Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Pre-order: Cache for the iPad Air

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Pre-order: Cache for the iPad Air

The Cache, Size iPad Air, in Horizontal and Vertical orientations is now available for pre-order.

The Cache is designed to protect your iPad Air against scrapes and scratches. Sized specifically to fit the iPad Air with or without a Smart Cover. The Cache protects your iPad Air with little bulk added and is ideal for those who don’t want their sleeve to make their loads heavier or to take up a lot of space. It cradles the iPad Air in .25″ / 6 mm thick foam padding laminated with an exterior of heavy-duty polyester knit and an interior of brushed tricot. With no noisy Velcro® or zipper, the Cache closes by simply tucking a generous flap into the top opening.

$30. Available for pre-order; ships by mid-November.

Name:  cachemini.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  18.4 KB
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The Cache, Size iPad Air, in Horizontal and Vertical orientations is now available for pre-order.

The Cache is designed to protect your iPad Air against scrapes and scratches. Sized specifically to fit the iPad Air with or without a Smart Cover. The Cache protects your iPad Air with little bulk added and is ideal for those who don’t want their sleeve to make their loads heavier or to take up a lot of space. It cradles the iPad Air in .25″ / 6 mm thick foam padding laminated with an exterior of heavy-duty polyester knit and an interior of brushed tricot. With no noisy Velcro® or zipper, the Cache closes by simply tucking a generous flap into the top opening.

$30. Available for pre-order; ships by mid-November.

Name:  cachemini.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  18.4 KB
    So, should we expect to see options for this in the Cache with Rails (for use with bags like the Synapse 19, Synapse 25, etc. in the next few days?

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    So, should we expect to see options for this in the Cache with Rails (for use with bags like the Synapse 19, Synapse 25, etc. in the next few days?
    We expect to announce very soon that all Caches (including the Size iPad Air Cache) will be/are now made with the "rails" of 1" wide, lightweight nylon webbing that make them compatible with the rail loops. We think the lightweight webbing will be unobtrusive to those who don't perhaps plan to utilize the checkpoint friendly rails system and, for the people who do want to or might want to utilize the rails system, the addition of the webbing on all Caches allows for that.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Darcy, that's a great idea. I use my MacBook Air Cache with Rails much more in my Empire Builder than I do in my Synapse 25, but I love having the rails there when I do put the laptop in my backpack. And I've never once found them irritating or in the way on the Cache when it's not clipped in.
    Darcy likes this.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I use my MacBook Cache with Rails in my Imago and Swifts as well as S25. I also haven't found the webbing annoying. I love that they will be standard if I buy another and I love that more bags will have the ability to accommodate the rails.
    Darcy likes this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We expect to announce very soon that all Caches (including the Size iPad Air Cache) will be/are now made with the "rails" of 1" wide, lightweight nylon webbing that make them compatible with the rail loops. We think the lightweight webbing will be unobtrusive to those who don't perhaps plan to utilize the checkpoint friendly rails system and, for the people who do want to or might want to utilize the rails system, the addition of the webbing on all Caches allows for that.
    So, I was expecting that this would be one of the design mods for the new Cadets, and I see this is the case. One question: there doesn't seem to be a way to specify the size of the bag in the current drop-down menu options, although the prompt still reads "Select a size and a color". Am I right in thinking these colors (Black/Steel, Black/Wasabi, and Steel/Iberian) and the current product description refers to what was the 13/15 Cadet?

By the way, I'm still happy to have earlier model caches (in both platinum and black) for my laptops and iPads. The newer model caches, such as came with my Synapse 25, are fine, but I like the slightly denser outside weave of the foam in earlier model caches.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    So, I was expecting that this would be one of the design mods for the new Cadets, and I see this is the case. One question: there doesn't seem to be a way to specify the size of the bag in the current drop-down menu options, although the prompt still reads "Select a size and a color". Am I right in thinking these colors (Black/Steel, Black/Wasabi, and Steel/Iberian) and the current product description refers to what was the 13/15 Cadet?
    You're exactly right: the colors and the description refers to what was the 15/13 Cadet.

Most people seemed to prefer the capacity that the 15/13 size of Cadet offered, so we decided to retire the 11/iPad size and focus on making the 15/13 (now simply "the Cadet").

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    I use my MacBook Cache with Rails in my Imago and Swifts as well as S25. I also haven't found the webbing annoying. I love that they will be standard if I buy another and I love that more bags will have the ability to accommodate the rails.
    Quote Originally Posted by impluvium View Post
    Darcy, that's a great idea. I use my MacBook Air Cache with Rails much more in my Empire Builder than I do in my Synapse 25, but I love having the rails there when I do put the laptop in my backpack. And I've never once found them irritating or in the way on the Cache when it's not clipped in.

Glad to hear this -- this is our experience as well (we've also heard this from folks via phone and email).

Will the iPad Air Caches be shipped this (11/10) week? Mine is waiting... :-)

I'm a fan of the zipper on the padded medium pouch. I use it for my older model Kindle. I'm most likely going to take the plunge and get my first iPad for Christmas and I'm already planning my next purchase here.

How secure is the closure on this cache? I realize that tucking a flap in is less secure than zipping something up but we're talking Tom Bihn here.

Many thanks!

I find the flap very secure, especially for everyday use, but for added security when going through a checkpoint, I figured out a way to interlace the lightweight black Velcro straps so that someone else can't quickly open it. It is easy to store the strap because the ends of them stick to the inside fabric of the Cache and then the Cache works normally. The Cache is another one of those "never ceases to amaze me" TB products. I am still in awe of the rail system, as is everyone in my family. We have or will order them for all of our notebooks and iPads.

Update on ship date?

if i have an ipad air with a smart case on it, which cache would be best? the ipad air cache or regular ipad cache?

Quote Originally Posted by tangfj View Post
    if i have an ipad air with a smart case on it, which cache would be best? the ipad air cache or regular ipad cache?
    I have the same question!

I have a Smart Cover and a non-Apple back cover on my iPad Air (so that's like a Smart Case, right?) and it fits fine in the iPad Air Cache.
    K9TB likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0