Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By snowbot
  • 2 Post By moriond

Thread: no cardinal bags left...

no cardinal bags left...

Hey guys. This is my first post, and i gotta say, I love bags, and just recently came across this little gem known as TomBihn. So, I have been looking at pics on Flickr and google, and just love the Cardinal. Im thinking the cadet, but wondering what about the red color. I know the crew stopped producing the cardinal, but if lets say I wanted a cadet in red, should I buy from a retailer that maybe has some left? or am I not going to find one anywhere......?

The cardinal is a beautiful color. I like the size of the cadet, but right now the site only has it in black I believe. Any suggestions? Or do I bite the bullet and just order another black bag? decisions, decisions....

dave

Hey Dave,
    welcome to the forum. I hate to disappoint you, but Cardinal is being phased out. I'm not sure if it will be replaced with a different red Ballistic color or something else. You can only buy TB bags directly from TB, so you won't find another retailer; however, you might be able to find something in Cardinal on ebay, though as you know that could be pot luck.

Darcy has been alluding that some new designs and possibly colors are on the horizon, so if you'd prefer a non-black brief, keep checking back over the next 4-6 weeks. Good luck!

I see. That's a bummer. The cardinal is a gorgeous color. I will be checking for those other options hopefully not too far away.
    I am really bit by the bug now. I can't stop looking at pics of TB bags. Thanks
    dave

I think the Western Flyer is still available in cardinal if you are open to other bag styles . . .?

Cardinal is a gorgeous color. I'm sad to see it go. I'd get a WF in it myself were I not holding out for a Dyneema WF with back pocket and an interior color other than Steel.
    Hawaii likes this.

Hmmmm. Now Im trying to decide If i should wait a few weeks to see what might happen, or just buy now in case its a lot longer before the new colors come out....Decisions, decisions. I am kind of in between with the WF. It seems nice but I don't really need the Airport feature, which is the main reason for the bag I think. Do you guys think the WF is a good edc briefcase type? I like the size of the cadet but not crazy on the style I guess. I guess my ideal bag would be like a WF in a cadet sized package......I know, too picky. I just love these bags. Its so far between the cadet, WF i guess, or Synapse. It will mainly be my laptop bag, but I don't really want to carry a Tri Star just for my laptop briefcase. Im looking at the empire builder too, so many options.

dave

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by d.weglarz View Post
    Hmmmm. Now Im trying to decide If i should wait a few weeks to see what might happen, or just buy now in case its a lot longer before the new colors come out....Decisions, decisions. I am kind of in between with the WF. It seems nice but I don't really need the Airport feature, which is the main reason for the bag I think. Do you guys think the WF is a good edc briefcase type? I like the size of the cadet but not crazy on the style I guess. I guess my ideal bag would be like a WF in a cadet sized package......I know, too picky. I just love these bags. Its so far between the cadet, WF i guess, or Synapse. It will mainly be my laptop bag, but I don't really want to carry a Tri Star just for my laptop briefcase. Im looking at the empire builder too, so many options.

dave
    My experience is that when someone posts about an item like this, and others post to suggest availability of a few remaining items, the item in question quickly disappears as forum readers who may have been on the fence spring for it. If you seriously like this color and think this might be the bag for you, put in an order. If there is some other item that you might want, like any of the 3D Dyneema Organizer cubes that are all back ordered until mid-November, put it in withe order and say you want these shipped together. That will give you a slight breather while you decide and can still modify your order. You can also call in using the 800 number, talk to one of the Tom Bihn staff, and get more detailed information that would help you in making a decision (and check how many bags are left).

I'm not suggesting that you do this if you really don't think you might get a Western Flyer. But if I really liked that color and was thinking this might be a bag I would use, that's what I would do. By the way, I find it difficult to believe that on a long term basis we won't have some kind of red ballistic nylon option. (I look at my crimson Aeronaut, Western Flyer, older Smart Alec, Lux (Swift predecessor) bag, etc.). But I'd guess the earliest this would happen as a new color offering would be early next year on a time frame linke the end of January or February. Just my thoughts, YMMV.
    snowbot and Hollie like this.

Ok, got it. Thanks. I think i will do just that as soon as I come to a decision. Thanks again

dave

Ok, got it. Thanks. I think i will do just that as soon as I come to a decision. Thanks again

dave
    There is also a 30 day (I think... it might be longer) return policy. Buy the WF in Cardinal, see if you like it/test pack it/carry it around the house, return if you don't or if something "better" comes along.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    There is also a 30 day (I think... it might be longer) return policy. Buy the WF in Cardinal, see if you like it/test pack it/carry it around the house, return if you don't or if something "better" comes along.
    60 days if new/unused (you pay the shipping). TOM BIHN: FAQs
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Yes, very interesting, I suppose I could try that option too. Seems nobody around me has TB bags, so I can't really check them out in person so this might be the best route. Thanks guys.

dave

Yes, very interesting, I suppose I could try that option too. Seems nobody around me has TB bags, so I can't really check them out in person so this might be the best route. Thanks guys.
    I was in the same boat. Don't know anyone personally who has TB bags, or is frankly that nerdy about luggage. In the end though, I figured all of the reviews couldn't be that wrong, so on that I took the leap. Worst case, I'm out $20-30 shipping it both ways. (My wife might argue that the current scenario is "worst case" in that I'm semi-obsessively collecting TB pieces and spending far more than that $20-30 flier!)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0