Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Spydermann
  • 6 Post By Spydermann
  • 2 Post By Ginkgo

Thread: Large Café Bag: some thoughts after a few months on the job.

Large Café Bag: some thoughts after a few months on the job.

Hello to you all,

I have been looking for a substitute to my Halliburton aluminum case and I decided to downsize and switch over to a soft bag. After a lot of research, I purchased one of the Large Café Bags with the Absolute Strap.

Initially, I used the internal pockets for pens, Sharpie markers, a ruler, business cards, etc. however, I quickly found that whenever I am stuffing file folders and other paperwork into the bag, these things would become snagged on the pens and sometimes wrinkling and/or crumpling my paperwork.

Solution? I now use one of the Dyneema/nylon Organizer Pouches - Organizer pouches made out of ultralight Dyneema/nylon ripstop - TOM BIHN in size large as a divider and a barrier between all of my paperwork and my writing implements. So now, it is a simple matter to open the bag, grab the mouth of the bag, including the organizer pouch, lift everything up and then stuff all of my paperwork, books, etc. behind the organizer pouch and all is good. For a bit of added stiffness, I drop a couple of empty fiberboard file folders into the pouch. A piece of stiff plastic would do the same thing.

Also, if you are on the fence between the Large or Medium, and you carry a lot of paperwork, save yourself the headache and just get the large one. I have both and there is no contest in usability between the two: the large is much more usable at not much larger in size.

Get the Absolute Strap as well, this bag is actually large enough to carry quite a bit and you will be thankful you did, especially for the grippy surface of the strap.
    Darcy likes this.

I have the same bag and strap, and I agree about the Absolute strap. I also like its fixed (as opposed to sliding) pad. I haven't tried a large OP since I rarely need to carry paperwork; isn't it too wide for the bag? Do you have any photos of how your set up?

Yeah I need to invest in an absolute strap or a QAM strap for my LCB. I have the QAM on my ID and it is awesome. When I carry my LCB on non workdays I miss it because the strap slides around. Still the LCB is great for casual carry and to help corral some of the kid's stuff (diapers, sippy, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    I have the same bag and strap, and I agree about the Absolute strap. I also like its fixed (as opposed to sliding) pad. I haven't tried a large OP since I rarely need to carry paperwork; isn't it too wide for the bag? Do you have any photos of how your set up?
    No, there is plenty of room in the bag for the pouch and as you can see in these photographs, a lot more space. These two full-sized books have a combined thickness of a bit more than 3 inches and a weight of about 8 pounds or so, and there is plenty of room to add more if necessary. I left the pouch up a little bit, but it can be pushed even farther down into the bag and the flap closes over all of this with no problems at all.

Name:  Bihn Large Cafe (1).JPG
Views: 423
Size:  127.9 KBName:  Bihn Large Cafe (2).JPG
Views: 436
Size:  151.8 KB

Here is my normal load out. Everything here is from Tom Bihn, with the exception of the little Photon Freedom LED light on a 14 inch lanyard. I have half a dozen of these little lights, I always have one in my pocket. I attach it to the long lanyard and position itself so it is easily utilized while the bag is slung across my chest. I have had several nighttime death scenes in the middle of corn fields, backyards, etc., and this little light makes the walk in and out so much easier.

Name:  Bihn Large Cafe.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  499.7 KB

Huh. Well, how 'bout that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spydermann View Post
    I have had several nighttime death scenes in the middle of corn fields, backyards, etc., and this little light makes the walk in and out so much easier.
    I had to double back and read that sentence again. It didn't make sense to me until I saw your job title in the clear OP. WOW. I'm impressed that TB bag owners have such a fascinating variety of professions and backgrounds. I'm glad to hear your bag setup helps you keep organized to do what you have to do.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0