Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: The Imago is being retired

I used to use one of the side pockets for my phone, before phones morphed into small tablets. Maybe the replacement will accommodate larger phones? Better yet, sunglasses or eyeglasses.
    These days, my side pockets hold things for easy accessibility on a plane like chapstick, aleve tablets, earbuds, earplugs, hard candies, etc. Not really all that useful anymore...
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I use the side pockets to hold hand sanitizer & a folding bag (for groceries). If they were sized up a bit I'd probably stick my iPhone on there (but I wouldn't want them - or the bag - to be huge).

Love the horizontal arrangement, which is the main reason I keep coming back to this bag.
    RDR3 likes this.
    Proud owner of an Aeronaut (indigo), Med. Cafe (steel, indigo), mini organizer (blue), med. organizer (cork), larger organizer (cork). Always thinking about what to get next.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrant27 View Post
    I use the side pockets to hold hand sanitizer & a folding bag (for groceries). If they were sized up a bit I'd probably stick my iPhone on there (but I wouldn't want them - or the bag - to be huge).

Love the horizontal arrangement, which is the main reason I keep coming back to this bag.
    I agree completely with finding advantage to the horizontal arrangement. It's why I purchased the bag (that and it's beauty) and why I keep backing away from purchasing Cafe Bags no matter how tempting they may be at times.......
    Synapse 25 Steel D/Wasabi, Side Effects: Black/Wasabi, Steel D/Wasabi; PCSBs in UV, wasabi, and steel; Large Shop Bags: 2 Nordic, 2 Solar; 2 sm. Shop Bag UV; CoPilot Black D/Wasabi; black D/wasabi Pilot; 3 Travel Trays; 3 Clear 1/4 packing cubes;
    wallets; number padded pouches and clear organizer pouches, key straps, double carabiners galore, and soon to be the mother of an aubergine/UV SE AND an Aeronaut Junior!!!!!!!!! (Darcy says soon.)

My iPhone 5 sits quite comfortably in the side pocket with a Spigen Slim Armor case. It's a matter of I bought the phone case to work with my Imago! After all, one must have the right priorities in life, right? At any rate, the case is lovely and durable (I've proved it by dropping my phone onto hard brick) yet is super slim. It slides into the side pocket quite easily. If you'd like to put your phone in that side pocket, I'd recommend you take a look at one.

Thanks Masuermama, I'll bookmark the case for when I do upgrade to the iPhone 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    My iPhone 5 sits quite comfortably in the side pocket with a Spigen Slim Armor case. It's a matter of I bought the phone case to work with my Imago! After all, one must have the right priorities in life, right? At any rate, the case is lovely and durable (I've proved it by dropping my phone onto hard brick) yet is super slim. It slides into the side pocket quite easily. If you'd like to put your phone in that side pocket, I'd recommend you take a look at one.
    Proud owner of an Aeronaut (indigo), Med. Cafe (steel, indigo), mini organizer (blue), med. organizer (cork), larger organizer (cork). Always thinking about what to get next.

I'm so glad I got mine (navy, cork, wasabi) - I've had a lot of compliments on it - especially the cork part.
    Owner of Founders Briefcase (navy/steel), Aeronaut (crimson/steel), Absolute Strap, Co-Pilot (steel/solar), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/sapphire), Imago (navy/cork/wasabi),Horizontal Freudian Slip, Snake Charmer (steel), Wallet (olive), Side Effect (olive), asst pouches and cubes.

I'd been hemming and hawing for awhile over getting the Aubergine/Hemp Imago, and now that I finally decided to go for it, I see it's gone forever! *sadface* I guess that'll show me to visit the forums more often.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what's to come! Though I'm a little concerned: the 2 just-announced bags look lovely and well-designed, but they've got such a distinctive style that it makes me wonder if the rest of the upcoming bags will have that same old-school canvas-and-leather look, too. Please say it ain't so! One of the many things I love about Tom Bihn bags is how versatile they are--I don't feel at all out of place with them no matter what I'm wearing or where I'm going--and this new look is timeless and trendy but not particularly versatile, or my style. So here's hoping for something dark and sleek and rugged sexy! And maybe with an external water bottle pocket. (And also a pony.)
    Buzz in Black, Imago in Black/Black/Steel, Ego in Black/Black/Steel, TriStar in Black, Large Cafe Bag in Black/Wasabi, SuperEgo in Black/Black/Steel, Side Effect in Plum, a couple Kits, and more clear pouches than one woman could ever possibly need

When the news of the Imago's retirement was communicated, I went into an Imago buying frenzy and bought two. The one I have only used once is forest, cork, and steel. Let me know if you're interested. It's for sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Synapse 25 Steel D/Wasabi, Side Effects: Black/Wasabi, Steel D/Wasabi; PCSBs in UV, wasabi, and steel; Large Shop Bags: 2 Nordic, 2 Solar; 2 sm. Shop Bag UV; CoPilot Black D/Wasabi; black D/wasabi Pilot; 3 Travel Trays; 3 Clear 1/4 packing cubes;
    wallets; number padded pouches and clear organizer pouches, key straps, double carabiners galore, and soon to be the mother of an aubergine/UV SE AND an Aeronaut Junior!!!!!!!!! (Darcy says soon.)

Retired - but not replaced?

The lead post on this thread says:

"Imago is being retired to make way for new designs debuting later this year."

It doesn't actually say there's a replacement coming. The new designs - Founders Briefcase & Pilot - certainly aren't imago replacements.

I began my Tom Bihn purchases with the Co-Pilot and Cadet as I didn't know about messenger bags stylistically (more hipsterish?) and also functionally (the flap getting in the way). However in use, I've come to see that messenger bags are for me, more functional (probably in part because I often commute to work by bicycle) - flaps are quick to open and the Q-AM strap allows for very quick adjustment - high on the back for transport, then swing to front & lower the bag for easy access without taking it off.

Currently I have a Large Cafe Bag and the one thing I wonder about is whether a horizontal design would be easier to "root around in" with my hands while the bag is still on my person. The LCB is deep and perhaps the shallowness of a horizontal design might work better for me - hard to know without testing.

Unfortunately, Tom's smallest horizontal messenger design at the moment is the ID, which is a much larger and more structured bag - too much bag for me, for example I definitely don't need water bottle holding. (To be a curmudgeon for a moment, I don't get the whole water bottle thing. I drink from a public fountain or ask for a cup of water or, if I get a water bottle - drink it and be done with it! But that's me. ).

So I would like to see an Imago replacement, and I wonder if one might be coming in the future - but it doesn't sound like it.

You may possibly yet see one....there are rumors of a cross body knitting bag to be released (in spring?). The Imago was a very poplar bag with knitters who prefer a cross body strap over a shoulder strap (Swift). TB (I believe) has been working with Amy Singer (editor of KNITTY) on the design of the bag. Unfortunately, there hasn't been any hints on what we may see on this new bag. There are many of us anxiously awaiting with credit cards "at the ready!"
    taminca likes this.
    SEEKING: Black/Iberian Western Flyer
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork/Iberian Little Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Black/Iberian Aeronaut, Iberian PCBP, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Iberian Travel Stuff Sacks (all 4 sizes), Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

I think it's okay to mention this here: I'm selling my lovely aubergine/hemp/steel Imago in very very good condition on eBay.

Tom Bihn Aubergine Hemp Steel Imago Messenger Bag Absolute Strap Retired Mint | eBay

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

And it's sold already.

I love my Imago, but I rarely used it. It's crimson and in terrific condition. I've posted it for sale on eBay and I was hoping that a dedicated Tom Bihn fan might be interested in giving it a new home.

Tom Bihn Imago Messenger Bag Retired Red Black Black | eBay

Oh, I do so hope that there is a true horizontal messenger bag that fits the niche of the late, lamented Imago. I've got so many TB bags and pouches, but the one I love the most is my Imago. (Don't tell the other bags, okay?)
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0