Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By knifed
  • 3 Post By Miking

Thread: Synapse Mod, Attachment Point

Synapse Mod, Attachment Point

I wanted a quick way to attach a carabiner to my Synapse and found this little item in a boating store. Not sure what it's called, but it worked perfectly. Since one side is flat, it ensures that it doesn't rotate around and stays put. Also, it's easily reversible so doesn't require you to do anything except for tightening a single screw. Hope someone else finds this useful.

Name:  DSCF0437.JPG
Views: 884
Size:  123.2 KB

Name:  DSCF0433.JPG
Views: 894
Size:  123.8 KB

Name:  DSCF0434.JPG
Views: 877
Size:  111.9 KB

Name:  DSCF0435.JPG
Views: 888
Size:  92.1 KB

Name:  DSCF0436.JPG
Views: 892
Size:  137.9 KB

That would be a "forged 'D' shackle with pin". They are also available with a wider pin opening if you didn't want it to pinch your webbing. Fun fact: that shackle is likely rated for a working load of over 1500 lbs with a breaking strength of over 3000 lbs. Just check with the shop that sold it to you and ask for a product information sheet before you try anywhere near that.

Cool. Thanks Miking.

Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    That would be a "forged 'D' shackle with pin". They are also available with a wider pin opening if you didn't want it to pinch your webbing. Fun fact: that shackle is likely rated for a working load of over 1500 lbs with a breaking strength of over 3000 lbs. Just check with the shop that sold it to you and ask for a product information sheet before you try anywhere near that.
    It's amazing that info like this is available on these forums. Very cool.
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

Though not as heavy duty as the above, Grimlock carabiners may be just what you're looking for. These are surprisingly strong and very light and quiet.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag
    - - - - Various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

dnarud13, now those grimlocks are awesome!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Just curious, what would you attach to the carabiner on the front? I'm having trouble thinking of possible uses for this.

Quote Originally Posted by rlandis View Post
    It's amazing that info like this is available on these forums. Very cool.
    That's me! Purveyor of trivial trivia and outlandish ideas! I think I may have went a bit overboard on mine.....
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  690.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by henryjin View Post
    Just curious, what would you attach to the carabiner on the front? I'm having trouble thinking of possible uses for this.
    Right off the top of my head I can think of handheld GPS units while hiking; flash lights, whistles; small digital cameras, etc.