Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: The Imago is being retired

I have an olive/cork Imago. It sat in a corner for a long time. I pulled it out several months ago and fell in love with it all over again. But, like others, I am curious about what's going to be introduced in the coming months.

p.s. I mentioned my (above) sad story to my boyfriend, who bought one for me -- and said it's either my September birthday present, or I could buy it from him sooner as a present to myself, as above. I now have a Forest/Cork/Steel bag waiting for me, with a cork clear oragnizer wallet and steel ballistic mini organizer pouch for cash... yay, he is awesome! (He's also the one who gifted me with a black/black/wasabi Imago in 2007

But I still wouldn't mind trading my left-handed Buzz for an Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago...

I have a Olive/Linen/Wasabi Imago. It was my carry around bag on two trips to Taiwan, Walt Disney World and elsewhere. I love the size, especially for carrying my iPad and a Kindle. Such a fantastic little messenger bag.

The Imago was my first Tom Bihn purchase. I've since bought a Small Café Bag and Medium Café Bag (which served as my carry around bag at Universal Studios last month) and Side Effect.

Can't wait to see what the future brings for Tom Bihn products.

Oh, I am sad...the Imago was my first totally impulsive Tom Bihn purchase. A lovely steel, cork, wasabi perfect messenger bag. I carried it everywhere and abused it shamefully. Finally, about three months ago, I retired it from everyday use and bought an aubergine, hemp, steel model.

It never occurred to me that there wouldn't always be Imagos. I will always love it. (Even if its replacement is awesome, and I come to love it, too). Nothing like a first love, though.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Beau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    It never occurred to me that there wouldn't always be Imagos. I will always love it. (Even if its replacement is awesome, and I come to love it, too). Nothing like a first love, though.
    Well said, flitcraft; there certainly isn't anything like a first love.

The Imago is and has been my everyday, everywhere bag. I know all good things must come to an end, and in any case, the one I have will likely outlive me and I am keeping it. But since there is a replacement in the works, I wanted to mention a few of the things which makes the Imago such a great bag for me, in the hope that the replacement will also have all the things I love.

First, it is the ideal, Goldilocks size: not too big, but not too small. It carries a lot, but is small enough to be discrete . I bought my Imago to replace (alas, also sometimes to compliment) a huge messenger bag by another manufacturer. I use it to carry my personal, everyday stuff all the time, and also to carry my work when I don’t have to carry too much. I also have a small café bag, which I thought would be great in the summer for just my sunglasses and a notebook. But instead, I almost always just take the Imago. It is big enough to carry my MacBook Air in a sleeve, or in a pinch, a 13" MacBook (though that is really pushing it). And the Imago works very well for things which aren’t flat, like a camera, or my lunch. Bags like the Cadet or any other briefcase style bag are great for flat, rectangular things like laptops or notebooks, but they just don’t do well with other shapes. A messenger-style bag like the Imago can do both. I take it everywhere, from the beach to the office.

There are other advantages to the Imago. It has a strap, but also a handle, so it can be carried two ways. (I have one of the older ones, where the handle was an undeclared option not listed on the website!). It also has an open exterior pocket on the back. I use this all the time for books or magazines when the main compartment is full, or for a notebook when I need quick access. Both the handle and the outside pocket were necessities when I was shopping for a new bag. My partner hates the big fastex buckle on the flap, but I love the adjustable flap closure: unlike the café bags with their non-adjustable flap buckles, with the Imago I can vary the volume or strap a jacket or sweater under the flap.

I could continue to name other great qualities (the outside suede-lined pockets for a phone, etc., the wonderful wasabi lining, etc.), but it is time to stop. I know the replacement will be fantastic, but I just wanted to mention the best parts of the Imago, in the hope that the new bag will also include them: handy size, strap and handle, and open pocket. Maybe others have their own favorite parts of the Imago which they would like to see incorporated in a new bag?

I agree with everything bbcamp just said. My Imago is not just my everyday carry, it's the best 'personal item' and day bag while traveling I've ever had. So...if you are designing a similar sized horizontal oriented bag (and if you're not, then how can it replace the Imago?), here is my wish list.

Keep the loop handle on the top--I didn' think I would ever use it, but it turns out I do--a lot! Keep an easy-access outside pocket that you can use for a folder large enough to hold standard 8 1/2 by 11 paper like computer printed boarding passes, schedules and anything else printed on standard paper. That is one of the most useful features of the Imago when used as a 'personal item' when flying.

I don't use the outside side pockets much anymore--they used to fit pre-smartphone phones but they're now too small. So bigger ones? Or eliminate in favor of more internal options? I find the outside zippered pocket really useful for things that need to be fairly secure--like a small Tom Bihn wallet for credt cards and a passport. The other 'outside pocket' is less useful for me--I'd rather have a second zippered pocket.

Please keep lots of O-rings in the replacement design--I clip in three or more pouches when I travel, and to my mind, even though the Imago isn't 'secure' in the sense of being zippered and locked down, I'm comfortable even in pickpocket-rich environments when my goodies are clipped into my Imago via the O-rings.

Oh, and please consider making the replacement in ballistic nylon! I love, love, love its tough as nails character as well as its imperviousness to pet hair, fluff, etc. A quick swipe with a damp towel and any dust and grime are history.

I'm writing this in an airport, looking wistfully at my aubergine and hemp Imago, realizing that it's one of the last of its kind. I'm trying to focus on the possibilities of the future, though.

Any idea when the replacement will be announced? My bank account wants to know...
    DPUTiger and RDR3 like this.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

And I almost forgot--one of the best attibutes of the Imago is the lovely curved inset. Not overtly feminine, but worlds away from the utilitarian boring design of most messenger bags. Stylish without being fussy.

My aubergine and hemp imago arrived yesterday. It's beautiful.

I agree with all of Flitcraft's pluses and minuses. One extra minus: the extra length of the standard strap ends look sloppy unless I stuff them into the side pockets. One reiterated plus: the imago is perfect for carrying around a few file folders. It's definitely going to be my conference bag.

Snowbot, you will find that the Imago is the perfect 'go to conference' bag. While everyone else is carrying the conference program and assorted papers in the dorky conference bags that get given out (and these days, they are getting cheaper and flimsier, at least in my field!), you will be rocking the Imago. My 'retired' Imago did service at conferences on five continents...and it served as a great day bag for those conference outings (and those days that I snuck away from conference attending for touristing...shhh...don't tell!)
    TavaPeak and RDR3 like this.

Thanks, Flitcraft. The Imago is packed and ready to head out at the crack of dawn tomorrow for a conference.

So, Flitcraft, I'm curious: what do you take to conferences now that your Imago is retired?

I take my new aubergine and steel Imago to conferences these days, bbcamp. I expect to get a number of years out of it, and hopefully by then, the Imago-replacement will have wormed its way into my bag collection and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    Keep the loop handle on the top--I didn' think I would ever use it, but it turns out I do--a lot! Keep an easy-access outside pocket that you can use for a folder large enough to hold standard 8 1/2 by 11 paper like computer printed boarding passes, schedules and anything else printed on standard paper. That is one of the most useful features of the Imago when used as a 'personal item' when flying.
    I agree with flitcraft. The loop handle is really helpful for picking the bag up (e.g., from the trunk, under the airplane seat, from the overhead bin). And I use the open back pocket all the time, as flitcraft does for boarding passes, but also to consolidate bags when the airline gets touchy (I can stuff my field journal notebook into that pocket).
    Owner of Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, Horizontal Freudian Slip, black Brain Cell, Iberian Packing Cube Backpack, Ultraviolet Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and various organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

My Imago was the perfect conference bag, as predicted by Flitcraft. My only complaint, other than the shoulder strap ends, is that the two ultrasuede pockets on the sides are too small to be useful to me. Well, one is used to store the end of the shoulder strap.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0