Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Next Forum Updates... share your suggestions

I don't know if updates are still being made, but back in the day I asked if we could perhaps have a live chat/IM option added to the forum—members only. It might be nice to talk to fellow members in real time (or not, but then again it would be optional, haha).

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Update!

We now have an attachment gallery that will let one view all images uploaded by forum members. Take a look. Any thoughts? We don't have a lot of options when it comes to the layout or searchability (attachments can be searched by tags, so it's a good reminder to always add tags to our posts) but feel free to share your thoughts.

Also, we're considering moving the "How to..." forum posts and threads to the "Questions about bags or accessories" forum and removing the "How to..." forum as a way to consolidate/simplify the forum structure. Thoughts?
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

i would love to chat to folks in real time about bags and stuff, bag fiends talking to fellow bag fiends.
    Hollie likes this.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Threads in the "Just for registered members" forum not appearing in New Posts list???

I'm duplicating this reply in this thread to mention that I just noticed that threads from the "Just for registered members" forum don't show up in my "New Posts" list either. I'm accessing from my home PC via Firefox, not using TapaTalk. I wonder if this started happening after the most recent update to the forum software? I sure can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Are TapaTalk users automatically picking up the new posts in the "Just for Registered Users" forum? Just checking, because I don't think Darcy's post came up automatically for me.

This is something I noticed a few months ago. No "registered members" posts show up as unread whether using tapatalk or my browsers. For a long time I thought it was just me. Glad to see I haven't been singled out in some inscrutable cosmic joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tCook and TavaPeak like this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    This is something I noticed a few months ago. No "registered members" posts show up as unread whether using tapatalk or my browsers. For a long time I thought it was just me. Glad to see I haven't been singled out in some inscrutable cosmic joke.

@Badger It's not just the "Just for registered members" forum that doesn't show up as new posts, it's also the "Admin" forum, as you can check since you're a moderator. I think that any forum that cannot be accessed by all users, whether or not they log into the forums, is affected by this. It might go back to the vBulletin settings.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Badger It's not just the "Just for registered members" forum that doesn't show up as new posts, it's also the "Admin" forum, as you can check since you're a moderator. I think that any forum that cannot be accessed by all users, whether or not they log into the forums, is affected by this. It might go back to the vBulletin settings.
    That makes sense--I had never put that together. Really, it's only a minor inconvenience and things seem to work well otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by spamjam View Post
    I'm duplicating this reply in this thread to mention that I just noticed that threads from the "Just for registered members" forum don't show up in my "New Posts" list either. I'm accessing from my home PC via Firefox, not using TapaTalk. I wonder if this started happening after the most recent update to the forum software? I sure can't remember.
    I don't know when or how it changed, but threads from the registered members forum are now appearing in my New Posts. Thanks to whoever made the change (if anyone)! Or maybe it happened all by itself?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by spamjam View Post
    I don't know when or how it changed, but threads from the registered members forum are now appearing in my New Posts. Thanks to whoever made the change (if anyone)! Or maybe it happened all by itself?
    This feature got fixed sometime between January 19 and 20. Coincidentally, there seem to have been a number of new user posts that were missed in moderation around that period. Darcy mentioned a few days before then that it should be fixed soon, so I assume this was a vBulletin support issue.

When in the forums, there are links at the top of the page that link back to the product/shopping side…Travel Bags, Laptop Bags, Briefcases, Backpacks etc.

But there's no link for the "Knit" page. So I click on any link (like "Accessories"). From the product pages there is a "Knit" link at the top. No big deal, but the direct "knit" link would be nice.

I notice this because I click on "Knit" all the time, waiting for a new color combo in the Swift. Apparently, 11 color choices are not enough for me. Goldilocks is my spirit animal.
    Last edited by K9TB; 02-03-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Update!

We now have an attachment gallery that will let one view all images uploaded by forum members. Take a look. Any thoughts? We don't have a lot of options when it comes to the layout or searchability (attachments can be searched by tags, so it's a good reminder to always add tags to our posts) but feel free to share your thoughts.

Also, we're considering moving the "How to..." forum posts and threads to the "Questions about bags or accessories" forum and removing the "How to..." forum as a way to consolidate/simplify the forum structure. Thoughts?
    I really like the ability to search from the Attachment gallery, but I usually do this from either an iPad or an iPhone where I'm using a 3rd party web browser app like Atomic Web Browser or iCab Mobile that can be set to display web pages like a desktop browser. I'm not sure whether advanced search functions work in Safari on the iPhone because I haven't been able to run any Advanced searches that use the PHP interface for the forums on any platform (mobile or Desktop computer) for a couple of weeks.

Is this just my ineptitude or does nobody else run this kind of search? I do a lot of linking and referencing to old threads in my posts. So far I'm getting around this by relying on my memory of the exact details of past posts to craft the searches and determine what I type into the search box, or else resort to Google searches. I guess this isn't a commonly used function, or else people are running simpler searches.

moriond

I don't know who's rig you use for your forum setup, but I've seen similar web-forums for other sites and they tend to have better forum search engines. The Bihn forum's search engine has some nice abilities, but it isn't powerful enough if you want to seek out specific and/or layered search criteria. It would be nicer to be able to look up an old thread or posting through an improved search engine.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Update!

This is an old post i know but i didn't see it until today .... I like the how to section .... In fact am gearing up to initiate a thread there. - i think it's good to keep these posts separate so that thay dont disappear down the list due to aging.
    List under construction ....

Ability to edit and delete your post after a day.

Not forum-related, but on the main Tom Bihn website it would be helpful if the Accessories page were better organised, maybe into subsections like "Packing cubes", "Pouches and wallets", etc. (with links to each section at the top of the page?). At the moment it's a very long page with a seemingly random listing of items, making it hard to browse. I get the feeling that it's one of those pages that, like Topsy, just growed

Thanks!
    EDC: S19 (olive/steel) or MCB (plum/wasabi), plus SE (olive/UV) and/or FJN (steel)
    Travel: WF (black/wasabi) with various packing cubes, stuff sacks and pouches
    On order: Swift (aubergine/wasabi), another SE (black/iberian) and more accessories!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0