Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: The new Side Effect

Moriond, thanks for the pics.

Thanks everyone! Yikes, I thought I'd edited out the part about liking the old one better! Really that's an oversimplification. I like the old one better *for EDC*.

I'm keeping the new-style Solar SE, because (a) it's Solar! I *have* to keep it if it's Solar! and (b) it'll work as an organizer inside another bag. And I'm planning to order *another* in black Ballistic, because *since the belt is removable* it'll work as a dressy purse, and I need one. For that I'll put up with the inconvenient o-ring placement since it's sure better than no o-rings at all!

I'm just not sure about keeping the one I had planned to use as my EDC. I like the removable waist strap, but for EDC I need a way to leave it on (or take it on and off *easily*), so I miss the sleeve. I love that it's made of Steel Dyneema, but I had expected it to be the lighter 200D (I thought I read on the forums that they were all 200D except the Nordic). And I like the discreet label placement...but the o-ring placement is a real problem for me.

What I need is an off-center top seam o-ring. The center one pushes the wallet just a bit too far to the side to fit comfortably, and the side seam one holds it just a bit too far down. The off-center top seam o-rings in the original SE are perfect for holding the wallet higher than everything else in the bag, helping it fit well and keeping it accessible. If only they were on the other side so they didn't interfere with the inside pockets!

Today I tried out the Solar 200D SE as an EDC. I love how light it is! It's so thin that my calendar shows through on the outside, which I actually think looks cute:

Name:  SolarSE.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  486.5 KB

I tied one of the zipper cords to a side o-ring to enable the wallet to be lifted up just a little:

Name:  SEKnot.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  679.8 KB

It doesn't hold the wallet higher like the old SE, but it no longer forces it down. Or there's an Etsy crafter I like who makes looped key fobs (similar to the Handle Loop)...maybe she'd make a double-headed key fob that's just a couple inches long. (Like...a shorter Key Strap. ) I feel like Double Carabiners would be too bulky for this. Maybe a small S-biner?

I missed the waist belt, though. Would Double Carabiners clip onto closed Gatekeeper Clips or is the opening on the Gatekeeper Clips too small? I really like the idea of using Double Carabiners or S-biners to attach a SE to a seat back tray!

Was the old-style SE ever made in Dyneema?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    I love that it's made of Steel Dyneema, but I had expected it to be the lighter 200D (I thought I read on the forums that they were all 200D except the Nordic). And I like the discreet label placement...but the o-ring placement is a real problem for me.

What I need is an off-center top seam o-ring. The center one pushes the wallet just a bit too far to the side to fit comfortably, and the side seam one holds it just a bit too far down. The off-center top seam o-rings in the original SE are perfect for holding the wallet higher than everything else in the bag, helping it fit well and keeping it accessible. If only they were on the other side so they didn't interfere with the inside pockets!

Today I tried out the Solar 200D SE as an EDC. I love how light it is! It's so thin that my calendar shows through on the outside, which I actually think looks cute:

Name:  SolarSE.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  486.5 KB

I tied one of the zipper cords to a side o-ring to enable the wallet to be lifted up just a little:

Name:  SEKnot.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  679.8 KB

It doesn't hold the wallet higher like the old SE, but it no longer forces it down. Or there's an Etsy crafter I like who makes looped key fobs (similar to the Handle Loop)...maybe she'd make a double-headed key fob that's just a couple inches long. (Like...a shorter Key Strap. ) I feel like Double Carabiners would be too bulky for this. Maybe a small S-biner?

I missed the waist belt, though. Would Double Carabiners clip onto closed Gatekeeper Clips or is the opening on the Gatekeeper Clips too small? I really like the idea of using Double Carabiners or S-biners to attach a SE to a seat back tray!

Was the old-style SE ever made in Dyneema?
    @hiker The old style SE was never made in anything but Cordura. When Dyneema versions of the Side Effect were first offered a year ago, they were only available in 200d Dyneema (that included Steel, Solar and Wasabi before it sold out). When Black 400d Dyneema was introduced at the end of September, that was the first time they offered the Side Effect in 400d Dyneema. Then in January, just before the introduction of the Pilot, they announced Nordic/Solar as an ordering combination for the Pilit, and followed that with the announcement of Nordic 400d Dyneema/Solar Side Effects. At that point they also made it possible to order Steel side effects in 400d Dyneema, I think.

I attach my clear organizer wallet to the O-Ring in the front zippered pocket. One advantage of the O-ring placement at the top and between the pockets in main compartment of the new Side Effect is that keystraps attached there don't block items you pull out of the pockets.

I just use the Gatekeeper clips to attach the waist strap (from one of my Cafe Bags or Backpacks). You might watch @maverick's videos for both the original and new Side Effect that are both linked in today's Smaller-sized body hugging bag thread. There's also the Side Effect video from Tom Bihn In the blog.

HTH. moriond
    Hollie likes this.

My 14yo son and I used Side Effects on our trip to Rome/Paris. Mine is steel Dyneema, his is navy parapack. To whoever came up with the idea to use double carabiners to clip the SEs to seat pockets on planes - may you always be upgraded to first class. Brilliant! It worked so well.

I can fit my headphones (new beloved Bose Q20s) and tablet (Nexus 7) in the SE--all I need for a long flight is in one compact place. My son never misplaced his stuff (a new record). After the flight, the SEs went back into the backpacks, and off we went. No fuss.
    Hollie and Ilkyway like this.

I desperately want an SE in cardinal nylon (is that the right term?) or iberian dyneema! Alas, it is not available in those fabrics, so I've been carrying my iberian mesh organizer cube around on a cross body strap that is the same color as iberian and it functions wonderfully. It's very convenient to pull out of my large handbag that contains just about anything I could possibly need during the course of the day, when away from home.

I wonder if I could buy some of the cardinal fabric before it completely goes away? I do know how to sew, though I don't particularly like to; maybe I could make something myself. I just want the SE to go with my Aeronaut and Synapse color scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by andejoan View Post
    I desperately want an SE in cardinal nylon (is that the right term?) or iberian dyneema!
    Oooh.....wouldn't a cardinal ballistic nylon SE have been fabulous!!! I wish TB didn't retire cardinal.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by andejoan View Post
    I desperately want an SE in cardinal nylon (is that the right term?) or iberian dyneema! Alas, it is not available in those fabrics, so I've been carrying my iberian mesh organizer cube around on a cross body strap that is the same color as iberian and it functions wonderfully. It's very convenient to pull out of my large handbag that contains just about anything I could possibly need during the course of the day, when away from home.

I wonder if I could buy some of the cardinal fabric before it completely goes away? I do know how to sew, though I don't particularly like to; maybe I could make something myself. I just want the SE to go with my Aeronaut and Synapse color scheme.
    @andejean Sad to say, I think the last of the Cardinal Ballistic Nylon was used up in making that final batch of Aeronauts. I've even been unsuccessful in phone inquiries about whether any remaining scraps from the Aeronaut fabrication might have resulted in enough material to make a Pocket Pouch in Cardinal/Black 400d Dyneema. (I think I got one of three Cardinal/Iberian pocket pouches that were left about a month ago, along with a small Ballistic Nylon pouch in Cardinal). The closest suggestion I can make at present is to either use the 3D Fabric Organizer Cube in Iberian Dyneema (like your mesh organizer cube, but with more fabric) or a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in Iberian Dyneema, as shown in this post.

ETA: The above link doesn't go directly to the April 12, 2014 post if I use TapaTalk, so here's the image of my PCSB in Iberian from that post

I won't bother to try to copy the complete post, which you can read in the thread.
    Both these accessories are currently in stock for order. The only comment about the Iberian Packing Cube Shpulder Bag is that because of its length, it is somewhat floppy when not filled. See the discussion at the end of the thread on 3 weeks in the UK with my Packing Cube Shoulder Bag for details:
    3 Weeks in the UK with my Packing Cube Shoulder Bag

And you would probably need to order the Standard Shoulder Strap.

I've been requesting that they make more of the Side Effects in the other 200d Dyneema colors, like Iberian, Ultraviolet, and Wasabi (again), but that's not likely to happen while these Dyneema products remain in short supply.

HTH.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-19-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Does Scott put the SE into a Synapse 19 or 25 in the end of the in-house video? Does it fit into a Synapse 19 nonetheless?
    Last edited by Tania68; 10-04-2014 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Thought I'd clarify which video I meant.

Tania68 the Backpack in which Scott the SE puts in is a Smart Alec. The SE does not fit into the Synampse 19 in the side pockets or the bottom pockets. Not fully loaded that is. If your SE is off Dyneema and not fully loaded you can fit it in there. I did not find that an ideal solution. The 3D Organizer Cubes are better fittet in the Synapse 19.
    In the Synapse 25 it fits very well in the Bottom Pocket with a bit room to spare.

Hope this helps,
    Ilkyway
    tpnl likes this.

How does the "new" Side Effect compare to the "old" Side Effect in waist-pack uses? (I have an "old" Side Effect; I think I bought it in 2010.)
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Tania68 the Backpack in which Scott the SE puts in is a Smart Alec. The SE does not fit into the Synampse 19 in the side pockets or the bottom pockets. Not fully loaded that is. If your SE is off Dyneema and not fully loaded you can fit it in there. I did not find that an ideal solution. The 3D Organizer Cubes are better fittet in the Synapse 19.
    In the Synapse 25 it fits very well in the Bottom Pocket with a bit room to spare.

Hope this helps,
    Ilkyway
    The Synapse 19 page states that the bottom front pocket can fit a Side Effect ("it's more than big enough for a 3D Organizer Cube (Mesh, Dyneema, or Clear) or Side Effect") - given that I've seen a few recent mentions that it's not actually a good fit, maybe the product page can be updated to reflect this? It's too bad because I've really been hoping to transfer my current load from a S25 to a S19 and part of that was hinging on the ability to continue putting my (ballistic) SE in the bottom pocket (although I'll still be taking a trip to the TB store to try it out for myself).
    jess likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tania68 View Post
    Does Scott put the SE into a Synapse 19 or 25 in the end of the in-house video? Does it fit into a Synapse 19 nonetheless?
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
    The Synapse 19 page states that the bottom front pocket can fit a Side Effect ("it's more than big enough for a 3D Organizer Cube (Mesh, Dyneema, or Clear) or Side Effect") - given that I've seen a few recent mentions that it's not actually a good fit, maybe the product page can be updated to reflect this? It's too bad because I've really been hoping to transfer my current load from a S25 to a S19 and part of that was hinging on the ability to continue putting my (ballistic) SE in the bottom pocket (although I'll still be taking a trip to the TB store to try it out for myself).
    I carry a Side Effect in the bottom pocket of a Synapse 19 to work every day, and it works well for me. While Parapack or Dyneema SEs are easier to fit inside, Ballistic works too. However, I rarely have my SE full (and only if it's the only bag I'm carrying and absolutely need to stuff more things into it).

I just filled a Ballistic SE to capacity (with a thin cardigan in addition to the regular purse items I usually carry) and was still able to squeeze it into the bottom pocket of my S19. It took a bit of effort (I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis) and would probably take even more effort if the main compartment of the S19 was also stuffed, but it was possible.

In my opinion, the main factor is probably how full you tend to keep your SE....
    tpnl and Ilkyway like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    How does the "new" Side Effect compare to the "old" Side Effect in waist-pack uses? (I have an "old" Side Effect; I think I bought it in 2010.)
    The old style has a fixed waist strap. The new one is removable. The tag placement is different and IIRC the old style didn't com in ballistic and the new one not in cordura.
    HTH. Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Should I bother waiting for a black / Ultra violet combo? Is that even a possibility? I really would like to order a SE but I'm waiting on this combo to become available. Am I waiting for nothing?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0