Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Update on Cork fabric

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Update on Cork fabric

As some of you may know, we discovered that the some of the cork fabric we were about to use had some minor but unacceptable flaws. Fortunately we caught (most of) these problems before they left the factory. However, we have not yet resolved these quality issues with the manufacturer of the cork fabric. We hope that situation will change, but until it does, we will no longer be offering any bags in cork.

That means, as of today, the Swift in Cork, Little Swift in Cork, Clear Organizer Wallet in Cork, Kindle and Nook Pouches in Cork, Ego/Super Ego Stripes in Cork, and any other bags in Cork are no longer available for order and may never be made again. The one exception to this is the existing stock of the Imago in Forest/Cork/Steel -- they were made from an older batch of fabric that had no known flaws.

It’s with great sadness that we’ve come to this decision: we loved the Cork as much as you guys did. While these flaws were relatively minor, they made the fabric unacceptable to us and we figured you’d also prefer we not let any substandard bags get by. Maybe someday we’ll be able to offer cork again, but until then….
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

This decision just goes to show the dedication that the TB team has to providing quality products made of quality materials!!

I'm so, so sad. I've been wishing for the Swift in Cork for so long, and finally gave it as my Christmas hint to my mom LAST WEEK. So much for my first Bihn bag

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I'm so very sad that this has had to happen. I am thankful for the TB Cork bags and OP that I own. I hope that a resolution is found for this issue and Cork becomes available in the future.

There was talk of Hemp phasing out. With Cork now having to go, does that mean that maybe Hemp will be offered for longer?
    I really, really like TB Bags!

I am so disappointed. I was a day late in ordering a cork Swift before they were pulled and placed on back order. I have been waiting patiently for this fall when they would have been available again. And, now they may never be available again...what to do, what to do?

I know... I'm sitting here right next to my Little Swift in Cork and it all makes me very sad. Let's hope we find a solution someday.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Does this mean that back orders for the cork items will likely go unfulfilled?

Quote Originally Posted by enjih View Post
    Does this mean that back orders for the cork items will likely go unfulfilled?
    Sadly, yes -- we're contacting everyone with backorders today.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    That's such sad news! The cork was such a beautiful, unique bag material. A cork Little Swift was on my wish list. The only thing I have in cork is an Organizer Wallet - I will treasure it!
    Aeronaut 45; Synapse 19; Co-Pilot; PCBP & other packing cubes; Swift; 2 x Little Swifts; Side Effect; 5 Shop Bags; Small Cafe Bag; 6 Travel Trays; 4 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes; Cache ; Guardian Lights; 3 x 3D Clear Organizer Cubes; 3 x 3D All-Fabric Organizer Cubes; 4 Yarn Stuff Sacks; 8 Clear Organizer Wallets; many, many pouches; Cafe Messenger Stabilizer.

Volunteer Moderator
    So sad to hear this. The cork was a favorite.

Cork is a natural fabric and last year Portugal weather might have been a factor.

Historical Weather For 2012 in Lisbon, Portugal - WeatherSpark
    Last edited by backpack; 08-13-2013 at 09:57 PM.

I received my phone call yesterday. No cork swift. I understand and am so glad that Tom Bihn takes quality so seriously. Still, today I shall sulk, just a bit. I AM hoping that with all the retiring of colors and styles this year that the future is holding new designs... new colors?!

This is so sad. Cork is such a lovely fabric: the natural patterns are amazing. So glad that I have my olive and cork Imago, and cork mini pouches. Here's hoping that the manufacturer will resolve these issues so some time in the future cork can return.
    Owner of Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, Horizontal Freudian Slip, black Brain Cell, Iberian Packing Cube Backpack, Ultraviolet Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and various organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

I hope the issues are resolved soon, too -- I love Cork!
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec.

Is the company working toward resolving the problems -- should we hold out any hope?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0