Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: The new Side Effect

Or steel dyneema/steel dyneema!

Did the Wasabi Dyneema Side Effect get discontinued?

Hopefully not, as I love mine...but just noticed there is a solar Dyneema version available (runs to order).
    --------------------------------

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    Hopefully not, as I love mine...but just noticed there is a solar Dyneema version available (runs to order).
    I have the solar Dyneema version! (And also ones in Aubergine/Wasabi and Navy/Solar).

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemel View Post
    Did the Wasabi Dyneema Side Effect get discontinued?
    Yeah -- we're not making it again... for now, at least.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

While disappointing, I'm glad I got mine while it was available!

Looks like I'll have to go for a Black / Wasabi combination!

Was a bit surprised to realize I now own four Side Effects - one black "old" version, and three new versions (navy ballistic, steel Dyneema and wasabi Dyneema). I haven't even used the steel Dyneema one yet (but will). #need help #addicted
    --------------------------------

Just received my two new SEs in Dyneema (Steel and, of course, my favorite color Solar).

TBH I like my old Side Effect better (both the waist strap design and the o-ring placement). Just wish I had it in Dyneema!

I liked the idea of the removable waist belt, but the Gatekeeper clips are so hard for me to operate that I'd never do it in real life. I like to switch back and forth between carry methods to take the strain off my bad back. Since the removable waist belt doesn't have the sleeve the old one did, just leaving it attached wouldn't work. I like the removable belt, but I wish it still had the sleeve too--then you could leave the belt attached for quick changes, or remove the belt and use the sleeve to attach it to your own belt.

I organize my Side Effect almost exactly the way Stephenls organizes his. Notice he gave up using Key Straps for some of his Organizer Pockets because "it was just making a tangle"--exactly.

The 8" Key Straps are still just too long for the SE. So I'd been attaching my Clear Organizer Wallet to one of the top offset o-rings. Which are no longer there. Now that they've been moved down to the side seams, they're too low to comfortably attach the wallet without a Key Strap.

Now, as others have said, the old o-rings did sometimes block access to the inner pockets a bit. So maybe what I really need is a shorter Key Strap. :chants: Shorter Key Strap! Shorter Key Strap! Shorter Key Strap!

But actually, what would be ideal is if there were o-rings where they were on the old SE--on the top seams instead of the side seams--except on the other side so as not to block the pockets.

I really like the new, discreet label placement. All my above whinings won't stop me from ordering a nice streamlined Ballistic SE to use as a dressier clutch, with a Handle Loop or a 16" Key Strap or even a chain.

Also, I would swear that my new Steel Dyneema/Steel Dyneema SE has 400D on the outside, not 200D (but 200D on the inside)! Am I hallucinating?

Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    Just received my two new SEs in Dyneema (Steel and, of course, my favorite color Solar).

TBH I like my old Side Effect better (both the waist strap design and the o-ring placement). Just wish I had it in Dyneema!

I liked the idea of the removable waist belt, but the Gatekeeper clips are so hard for me to operate that I'd never do it in real life. I like to switch back and forth between carry methods to take the strain off my bad back. Since the removable waist belt doesn't have the sleeve the old one did, just leaving it attached wouldn't work. I like the removable belt, but I wish it still had the sleeve too--then you could leave the belt attached for quick changes, or remove the belt and use the sleeve to attach it to your own belt.

I organize my Side Effect almost exactly the way Stephenls organizes his. Notice he gave up using Key Straps for some of his Organizer Pockets because "it was just making a tangle"--exactly.

The 8" Key Straps are still just too long for the SE. So I'd been attaching my Clear Organizer Wallet to one of the top offset o-rings. Which are no longer there. Now that they've been moved down to the side seams, they're too low to comfortably attach the wallet without a Key Strap.

Now, as others have said, the old o-rings did sometimes block access to the inner pockets a bit. So maybe what I really need is a shorter Key Strap. :chants: Shorter Key Strap! Shorter Key Strap! Shorter Key Strap!

But actually, what would be ideal is if there were o-rings where they were on the old SE--on the top seams instead of the side seams--except on the other side so as not to block the pockets.

I really like the new, discreet label placement. All my above whinings won't stop me from ordering a nice streamlined Ballistic SE to use as a dressier clutch, with a Handle Loop or a 16" Key Strap or even a chain.

Also, I would swear that my new Steel Dyneema/Steel Dyneema SE has 400D on the outside, not 200D (but 200D on the inside)! Am I hallucinating?

TB has just introduced the genius Double Carabiner, which is light weight, tough and stylish in the sense that it blends within the TB bags designs.
    It is perfect to double, triple or more the capacity of every O ring.
    They are really easy to operate.

I also have trouble with the Gatekeeper clips, could you use the Simple Shoulder Strap as a temporary waist strap?

You might be able to thread the upper loop of the Double Carabiner to the fabric tag originally designed for the Gatekeeper Clip and affix a second Simple Shoulder Strap to the lower loop.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-14-2014 at 10:31 AM.
    hiker likes this.

REI has double carabiners of all sizes. They may not be as light weight as the Tom Bihn ones (which I don't see on the site?) but they could be an option as well.
    hiker likes this.

If you go into accessories and look for PARTS, you can find the carabiners and other bits and bots.
    hiker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Leena View Post
    They may not be as light weight as the Tom Bihn ones (which I don't see on the site?)
    I think you'll find them in the "Parts" section under "Accessories" - they're offered as an add-on for the Knitting Tool Pouches (to join several together), but you can buy them separately.
    hiker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I am in love with the Nite Ize S-biners - they come in lots of sizes and colors. The 0 size (1.5 x .5 inch) are SO CUTE!!!! - and so useful. I have them clipped on nearly everything with zipper pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by eightspokedb View Post
    I am in love with the Nite Ize S-biners - they come in lots of sizes and colors. The 0 size (1.5 x .5 inch) are SO CUTE!!!! - and so useful. I have them clipped on nearly everything with zipper pulls.
    Those are what REI carries.

Oh and I found the ones on the parts page, thanks, never even looked there before.

Volunteer Moderator

Comments on the Double Carabiner (with links to some pictures)

@hiker, @Leena, @eightspokedb, and others,

I use the Nite Ize S-biners, especially in the small sizes, but it's worth pointing out some of the features of the Double Carabiner that can make it particularly useful, and direct you to a few pictures that show these.
    • The swivel design between the two carabiner loops means you can attach two different items at more optimal angles or spacings
    • The slightly flattened design of the light-weight plastic loops mean that you can easily slide both pouches attached with metal snaphooks (like organizer pouches or wallets), as well as the knitting toolkit pouches that use o-rings easily along the loops.
    • The locking design of the loops is sturdier than the Nite Ize S-biner design -- I've had problems with trying to use some of the larger S-biners to secure items, only to have the clip unfasten. (Admittedly, this isn't a problem with the small size S-biners with light items, and the S-biners have the nice feature of coming in different colors).

I don't take the greatest pictures, so I'm sure someone else can post better examples, but here are a few illustrations:
    From the Double Carabiner, 4 thumbs up! thread started by @backpack. For @hiker, there are also later comments in that thread about people who use the Double Carabiner to clip the Side Effect to a belt:
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I originally posted about the Double Carrabiner clips in Ms. Ferret's Side Effect + S-Biners as Seat Pocket Bag thread, but didn't post any pictures. Here's a few examples of their use:

The close up shows the way the top and bottom clips can rotate to match the best orientation to the attached points.

There are also some pictures in jmoz's Way to Piggyback a Co-pilot(Pilot) on a Tri-Star thread that shows how you can attach a Co-Pilot to the straps loops of a Western Flyer or Tri-Star if you want to do a Piggyback carry.

However, the Double Carabiner Clips are actually even neater to use, because you can attach both snap hook pouches and Knitting Tool Pouches with O-Rings to slide along the clips. This is because the plastic molded loop of the Double Carabiner clips are both smooth, and slightly flattened, so you can hook the snap rings on and have them slide. Sorry I haven't taken a picture I can post of this, but the comment was in my post in Ms. Ferret's thread.
    From the Packing Cubes for Co-Pilot thread started by @UK-Limey:

This is a view of how you can use the Double Carabiner Clip to secure a Small Western Flyer Packing Cube (all fabric) inside the Co-Pilot, and make it less easy for someone to reach in and remove contents from inside the bag, while still being able to unclip the Double Carabiner fairly easily to get to the 3D Organizer Cube, Side Effect, or Packing Cube. (The thread is actually about which size packing cube best fits the main compartment of the Co-Pilot for clothes, etc.)

From the Clear Organizer Wallets in 420d Parapack? thread started by @Lara, this is a view of multiple wallets on snaphooks strung onto the Double Carabiner loops. What you can't tell directly from the pictures is that the snaphooks slide smoothly along the flattened plastic of the Carabiner loops, which doesn't happen when you use S-biners. You can also easily slide the o-ring secured New Knitting Tool Pouches that were designed along with the Double Carabiner on these clips.

I actually use the Double Carabiner clips in even more settings: including hanging pouches from the rail loops in the Synapse Backpack and the Pilot. (Sorry, I haven't uploaded any pictures of this, but I pass the strap of a handle loop through the rail loops of the bag, and then attach the snap hook to a bag's o-ring at one end. At the other end I use one end of a Double Carabiner to pass through the loop end of the handle loop, and the other end to connect through the o-ring of the bag. I find this works better for me than keystraps, which are awkward to pass through the rail loops.)

You can add a Double Carabiner Clip (or Handle Loop) when you order the Knitting Tool Pouches, but you can also order them separately from the drop down menu under Parts. I went back and ordered 5 of these after I received my first order of Knitting Tool Pouches. Just sayin!

HTH.
    Last edited by moriond; 04-14-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0