jacket as a comparison.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  155.9 KB
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 11-26-2013 at 11:59 AM.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Bearing in mind that I can't walk, I've absolutely no need whatsoever for a guide pack, but that doesn't stop me wanting one really, really badly! Mind you, I think that part of the appeal is that it reminds me of my classic 1984 Karrimor sack that saw me through adventures all over Europe for twenty years. I still have the original receipt as it has a lifetime guarantee and I'm still hoping to finally wear it out one day! Back in those days these sacks were hand made in Yorkshire, England in a factory where quality of design, build and finish we're truly valued... anyone know where that sort approach is still practiced ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nice video, Darcy, those pulls look slightly longer than than ones in the shop now - are they going to made available separately (and in other colours) at some point? After I do the same looping with my cord pulls, there definitely isn't enough to tie a knot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocketz View Post
    Great video. I was contemplating doing one so you saved me the trouble. I know you mention on the zipper pull page that cutting off the metal tabs are an option but I really think what you've shown in the video adequately silences the clattering of the pulls and retains the warranty on the pack (per your policy).
    I think this is a great point (and I can see how the wording re: the policy on the Cord Zipper Pulls page was confusing -- we'll be updating that!)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0