Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Cudasnx
  • 1 Post By Cudasnx
  • 1 Post By Darcy
  • 1 Post By Cudasnx
  • 2 Post By autolycus

Thread: got my 25 yesterday... so happy... also first hack.

got my 25 yesterday... so happy... also first hack.

Well i received my synapse 25 yesterday and i could not be happier with the bag. With my order of the bag i had also ordered another waist strap with the hopes that my first hack attempt with this bag would work. Success... well mostly,

Attachment 3699

I used both the waist strap from the bag and the extra one to create straps for the inside that attach to the webbing loops usually used for the cash with rails. This makes it so when the bag is opened you have an obstacle for retrieving things. No one can open your bag and easily remove large objects. With two clicks of the buckles and you can now open completely. The only thing is that there is a lot of extra strap left over. I will probably sew them into loops so that they cannot loosen up (unless TB wants to make some for me wink wink)

i dont think the picture worked. sorry about that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Darcy likes this.

i also believe there is still enough room for a cash with rails to be attached as well. i will update when i order a cash with rails.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cudasnx View Post
    i also believe there is still enough room for a cash with rails to be attached as well. i will update when i order a cash with rails.
    Very interesting hack. Please do keep us updated re: the Cache with Rails and whether there's room for it to be attached.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Very interesting hack. Please do keep us updated re: the Cache with Rails and whether there's room for it to be attached.
    Pretty neat. There is always the fear someone standing behind you in a crowded area will just open your bag and grab things. Especially when traveling.

I have a photography back pack from LowePro that is neat in that the entry to the backpack is from the BACK of the bag, so when you are carrying it on your back, its impossible for anyone to stand behind you and open it up. Its a great feature.

So here is my update. I received the cash with rails and side effect from Tom Bihn last week. Im really liking the side effect BTW.

Name:  IMG_0081.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  710.2 KB
    Here is the cash sitting right below the waist straps I use as a theft prevention measure. I also find it nice that my bag doesnt just flop open when hanging on a hook.

Name:  IMG_0082.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  671.1 KB
    Both sides of the clips sitting there. And a nice pic of the side effect.

Name:  IMG_0083.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  739.2 KB
    The clips attached making it hard for anything to be taken from my bag.

Name:  IMG_0084.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  695.7 KB
    The side effect and the cash pulled out of the bag with no problems with the clips.

Name:  IMG_0085.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  567.6 KB
    Just a little closer now.
    Darcy likes this.

You're just using two of the regular waist straps, right? For anyone else that wants to experiment with this hack themselves, it looks like the Smart Alec exterior straps would be a better option, assuming you're actually buying the straps and not simply repurposing ones you've already got and aren't using--and I'm all for repurposing things that aren't being used!

My reasoning being that the SA straps are also 1" gatekeepers and one side of them is very short with just enough webbing for the gatekeeper and the quick-release snap. The SA strap is 17" total length, whereas the standard waist belt is 37". That's a lot of extra webbing to deal with.
    Darcy and Lani like this.

Hey cudasnx, could you post a full picture of your Synapse in the steel? If it's not too much of a hassle..in direct sun light and indoors as you have now?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0