Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: The Kit is being retired

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

The Kit is being retired

Hey everyone,

Heads-up: the Kit is being retired to make way for new designs debuting later on down the road. If you've been considering a Kit, now might be the right time to go for it.

Colors available as of the time of this post:
    Aubergine
    Steel
    Kiwi
    Navy
    Forest

Name:  kitforums.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  32.3 KB
    The Kit in Aubergine
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

The Kit was always a neat concept, but a little small for use as a toiletry kit. Would love to see something along the same lines, but a bit larger.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    The Kit was always a neat concept, but a little small for use as a toiletry kit. Would love to see something along the same lines, but a bit larger.
    LOL! a little too BIG to be my toiletry kit.

Whew, I'm glad I got my black, steel,aubergine and kiwi Kits. I need one more kiwi though. Thanks for the heads up!
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Moose...What do use them for? I have a kit that I purchased almost a year ago and it still has the tag on it. I bought it for its "cuteness" and I just haven't found a purpose yet... I really want to show it more love and would love some suggestions. :-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

When I first ordered the Kit, I wasn't sure what I would do with it. At first I thought I'd use to to hold my herbal tinctures (the way some folks take vitamins, sometimes I take tinctures like that too), but I ended up using it as a place to store my most important but infrequently used make-up. I don't wear full make-up regularly, but when I do, I have a specific regimen (primer, foundation, blush, paintpot, fixer, lipstick, lip liner, lip gloss, and make-up brushes). All the stuff for that regimen is in my Kiwi Kit. If I need to travel locally with my makeup, the whole Kit comes along. I'm glad I have my Kiwi Kit before it goes bye-bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcache View Post
    Moose...What do use them for? I have a kit that I purchased almost a year ago and it still has the tag on it. I bought it for its "cuteness" and I just haven't found a purpose yet... I really want to show it more love and would love some suggestions. :-)
    Hi Grandcache, well, if I wore makeup one might call it a cosmetic bag, sort of. Mine carries a lint roller(I live with a cat and a dog), toothbrush, toothpaste, bandaids, small fire starting kit, pocket knife, moleskin, lotion, tweezers, nail clippers, hair brush, small bar of soap, small bottle of shampoo, basically all the bits and bobs that are handy to have every day but would get lost forever if not corralled. I have enough stuff in there to get me through an overnight or two in case I get caught away from home unexpectedly.

My kiwi Kit goes in my kiwi Swift, my aubergine one goes in my aubergine Tri Star, my black one goes in my black Western Flyer, my steel one is currently living in the bottom pocket of my steel dyneema S25. I've also used them for a small stitching or crochet project. I have a couple of spindles that fit in them perfectly. They have also carried my coffee kit, they are great for keeping snacks from getting crushed and spilling all over everything.

Bottom line is their uses are limited only by ones imagination. They are sturdy and I suspect will out live me. I ordered another kiwi Kit last night too. I love that color.

Hope this helps you out a bit.
    Take care,
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 07-25-2013 at 02:41 AM.

Thanks for the inspiration. I think I will cut the tag off, start carrying it in my bag(s), and see what happens. The only risk is that I may love it so much that I regret I didn't purchase more before they were gone. I guess if that happens I will trust that TB comes up with something even more spectacular...:-)
    backpack and Moose like this.
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post

I had a different take on the TB Kit. I had an Eagle Creek toilet "fold out thingie" that, after taking a serious look at, decided I packed w-a-y too many things. I recently--and apparently luckily--bought a kit and found that I could put everything I could possible need in it in much less space. Among the various items I could cram into the kit: lint brush, shaving brush, razor, toothbrush & toothpaste, floss, wipes, and a few other small items.

Thanks Tom Bihn for helping me to simplify my packing requirements.

I have two. Wifey uses one for travel cosmetics. The other is on the bench waiting to get in the game.
    --------------------------------

For me, the kit is too small for toiletries. I use an electric shaver, add deodorant and a hairbrush, and the thing can't close. Great idea, probably good for art supplies, but a lousy toiletry bag.

They make great evening clutches, especially with the Handle Loop - Add a grab handle or wrist loop to an Organizer Pouch or Cube - TOM BIHN

They are great for makeup, as well as accessories like fancy belts (I have very few pieces that I found in the course of many years of shopping expeditions, which I don't want to see damaged) and hair accessories.

I also have a couple in the Swift which hold my purple yarn, I use them for small needlework accessories.

I don't put things that could make a mess in them, but I can see using them for dry snacks such as trail mix packets, cookies (so they don't get crushed), or to hold a set of reusable eating utensils.

They could also be used as baby wipes holders, those are going to be a staple on my next trip see hotel rooms cleanliness.

Jay
    That's a shame, I use my Kit for my shaving supplies. I look forward to it's replacement though.

Quote Originally Posted by leftistelf View Post
    For me, the kit is too small for toiletries. I use an electric shaver, add deodorant and a hairbrush, and the thing can't close. Great idea, probably good for art supplies, but a lousy toiletry bag.

I agree, when traveling the Kit is just a tad small, or prehaps it is the shape, to carry everything not in my 311 bag. I use a Organizer Cube for that.
    Moose

Backpack...Just curious, what do you clip the Handle Loop to on the Kit? One of the reasons I haven't used it before this is that there is no clip or O Ring (that I've been able to find anyway...LOL). :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0