Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: The new Side Effect

I really really want one in steel dyneema now, after seeing the video!!!
    Please consider making it in steel dyneema/steel dyneema at some point.

If the Tom Bihn Crew makes one in Steel/Steel Dyneema, I probably won't see much of it after taking it out of the box.

An Aubergine?Steel or Aubergine/UV or Nordic/UV, well it's mine!

Maybe Tom could design a pen slot insert a la Field Journal Notebook for the many of us who transport non disposable pens?
    ncb4 likes this.

Love, Love, love my new side effect. In fact in praise of Tom Bihn customer service... I ordered it even though it was on back order. I ordered a field journal for daughter #2, and thought, "Well both items will ship when the side effect is back in stock. Lickity split I received a shipping confirmation, and both arrived! And I have now hauled it to soccer practices, Girls on the Run races, piano and violin and flute lessons, grocery store and off on vacation next week. Perfect timing as Name:  side effect.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  92.3 KBalways. Thank you!

Dear Lacyfinn, we want to see pictures of the 3 of you with you Tom Bihn Portable Beauties!

I am still very impressed by the picture of your daughter's "Purse with a Purpose", especially after you shared she went swimming right after sketching.

Is she applying to Cool Scientist school?

Thank you backpack... I'll see what I can do.

As lovely as aubergine, UV, and nordic are, I am one that prefers more low-key color options.
    I am looking forward to when my black/steel Side Effect arrives!
    Last edited by Sarah; 05-11-2013 at 11:24 AM.

I have an answer to Autolycus's question, which I've quoted below, but first I'd like to ask a question of my own.

How many O-rings are inside the new Side Effect?

I ask because the description says two, in the middle, but this photo makes it look like there's four -- two in the middle and one on each end. I currently use the original Side Effect and am considering upgrading, and am curious.

Anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    I see a lot of posts about women using the side effect as either a small purse/clutch or as a "purse within a purse" type of organizer, which makes tons of sense, given what types of things most women carry on a daily or at least regular basis. I'm curious though about how men are using the side effect. The new one definitely looks like a decent option for a pouch that can keep essentials together and moderately organized as I change bags based on specific needs, but I want to know if any men have used it that way in the real world and how successful it was. It looks way too small for me to ever carry by itself, so I can only imagine putting it inside a larger bag. I just got back from a trip on which I used a #1 stuff sack for holding my cell phone, wallet and rental car key while I was hiking, kayaking, or doing other things that require empty pockets, like getting through airport security. I wonder if a side effect would serve the same purpose a little better because it would allow a few more items to be segregated from the rest of my backpack.

I also have thoughts in my head of using it similarly to how the Smart Alec top modular pocket is being used: attached to the outside of bags in certain situations. But it's always hard to know how such ideas work in practice.
    I can't speak about the new Side Effect as I don't have one yet, but I've been using the original since I got it months ago, and it's replaced, uh, everything else for me except a backpack. Certainly I don't use pants pockets anymore. See the attached photo.

At the top is my checkbook (in a sleeve it came with), my iPhone 4S (which sits in the left in-sewn pocket), a set of SkullCandy earphones in the shell case they came in and a multitool (both of these sit in the right pocket).

To the left, above is a medium clear organizer pouch with odds-and-ends inside -- band-aids, stamps, an iPad stylus, nail clippers, a USB stick, a comb, and pretty much anything else I've found myself wishing I were carrying around while out and about -- while below is a small clear organizer pouch with all my miscellaneous ID cards I don't need quick access to, plus, you know, those gift cards one tends to accumulate at birthdays from relatives and never get around to spending. I originally had these attached with 8" straps but it was just making a tangle, and I don't pull them out often enough to need the extra reach.

To the right, above, is a clear organizer wallet with stuff I do need quick access to, including my transit pass at the front, on an 8" key strap. In the middle are my keys on a 16" strap (this is the only problem with this setup -- I should have ordered a colored 16" strap so it wouldn't get lost; I'll be grabbing one in cayenne next time I order something else). Below is another small clear organizer pouch for carrying change, again connected with a 4" strap.

Sometimes I put a passport in the passport pocket in back (today, for example, 'cause it was election day), but usually it stays empty.

I wear the whole thing as a waist pouch when I'm out and about. It's nice -- no more wallet or phone digging into my thighs through my pockets. Also makes leaving for work a snap, since everything stays inside except the phone. It is pretty full, though. I don't think I could fit anything more in there. I assume the new Side Effect could do the same thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Stephenls; 05-15-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Whoops! 8" straps, not 4". No such thing as 4" straps.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenls View Post
    How many O-rings are inside the new Side Effect?

I ask because the description says two, in the middle, but this photo makes it look like there's four -- two in the middle and one on each end. I currently use the original Side Effect and am considering upgrading, and am curious.
    Thanks for spotting that: the photo is correct, the description is not. There's actually four O-rings inside the main compartment of the Side Effect: two set dead center like the description notes, and two lower in the bag in the middle of the side panels. At about 0:53 seconds into our Side Effect video, you can see Scott clip a Clear Organizer Pouch (Mini) to one of those side panel O-rings.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Does anyone know what music was used in the new Side Effect video? I thought I saw an answer somewhere else but can't find it now.

My new Side Effect should arrive very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by potemkin64 View Post
    Does anyone know what music was used in the new Side Effect video? I thought I saw an answer somewhere else but can't find it now.

Not sure but I think I may have a defective a Side Effect. I've tried opening and closing it multiple times but I never hear the music. :-)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) ScottS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by potemkin64 View Post

The music is by Serge Essiambre. The song is called "Only Human". Glad you enjoy it! SergeEssiambre.com
    eWalker likes this.
    Scott Schweiger
    TOM BIHN Shipping Department
    Original Designs Made in USA Since 1972
    www.tombihn.com

U.S. 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: 206-652-4123
    4750A Ohio Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98134 USA
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Thank you Scott!

Will any new color combinations be offered soon?
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

Fingers crossed the side effect will be offered soon in Dyneema Steel/UV or Nordic/Wasabi
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

Or Nordic/UV

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0