Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Small Cafe Bag Colors?

Small Cafe Bag Colors?

I noticed there are very few color combinations of the Small Cafe Bag now, with only cocoa on backorder. Is the SCB being phased out, or any of the colors of the SCB?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    It's not being phased out, but I can't say much more than that.... yet.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Hmm. Are there new colors on the forefront? The SCB is on my wish list! Oh wait, I'm gonna guess you can't tell me, right? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    Oh wait, I'm gonna guess you can't tell me, right? ;-)
    Exactly! It's gonna be a long-ish wait, too. But we think everyone will think it's worth it...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Nice! More to look forward to! Thanks!

Then I will just settle in and wait to order the SCB until I see what direction you're taking it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Exactly! It's gonna be a long-ish wait, too. But we think everyone will think it's worth it...
    Darcy, you are such a tease! Since I just got a Nordic Dyneema SCB that I love, I guess that will keep me happy while we wait.

~Nancy B
    Darcy and snowbot like this.

Ken
    Hi Darcy,

While I appreciate being kept in the loop early in the product cycle, might I suggest that products slated for replacement be pulled (or stock exhausted) after newer models are released? New designs are always welcomed, but sometimes a particular design fits a customer's particular need, and it is not possible to know if the new product will also fit that need. Its nice to have choice, and a last chance to buy a product whose replacement may not function in exactly the same manner. For example, I recently picked up a SCB because its size and shape fit my needs with little room to spare. Perhaps what replaces it might also address my specific needs, but if it does not, then I am left without a workable TB solution.

Thanks,

--Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    While I appreciate being kept in the loop early in the product cycle, might I suggest that products slated for replacement be pulled (or stock exhausted) after newer models are released?
    Hey Ken!

That might be possible (and has happened) with some new design releases, but because of various things like production capacity, how the design process works, and our spontaneous nature as people and as a company, it's tough to guarantee. At the risk of revealing too much: at least initially, there will be a couple of options for those who prefer the Small Cafe Bag to be exactly as it is now.

Ken
    Hey Ken!

That might be possible (and has happened) with some new design releases, but because of various things like production capacity, how the design process works, and our spontaneous nature as people and as a company, it's tough to guarantee. At the risk of revealing too much: at least initially, there will be a couple of options for those who prefer the Small Cafe Bag to be exactly as it is now.
    Hi Darcy,

Thank you for the reply. Long time, no see, literally! I understand that there are no guarantees, but appreciate your being open to the idea. I was thinking that this was more of an inventory and marketing issue rather than a production issue, as I envisioned announcing the retirement of old stock in conjunction with the availability of new models. While you are currently announcing the retirement of older designs, which I appreciate, I was thinking that a bit of overlap was all that was missing. And, I appreciate the additional hint about the upcoming design changes.

Thanks,

--Ken

Well the new colors are out ... and I'm disappointed. Steel interior on most. Wasabi the only non-dyneema bright interior color available. (I like a bright interior, and I don't like the white hatching on the dyneema.)

The color combos of yore seemed much more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    The color combos of yore seemed much more fun!
    A valid point. And I think more colors are likely as they transition. There's three sub-product lines in the Small Cafe Bag series. I'm guessing the new material will likely be the one to get new colors.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mab52 View Post
    A valid point. And I think more colors are likely as they transition. There's three sub-product lines in the Small Cafe Bag series. I'm guessing the new material will likely be the one to get new colors.
    Yes, I think we will be seeing more colors coming in the new materials, but it's fair to say that it will take some time to develop them. One of the strong points of the Cordura offerings in the Cafe bags has always been the wide range of wonderful colors. While I personally thought the move to the ballistic nylon materials made sense for horizontal messenger style bags like the recently retired Imago, both because of the better resistance of that material to sag, if carrying smaller heavy items, and due to the (previous) availability of cork and hemp as accents, I always considered one of the strong points of the Cafe bag line was the diverse lineup of bright and interesting Cordura color combinations. So I do miss the wide selection in the Small Cafe bag colors (even though they've kept my favorite combination of Plum/Wasabi), and I'm glad of my previous purchases.

I have to say that I really like to see what Tom is doing with bag designs with the new materials, even though I'm not likely to get the Guide's Pack for myself (though the accessory pouches look great). But it is hard if you're looking for new color options in Cafe Bags.

Darcy, would you mind posting more pictures of the Cafe Bags in the new colors?

It's not being phased out, but I can't say much more than that.... yet.
    So is the change to parapack fabric what you were referring to, or is there something else still to come?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0