Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Aeronaut: To strap or not to strap?

Hello!

First time poster and recent convert to Bihnism here. After being VERY impressed by the selection, quality, word of mouth and amazing customer support from Tom & company, I'm just about ready to make my first, of perhaps several, purchases (a lovely Aeronaut to replace my bulky, falling-apart-at-the-seams, cheap travel bag). I actually have a number of questions regarding different products but, for the time being, I'll just stick to asking for the forum's opinion on my most immediate query:

Regarding the absolute strap, is it necessary to get the full Aeronaut experience? Do owners of the bag use a shoulder strap regularly? The only reason I'm asking this is that, the hidden 'backpack' straps seem to handle the situations when I would normally use a shoulder strap (on heavy loads). I'm sure the absolute strap is great but, if it's really a feature that is rarely used, I could save my $20 for future purchases (will be in the market for a laptop bag in a couple of months).

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Last edited by Rice Cooka; 08-14-2006 at 03:05 PM.

I didn't use the Absolute Strap as much as I thought I would. But it's a wonderful strap -- I wish I could put it on my ID!

Joy
    I have an Absolute strap, and I really like it for the occasional times that I use it--sometimes with my Aeronaut, sometimes with my Brain Cell, and sometimes with other non-Bihn bags. I don't think it's necessary if you plan to use the backpack straps primarily, though.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I agree with everyone else -- skip the Absolute Strap. You can always order one later if you need to.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Cool. Thanks for the help everyone.

Hmmm. Very strange for me to find myself disagreeing with Darcy, but.....I disagree with Darcy. I love the Absolute Strap on my Aeronaut.

And hey, if you don't need the Absolute Strap for your Aeronaut, I'm willing to bet that you'll want it for another bag. Pre-Aeronaut, I had a good bag that I hadn't been using much. I put an Absolute Strap on it, and lo and behold, I started using it and enjoying it for each and every trip.
    It's worth considering that your entire purpose in life could be to serve as a warning to others.

Oh well, the aeronaut -sans strap- is set to arrive on wednesday. Coincidentally I have a weekend trip set for thursday so we'll see how it goes. I can see myself ordering some packing cubes and other goodies in the future. I'll just chuck the strap in there if I need it.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    dsg29 -

That's a good point. It's never a bad idea to have an Absolute Strap around.

I've always used one of our messenger bags with the fixed strap -- the ID, Cafe Bags, and now, the Imago -- so I didn't have a chance to really use the Absolute Strap until I started testing the new smaller Empire Builder prototype. It is definitely the best shoulder strap I've ever used. One thing I really appreciate about it is that it's not thick and bulky. It's as nice looking as it is comfortable.

Rice Cooka - Let me know if you do decide to order the Absolute Strap. We will give you complimentary UPS Ground shipping.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

It depends on what type of travelling you do, but personnaly, there are times when I need to look a little more professional - then I'm better off with the shoulder strap instead of a backpack...

Volunteer Moderator

try the Absolute Shoulder Strap

Rice Cooka,

Let us know how the Aeronaut worked out for you. I've used it with both the Absolute Strap and the backpack straps, and I prefer the backpack straps because the load sits more evenly on my back. This is important if you are walking some distance with your pack - even through an airport terminal.

The Absolute Strap is great -- as others have said, you'll appreciate having it for use with other bags.

Darcy,

I've asked before, and I'll ask again. Do you think there would be wide interest in a modified ID messenger bag where rather than having a fixed strap, you have D-rings. You can still offer the same strap, but with hooks to snap into the D-ring.

The D-rings are on the Empire Builder, and you can use the Absolute Shoulder Strap with it.

On the ID messenger bag, I would place the D-rings at the same spot the ID has its current built in strap connector.

Maybe I should just get an Empire Builder. Then I'll really have to change my login here to bagaholic!

Maverick

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by maverick
    Then I'll really have to change my login here to bagaholic!

Maverick
    Oooo - Don't do that! It would be too confusing as I'm sure that login would apply to most people on this forum!

Ok, here's some quick impressions of the Aeronaut (sans strap): LOVE the bag. It worked great for my weekend trips and I'm looking forward to a posssible trip to Ecuador with it. Loved the backpack straps and using the handle was perfectly comfortable...... HOWEVER, having said that, I broke down and ordered a strap today. It wasn't often but, I can definitely see a couple of situations where I would just like to sling the thing over 1 shoulder.

I can understand the first posts on the thread because the bag is perfectly fine without the strap.... it just seems like a nice addition and, well, since I already spent over $100 on the bag I might as well trick it out, right?

On another note, you know how they say that men whose wives are pregnant notice a lot more pregnant women on the street? The same thing happened to me: I never knew I had so many bags and carrying cases with D-rings that a nice strap would work well on

I work at Tom Bihn

Yay for shoulder straps

I carried the Aeronaut with the Terra Grip, actually, rather than the Absolute. not as comfortable, but it's the one I already owned. I can't imagine using the Aeronaut without it, it was a really nice quick easy way to pick the bag up and sling it around the airport.

I think I can sleep at night now, knowing that you got one

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0