Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: Introducing the: Synapse 25, Guardian Strap-Mount Light, Glowire, and a new video

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Darcy, I like the loops!

I have been hanging the 3D cube made in dyneema to the O-Rings in the main compartment of my Synapse, using split key rings. I can take a photo of my set up this weekend.

When I saw the loops on the Synapse 25, I said to myself - if there are loops on the 3D cube, I can hang it on those loops inside the main compartment, using the single gatekeeper clips - it will be more stable compared to my current set up.

Why would I hang the 3D cube? It makes efficient use of the top space in my Synapse. Most of the time, that space is wasted for me as most of the stuff I carry sink to the bottom of the bag. Also, hanging the cube means I get to it easily. P.S. I also tried hanging a second 3D cube using the 2 short key straps attached to the O-rings on side of the cube and to the split rings. Did not work well - better to just tether.

So maybe a line of accessory pouches, in addition to the caches (is that a word?) that attaches to those loops with a single gatekeeper (removable) would have a market. I will buy them myself.
    I wholeheartedly second this idea!!!! With loops at the top AND bottom of all the 3D cubes just for the fact that they could also be chained together with gatekeeper clips to make the ULTIMATE modular toiletries/odds and ends kit with the top cube hanging!!! It would be really unobtrusive and I think the added functionality would far outweigh the minimal increase in cost and labour!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I was looking at this picture and wondering if it works in reality. At security, wouldn't two out of three (bag, iPad, Mac) end up sitting on top of each other? Or am I missing something?Name:  TB0111_04b.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  55.4 KB

ceb
    As far as TSA is concerned - under most circumstances - the iPad can stay in the bag while the laptop has to come out, so the laptop cache can be pulled out while the iPad cache remains in place.

However - the problem with most backpacks is "clutter" that puts a jumbled mess of wires (laptop charger, phone charger, iPad charger) all over the bag and over the iPad, generally requiring the removal of the iPad and a rescan.

I pack all my wires either in GoTubbs (the iPhone "dice" charger in the center with the cord around the outside) or in packing tubes that go on either side of the cache so no wires are on top of any electronics when the bag is scanned. Right now I have three of the hockey puck sized GoTubbs in my bag, each with one of those tiny chargers with a USB charging cord wrapped around them.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

thanks tCook for taking this picture. And your thoughts.
    tCook likes this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP, SC, BB, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, SE2, MCB, RiPad

Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    However - the problem with most backpacks is "clutter" that puts a jumbled mess of wires (laptop charger, phone charger, iPad charger) all over the bag and over the iPad, generally requiring the removal of the iPad and a rescan.

I pack all my wires either in GoTubbs (the iPhone "dice" charger in the center with the cord around the outside) or in packing tubes that go on either side of the cache so no wires are on top of any electronics when the bag is scanned. Right now I have three of the hockey puck sized GoTubbs in my bag, each with one of those tiny chargers with a USB charging cord wrapped around them.
    I found that the bottom front pocket of the Synapse 25 is a really ideal place to store the Snake Charmer. I think that would keep any cables from obscuring the TSA's view of a tablet stored there.

I don't know if I commented on this before, but I really do love the implementation of the loops and cache with rails. I hope that system eventually makes it into all of the backpacks and laptop-friendly travel bags. I'm generally pretty gentle with my bags, so I rarely feel I need something as protective (and therefore bulky) as the Brain Cells. The cache is a good compromise, and a cache system that has the laptop suspended even slightly off the bottom of the bag and that is checkpoint friendly is perfect for my needs.

I'm definitely going to have a hard time deciding which larger bag to go with--Synapse 25, Smart Alec, and WF. Darcy, has the master designer decided whether the loops will be added to the next run of the Smart Alec? If so, how far out into the future might that run be?

And if anyone out there with a Smart Alec, Western Flyer, and/or Synapse 25 (Pocketz, I'm looking at you for that one! is bored and wants to take a photo or even just comment for me . . . I'd really appreciate some perspective on whether each bag can hold a 13" laptop (in cache, brain cell, or nekkid, whichever you can manage) and about 2-3 reams-worth of letter-size paper. Can they hold that much, and if so, is there any space left for accessories or a compressed rain shell?

Thanks!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    As far as TSA is concerned - under most circumstances - the iPad can stay in the bag while the laptop has to come out, so the laptop cache can be pulled out while the iPad cache remains in place.

In the last year, European airports (incl. UK) now want, laptops, iPads and even Kindles exhibited and this tendency seems to be creeping in to the US recently according to some on this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    So maybe a line of accessory pouches, in addition to the caches (is that a word?) that attaches to those loops with a single gatekeeper (removable) would have a market. I will buy them myself.
    That might just already be in the works... can't say any more right now, though!
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    I wholeheartedly second this idea!!!! With loops at the top AND bottom of all the 3D cubes just for the fact that they could also be chained together with gatekeeper clips to make the ULTIMATE modular toiletries/odds and ends kit with the top cube hanging!!! It would be really unobtrusive and I think the added functionality would far outweigh the minimal increase in cost and labour!
    This is a great idea! I hope Darcy and company see this. The only issue would be that cubes hanging by loops would be hard to access since they zip from the top. A side-zip cube would fix this problem.

A great idea all around, you could have 1, 2, or 3 cubes that hook together with gatekeepers, allowing you to mix and match colors (or clear) and materials.

Quote Originally Posted by drbobguy View Post
    This is a great idea! I hope Darcy and company see this. The only issue would be that cubes hanging by loops would be hard to access since they zip from the top. A side-zip cube would fix this problem.

A great idea all around, you could have 1, 2, or 3 cubes that hook together with gatekeepers, allowing you to mix and match colors (or clear) and materials.
    You could always have a couple gate keeper straps on a short bit of webbing or made the loops a bit longer and if you put the loops on the back seam I think you could easily get into the cube.

Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    I wholeheartedly second this idea!!!! With loops at the top AND bottom of all the 3D cubes just for the fact that they could also be chained together with gatekeeper clips to make the ULTIMATE modular toiletries/odds and ends kit with the top cube hanging!!! .....
    noooooo... (oh well, ok as long as it's a separate product line) ... my scissor fingers get itchy every time I see that little hook inside my several 3D cubes .... this would actually drive me to disfiguring my TB stuff....

(0516, awake and grumpy)
    List under construction ....

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    I was looking at this picture and wondering if it works in reality. At security, wouldn't two out of three (bag, iPad, Mac) end up sitting on top of each other? Or am I missing something?
    From the Synapse 25 page:
    And remember, there are four loops of webbing in the top of the main compartment of the Synapse 25: one pair is on the back side, and one pair is on the front side. That means you can choose to have your laptop against your back or against the front of the bag, whichever seems most comfortable or most convenient. Using all four loops, you could even carry two laptops (or one laptop and one iPad) in the Synapse 25. Note that the "checkpoint-friendly" functionality will only work for one of two laptops — you'll need to remove the second laptop at the airport security checkpoint; TSA does not technically consider an iPad or similar tablet a "laptop," but you never know if they'll ask you to remove device #2 anyway.

ceb
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    In the last year, European airports (incl. UK) now want, laptops, iPads and even Kindles exhibited and this tendency seems to be creeping in to the US recently according to some on this.
    Right. Which is why I prefaced my comment with "as far as the TSA is concerned" and "under most circumstances."

Security screening is a moving target and even those of us who deal with this on a daily basis understand that local conditions, threats or testing may change the requirements at a moment's notice. Europe's reasoning has always been because of clutter.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
    Thanks Darcy! (I don't know if anyone else picked up on this- but the "pencils" in the photos of the new Synapse are really travel chopsticks, aren't they?
    Yeah! Awesome Snowpeak chopsticks with wooden tips made from recycled baseball bats...
    tCook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    Will steel be the only Dyneema color available?
    Any comment here?
    --------------------------------

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0