Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Woah cool, the Guide's Pack!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this design and purpose and EVERYTHING. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I saw in the video, that little notebook ... are you guys designing a clam-shell (i.e. fully zippered ala GoRuck) style bag too?! If that's the case...

Name:  shutupandtakemymoney.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  113.7 KB

Gorgeous looking bag ... feel bad I picked up a 38L Osprey for hiking just 3 months ago...
    Expat living in Japan
    iPad Ristretto Aeronaut Synapse Lg Shop Bag lots of little accessory pouches - straps - and other goodies!
    Flickr Blog
    Now ... what else do I "need" ...

Question to Darcy and the forum,

In Tom's layout he's got a lead pocket and either a left or right pocket ( not sure from which direction a left or right is called and after my last error I'm treading a little carefully )

So,yes the lead pocket has more organization capabilities built into it, but aside from the $20 dollar difference (and 6.4 oz verses 11.8 oz.) does anyone see an advantage to having lets say a right pocket and a lead over one lead pocket on each side?

I'm just trying to determine (before my order goes out) future options to my packing ease.
    I could see that either the left or right zips opens to a certain point. But one could just zipper open to that point.
    I would assume that in not using the mesh compartment to its max one could fit in a one liter bottle or some such large one item volume.

Also on the subject of water, (and this could have been said already but I'm in a slow rush to get out this morning) is there a cache hook up inside? On the product page it says "If you'd like to carry a laptop in The Guide's Pack, we'd recommend first putting it in a Cache or Vertical Brain Cell, as there's no built-in compartment for a laptop in the pack." No built in compartment, but the clippy thingys for the cache rails?

On my Brain bag I've been using a vertical cache "hooked" to hold my 3 liter low profile hydration bladder and it works like a charm.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 11-13-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
    Also on the subject of water, (and this could have been said already but I'm in a slow rush to get out this morning) is there a cache hook up inside? On the product page it says "If you'd like to carry a laptop in The Guide's Pack, we'd recommend first putting it in a Cache or Vertical Brain Cell, as there's no built-in compartment for a laptop in the pack." No built in compartment, but the clippy thingys for the cache rails?
    I'm sure Darcy, Beau, or similarly-qualified person will give a definitive answer, but in the meantime, my assumption is that there is no webbing for annex clips or for the cache with rails system like in the newer versions of S19, S25 and SA. I'm basing that on a theory and photographic evidence: my assumption that it would interfere with the internal frame system and the 10th, 11th, and 12th pictures in this blog post about the bag's design, showing the bag turned inside-out. Note in the photos that the only attachment points on the inside back of the bag are two o-rings.

If you think about it, the exclusion makes sense for this bag. The curved shape of the stay and frame sheet are not ideal for placing a flat and highly rigid item like a laptop against the pack-wearer's back.

This guide pack is beautiful.......I'm jealous now. My head and wallet hurts......

Autolycus, thanks for your reply. Beau just confirmed that there are no webbing loops for the Annex clips.
    My goal here is to hold my low profile bladder upright with a packed bag. (Sitting within a vertical cache.)
    So, I'll only have to experiment upon receiving the bag whether using the o rings on either side to hold it secure.
    The contour of the pack shouldn't pose a problem since the bladder will accommodate to the curve, unlike a rigid laptop.

Regarding the pockets, after talking to Beau I've decided to go with lead pockets on either side rather than the left/right pockets to maximize my future options. ( the increased weight of the leads pocket is not an issue with me)
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post

I reckon those dudes at edcforums are going to be all over this pack.
    LOL That'd be me. I'm sure I'm one of the people who has driven Darcy crazy over there. Poor thing probably wants to change her name by now.... ;-)

Yes I'm wiggin' out over the guides pack. This looks absolutely perfect for my needs. I had a gen2 Smart Alec that sat mostly unused until recently when I VERY reluctantly sold it to an EDCF member. It was a great pack but I found that I was trying to "modify" it for outdoor use. The guides pack seems to answer all those issues....

Now for the questions I hope get positive answers. One of the things I wanted to do with a mid size pack is to carry a tent and/or sleeping bag on it for one or two night camping/backpacking excursions. HOWEVER ..

I see the Guides pack has places to lash gear on the top and bottom. Are these attachment points strong enough to securely hold a 5 1/2lb tent or sleeping bag of roughly the same weight? Or even both? With no problems? If so Ill sell a kidney to get this pack. This will be perfect to fill the gap between a small "edc" level bag and my 4000 CI North Face hip load frame pack.

P.S. Where was he hiking at in the video? Looked awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by kamperdog; 11-13-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Man, that guide pack is pretty. I was hoping that Tom would eventually tackle the retro-style pack space and do it right. There's a bunch of rucksacks and kletter-style stuff out there now that looks neat, but seems to be lacking in functionality or quality. This looks positively brilliant.

Now... if only had an excuse to buy one. It seems a bit large and specific for general daytripping. Perhaps I should consider a career change, and become a sherpa.
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Beau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Do either of these new bags have the compartmental capacity for (1: the Camera Insert/Outsert, or (2: the Field Notebook, or (3: a Brain Cell or Cache for a 13 or 15-inch MacBook Pro, with annex clips attached?
    Just tried these out, here's what I found for the Guide's Pack...

1) Camera I-O is a no-go
    2) The Field Journal Notebook fits rather well in the lid compartment
    3) Up to a 4Z Vertical Brain Cell/Cache fits can fit in the main compartment

I haven't had a chance to get my hands on the Founder's Briefcase yet, but I'm certain the Camera I-O won't fit. A Field Journal Notebook can probably find a place in there, and I think that a 4Z Horizontal Cache could fit provided there wasn't much else in the bag. I'll try to confirm later.

Wow I really like how they are using the 420D for the synapse. I am looking to get a backpack and am torn between the cordura brain bag and the 420 d synapse. I wish they made the brain bag in 420 so that it will be pet hair resistant.

Does anyone know if the 420 is as strong as the 1050D or the 1000 cordura?

Wonderful-looking pack!

But tell me: what does one have to do to be able to go hiking with Tom? Now that would be even more awesome than even the pack!
    snowbot likes this.

OK I understand now about the colors - having just read the article on the fabric and how hard it is to dye. I'm already torn between the black, steel and olive as it is... I just imagined there might've been a "earthy" brown color as well. Trust me that won't deter me in the slightest!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    eWalker likes this.

OK now I think I see something .... on one of the pics on the product page - the one with the back facing you with the top lid flopped back showing the pockets - slightly above where the waist strap attaches - there is a second set of tab loops. What are they for? I see the possibility of a larger padded hip belt using both sets of tab loops in my imagination!

I wonder if those are an option to move the waist straps higher for shorter torso folks? I have a Guide's Pack now (OMG!) and I did notice the waist straps felt lower than I expected. I'm 5'3" for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by kamperdog View Post
    OK now I think I see something .... on one of the pics on the product page - the one with the back facing you with the top lid flopped back showing the pockets - slightly above where the waist strap attaches - there is a second set of tab loops. What are they for? I see the possibility of a larger padded hip belt using both sets of tab loops in my imagination!
    I received the Guide Pack (in Olive) yesterday to do field testing for a review on Loadedpocketz. Certainly the definitive word should come from Tom Bihn, but I believe tCook is correct - the second set of loops is to accommodate a higher position for the waist strap that already comes with the pack. At 21.5" in length, the Guide Pack is nearly as long as a Aeronaut. The strap would probably fall too low for users under 6' tall or with a shorter torso whereas for me, being 6'4", the lower position is perfect.
    Last edited by Pocketz; 11-16-2013 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamperdog View Post
    OK I understand now about the colors - having just read the article on the fabric and how hard it is to dye. I'm already torn between the black, steel and olive as it is... I just imagined there might've been a "earthy" brown color as well. Trust me that won't deter me in the slightest!
    I'll tell you that both the Olive and Coyote is slightly darker than what it looks like in the pictures on the product page. And the contrast between the smooth 420d HT material, which has a slight sheen, and the highly textured 1050D ballistic is truly stunning in person.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0