Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Woah cool, the Guide's Pack!

Quote Originally Posted by Pocketz View Post
    I received the Guide Pack (in Olive) yesterday to do field testing for a review on Loadedpocketz. Certainly the definitive word should come from Tom Bihn, but I believe tCook is correct - the second set of loops is to accommodate a higher position for the waist strap that already comes with the pack. At 21.5" in length, the Guide Pack is nearly as long as a Aeronaut. The strap would probably fall too low for users under 6' tall or with a shorter torso whereas for me, being 6'4", the lower position is perfect.
    Any chance as part of your review you could include some photos comparing the overall size of this vs a Smart Alec and whichever Synapse(s) you have at this point? I'm pretty sure the S19 and Smart Alec cover all my backpack needs better than the Guide's Pack would, but I do love the look of it and some of its features. So if I can justify a larger pack, I might...

very nice i like it
    gone save me some money for this pack.

WF

autolycus, here's a picture of the Synapse 19, Smart Alec (my Glowire went a bit awry), and Guide's Pack. Hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by tCook View Post
    autolycus, here's a picture of the Synapse 19, Smart Alec (my Glowire went a bit awry), and Guide's Pack. Hope it helps!
    Thanks. That's perfect! I think the Smart Alec will serve my purposes well enough for now. I'll just have a bad case of bag envy!

Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    Thanks. That's perfect! I think the Smart Alec will serve my purposes well enough for now. I'll just have a bad case of bag envy!
    Nice job tCook!

autolycus,

So far, the biggest differentiators for me between the Smart Alec and the Guide Pack are:

1) The Guide Pack's internal frame makes a big difference when carrying heavy load-outs
    2) Tom really upped the ante on organization. The Lead Pocket is the real deal (even by EDC Forum standards).
    3) The attachment points on the Guide Pack are less proprietary and therefore more useful

I'm not saying the Smart Alec isn't a great pack because it is. But, I don't see my Smart Alec seeing the trail much now that the Guide Pack is in the fold.
    Last edited by Pocketz; 11-17-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Nice job tCook!

autolycus,

So far, the biggest differentiators for me between the Smart Alec and the Guide Pack are:

1) The Guide Pack's internal frame makes a big difference when carrying heavy load-outs
    2) Tom really upped the ante on organization. The Lead Pocket is the real deal (even by EDC Forum standards).
    3) The attachment points on the Guide Pack are less proprietary and therefore more useful

I'm not saying the Smart Alec isn't a great pack because it is. But, I don't see my Smart Alec seeing the trail much now that the Guide Pack is in the fold.
    Thanks for your thoughts. If my primary use of the pack was hiking, I'd have probably already ordered the new one. But I mostly use my Smart Alec for carrying stuff, including laptop, to and from work. My guess is the SA is better suited to that, and still more than adequate for carrying an extra layer, water, FAK and camera into the woods for the dozen or so times a year I got for half-day and short "day" hikes.

Definitely like the look of the new Guide's Pack. Just looking at it reminds me of camping and fishing, heh.
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. If my primary use of the pack was hiking, I'd have probably already ordered the new one. But I mostly use my Smart Alec for carrying stuff, including laptop, to and from work. My guess is the SA is better suited to that, and still more than adequate for carrying an extra layer, water, FAK and camera into the woods for the dozen or so times a year I got for half-day and short "day" hikes.
    Same. But I'm considering a synapse 25 to pair with my 19

tCook, so I can better gauge the size of the pack, how tall are you? Can anyone speak to how the Guide Pack would fit a 5'2" person -- or has it already been mentioned?

I'm 5'3" so that should be a decent comparison for you!

I received the Guide Pack (in Olive) yesterday to do field testing for a review on Loadedpocketz. Certainly the definitive word should come from Tom Bihn, but I believe tCook is correct - the second set of loops is to accommodate a higher position for the waist strap that already comes with the pack. At 21.5" in length, the Guide Pack is nearly as long as a Aeronaut. The strap would probably fall too low for users under 6' tall or with a shorter torso whereas for me, being 6'4", the lower position is perfect.
    Ah OK. Darn lol. I was thinking it may be for a padded waist strap that would be coming out later since being able to anchor it to 2 points on each side would make it strong and stable. Who knows maybe that will happen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kamperdog View Post
    I was thinking it may be for a padded waist strap that would be coming out later since being able to anchor it to 2 points on each side would make it strong and stable. Who knows maybe that will happen.
    Pocketz and tCook are right, but so are you: I think you'll see a padded waist belt for The Guide's Pack by sometime early next year.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Alright! It really did look like it was meant for something else besides the existing waiststrap. Man, this pack has really filled the "perfect bag" spot for me. As Darcy knows I went round and round as well as up and down about the Smart Alec before and when I got it... but I found myself wanting to "modify " it for hiking duties and PAINFULLY decided to sell it off to see if the new gear I was starting to hear about would be what I was really wanting in a bag. And it seems the Guides pack is it. Looks like it could fit the bill as a midsize EDC bag when slimmed down. then go to a true hiking/backpacking pack with the attachments. Cannot wait to get one...

Can I confirm this over at EDCF since we've been speculating about it over there too? Just want to ask first....
    tCook likes this.

tCook:
    Is the Guide Pack comfortable on you?
    From the photo it looks like it may be covering your neck or hitting the back of your head.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tCook View Post

I'll take a side shot tomorrow and put some things in the top pouch to try and show where it sits.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0