Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Darcy
  • 2 Post By Fat Crip
  • 1 Post By ChrisG

Thread: Bye, Cardinal

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Bye, Cardinal

Late breaking news: we’re almost out of our Cardinal 1050d ballistic nylon and once it’s gone, it’s gone. We might replace it with another red, or a different color, or we might not replace it at all. That’s still to be decided… stay tuned!

So, what does this mean exactly? If you’ve been considering placing an order for a bag in Cardinal, it might be a good idea to do so sooner rather than later. Here’s a partial list of some of the bags currently available in Cardinal….

Ballistic Nylon Organizer Pouches
    The Cadet
    Clear Organizer Wallet
    Western Flyer
    Aeronaut

Name:  cardinalkit.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  47.2 KB
    Close-up of the Kit in Cardinal (now sold out).
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Cardinal is one of my favourite TB colours. I have a Western Flyer in it!

I'll be sad to see Cardinal go--a really classy deep red. I wish I'd gotten a (soon to be retired as well) Imago in Cardinal-hemp, but I'm happy with the Aubergine-hemp option I went with when I saw that Cardinal wasn't available.

Tom Bihn has had so many great deep color options in ballistic--how about a deep burgundy or maroon as a replacement for Cardinal. I'd be all over that one!
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Truly a handsome colour, though I can't personally pull off a lot of reds seemingly. I'll settle for red as my accent colour (love Iberian lining).

Would like seeing another take on red. Maybe next year you guys can then go with my Canada Day idea for a limited edition somethingerother... Maple Leaf Red!
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Glad I got my Aeronaut in cardinal. It definitely stands out!
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

JLE
    My Aeronaut and Western Flyer are Cardinal. It's a great colour for travel bags because it stands out (since nobody will force you to gate check these bags it doesn't matter if they stand out; in fact I find it helpful!).

I'm also hoping we'll see a deeper red as the replacement. Any hints, Darcy?

Or how about going in a completely different direction and doing a ballistic colour similar to linen? That would certainly send me on another shopping spree!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Maybe my last chance to quote this, but Cardinal always reminds me of the work of Anish Kapur who often works in a similar colour of red. He said

"Red makes the kind of black that blue doesn't. The kind of black that you see when you close your eyes ... a black that you are intimately familliar with ..." Anish Kapur 2009

I can't see cardinal without thinking of this phrase. It's just exactly that colour

Volunteer Moderator
    You know, for the longest time there has always been a red shade of some sort as a standard Ballistic Nylon color. First it was Crimson, then it was Cardinal. I still use a Cardinal Luxe bag (Swift Predecessor, whose inside zippered pocket is black instead of clear). And I have a Crimson Aeronaut and Western Flyer.

Being a firefighter, red is one of my favorite colors and I definitely enjoy having red bags. For a long time, they were a rarity and stood out on the baggage carousel, though they have become more common in recent years. Glad I got my Smart Alec in Cardinal - it's a very sharp bag.
    RhoFro likes this.

I was searching Tom Bihn's Forum to see whether I could get lucky with "any Singapore Residents doing some kind of Tom Bihn spree for accessories item". So far, turn out nothing in this year 2014

Nevertheless, I stumbled across this unfortunate news. A bit sad but understandable. Hey that's life, right?
    Red is kinda one of my favourite color. Solar is still my first choice as lining, bring out some good contrast.

Darcy mentioned that Cardinal could be replace with other Red color of 1050d Material. May I know whether that color is still available or still working out in the "near future"?

With the end of Cardinal...this leaves room for another shade...of...PINK! Pink Dyneema, Pink Cordura, Pink Ballistic Nylon...the choices are endless. We need more choices outside of Azalea!
    Bags I Want: Dyneema A30

Current Bags: Black Dyneema/Wasabi CP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi NFTD w/2 packing cubes, Hemp Swift, Cork Swift, Cork LS, LSB, SSB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi LCB, Black Dyneema/Solar SCB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi SE, Size 1 Stuff Sack, TT, Plenty of YSS, Q-Kit, bunches of pouches

check dates: was over a year ago... but my heart rate sure went up...
    shucks.
    Last edited by meekasmom; 07-15-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Super Moderator
    meekasmom: Same here; thought it had been retired a while back. (Too bad!) I like my own bags (at least outermost bags) to be as black as possible, but this and kelly green are two that tempt me anyhow. Wish I'd bought a Kit in cardinal when they were available.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0