Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: The new Side Effect

I would like to see Aubergine/Steel
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Looks like its been pretty popular!

I see a lot of posts about women using the side effect as either a small purse/clutch or as a "purse within a purse" type of organizer, which makes tons of sense, given what types of things most women carry on a daily or at least regular basis. I'm curious though about how men are using the side effect. The new one definitely looks like a decent option for a pouch that can keep essentials together and moderately organized as I change bags based on specific needs, but I want to know if any men have used it that way in the real world and how successful it was. It looks way too small for me to ever carry by itself, so I can only imagine putting it inside a larger bag. I just got back from a trip on which I used a #1 stuff sack for holding my cell phone, wallet and rental car key while I was hiking, kayaking, or doing other things that require empty pockets, like getting through airport security. I wonder if a side effect would serve the same purpose a little better because it would allow a few more items to be segregated from the rest of my backpack.

I also have thoughts in my head of using it similarly to how the Smart Alec top modular pocket is being used: attached to the outside of bags in certain situations. But it's always hard to know how such ideas work in practice.

EDIT TO ADD: I also meant to say that I was looking at the Dyneema/nylon 3d cube as a slightly larger, zippered option instead of the stuff sack, and started eyeing the Side Effect as another, more organized, possibility.

As always, thanks to everyone for their thoughts on these bags and on packing and traveling in general.
    Last edited by autolycus; 04-22-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    eWalker likes this.

I plan to use one of them in my Smart Alec side pocket to replace a Maxpedition mini-organizer (holding multi-tool, flashlight, spork, Sugru, paracord, spare batteries, lighter, etc). In the past, I have used (older model) often on vacation to carry phone, camera, room key, etc. to the beach/pool.
    --------------------------------

Blargh, I've missed the first run of almost all of the new Side Effects! Will there be more color combinations offered in the second run?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Blargh, I've missed the first run of almost all of the new Side Effects! Will there be more color combinations offered in the second run?
    Yes! Two new color combinations are already up for pre-order: Black/Steel and Black/Iberian.
    eWalker likes this.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I'm a guy and plan to use this only on vacation/travel (although I travel a lot). I view it as similar to a camera bag or fanny pack. When traveling I often have a few items I want to take with me that are too bulky for my pockets: slim camera, sunscreen, sunglasses, guide book, or paperback or Kindle. Keep in mind I always carry a wallet and cell phone in my right and left pockets, respectively, and keys when at home too. Also I carry change loose in my right pocket.

It's not something I'd carry to/from work or around town normally, but when out for a full day it's nice to have something that's smaller than a full-size backpack or messenger bag.

I will say I want to try carrying it vertically over the shoulder, i.e. clip the ends of the shoulder strap to the same o-ring on one side. Hopefully it will look more like a camera bag than a purse.

The flexibility is pretty key. Use it with the handle loop if you want, or over the shoulder (vertically or horizontally) if walking around. And since I travel witha Tristar i can take the waist belt from that and put it on the side effect if I want to go fanny pack. I think I'd only do that if hiking, i.e. in places where other people won't see me!

When I think about the Tristar and how great of a "system" it is it's pretty amazing. The Tristar can be combined with a packing cube backpack, packing cube shoulder bag, brain cell, and/or side effect. There's almost infinite combinations of bags you could take with you given those, and they all serve multiple roles as well.

In total that gives you:

1) A large backpack and/or briefcase and/or shoulder bag (the Tristar itself).
    2) A lightweight smaller backpack for say going to the beach or gym or around town.
    3) A lightweight messenger bag for urban commuting.
    4) A fanny pack or camera bag for travel walking.
    5) A small briefcase (brain cell) you can transfer the absolute shoulder strap to.
    Last edited by drbobguy; 04-22-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Yes! Two new color combinations are already up for pre-order: Black/Steel and Black/Iberian.
    Will there be any other color combos?

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Will there be any other color combos?
    Not this time...
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post

Um ditto!!!!

Boy they went fast...well I still want EVERY color combo but put in a second run order for a black one and an aubergine / wasabi (the most perfect color combo!) one ... with of course a few other items.... like a potato chip, you can't just have (order) one!

sue

The new Side Effect - in dyneema

Lots of stuff arrived today but I am most in love with the steel/wasabi dyneema Side Effect. What gets me in the office on a beautiful spring Friday? Only knowing I have a Bihn box delivery.

Name:  Steel_Wasabi Side Effect.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  159.8 KB
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    Lots of stuff arrived today but I am most in love with the steel/wasabi dyneema Side Effect. What gets me in the office on a beautiful spring Friday? Only knowing I have a Bihn box delivery.

Name:  Steel_Wasabi Side Effect.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  159.8 KB
    Great! I was set on the Aubergine/Wasabi and then I see this color combination.
    RhoFro likes this.
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

I received a box full of Dyneema goodness too, but don't have time to take a pic. The two Side Effects, one wasabi and one steel, are definite standouts.
    --------------------------------

One of the first videos we made in-house! Starring Lulu from our Q&A department, Scott (Shipping Lead and Video Editor), and the Side Effect. Shot on location in our Seattle factory.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Great video - cant wait till I put in my next order coz a side effect will be in it!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0