Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: Introducing the: Synapse 25, Guardian Strap-Mount Light, Glowire, and a new video

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TOBaggirl View Post
    Will the updated version of the Synapse 19 cost more than the current version of the Synapse?
    Yes, it will.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    Hmmm, I was waivering on the SA, until I saw it in Nordic with the UV interior, and updated design. I then decided I wanted one.

I still prefer the layout and sleekness of my plum and UV Synapses and think the new Synapse 25 would make me just as happy, and fulfill my large backpack needs. My dilemma is that I keep reading it is optimized for people over 5' 6" and I'm maybe 5' 2.5". Darcy, which should feel most comfortable to a shortish small framed person? I chose (and am very happy with) the WF for its smallness. The TS felt too large. I'm short waisted too if that matters at all.

Off to study the dimensions of both bags in comparrison to each other.

And will Nordic wasabi, or Nordic UV be a future consideration, or is steel Dyneema wasabi as good as its going to get?

I love the new design, and the video btw.
    @dorayme I can tell you that redesigned Smart Alec should probably feel comfortable to you, and closer to the feel of carrying the Western Flyer than the Tri-Star, from the perspective of someone who is 5' 3.5", and has all three bags. The redesigned Smart Alec is also more comfortable than the original Smart Alec is for someone of my height, by the way, in case other forum members are curious. I think it's partly that the use of the breathable mesh backing that the Synapse uses in place of the straight back pad, but it's also the fact that the articulated design of the back plus the strap placements make it easier to accommodate a wider range of builds of any size or type more comfortably. I also like the idea of the upper modular pocket, for easy access, and better balance. The final push that prompted an order was the Aubergine/Wasabi color combination.

I'd be curious to hear an answer, too, to your question regarding the Synapse 25 vs. the Synapse 19 on shorter people. I like the Synapse organization. It's more flexible than you would think from the description, because the different sections of the bag adjust depending on which sections you are packing full. But the Smart Alec probably works better if you want to use it heavily for overnight travel packing of clothes, shoes, and bulky items, if you're not a smaller person, and want the flexibility of tossing everything in with maximum use of space without compartments. I do think that having contrasting interior colors of Dyneema is more important in this setting. With the Western Flyer, Aeronaut, and with the two outer sections of the Tri-Star, the compartments open up, so having the steel Dyneema works fine. You get some contrast for finding things against the grid pattern, and you may likely be using packing cubes and pouches to organize things anyway. However, even with the central compartment of the Tri-Star, which does not zip down all the way, and which is of limited size, I find having the lighter solar Dyneema an advantage. In the larger vertical bags like the Smart Alec, having a dark color in the interior doesn't matter if I'm only going to be carrying large, blocky items like laptops and textbooks. But if I carry other smaller items inside that I haven't placed into packing cubes or other organizers, I really, really want a contrasting color in the interior to help me locate them easily. This is also true for the Synapse 25, although the sides zip down half way. It is absolutely true for the Smart Alec. That's why I want the interior colors to be available in Iberian, Wasabi, and Ultraviolet in addition to Steel. (And if they ever decide to bring back Solar, I'd like that color option as well.)

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-04-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Corrected "Smart Alec 25" to read "Synapse 25"

I think I know that answer to this question; but I wanted to confirm.
    Is there a way to add the Cache Rails system to an old Cache? I'd think probably not, but I thought I'd ask.

~Tik

Quote Originally Posted by ElenTikvah View Post
    I think I know that answer to this question; but I wanted to confirm.
    Is there a way to add the Cache Rails system to an old Cache? I'd think probably not, but I thought I'd ask.
    No, sorry! There's not really an elegant way to do this...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    Hmmm, I was waivering on the SA, until I saw it in Nordic with the UV interior, and updated design. I then decided I wanted one.

I still prefer the layout and sleekness of my plum and UV Synapses and think the new Synapse 25 would make me just as happy, and fulfill my large backpack needs. My dilemma is that I keep reading it is optimized for people over 5' 6" and I'm maybe 5' 2.5". Darcy, which should feel most comfortable to a shortish small framed person? I chose (and am very happy with) the WF for its smallness. The TS felt too large. I'm short waisted too if that matters at all.

Off to study the dimensions of both bags in comparrison to each other.

And will Nordic wasabi, or Nordic UV be a future consideration, or is steel Dyneema wasabi as good as its going to get?

I love the new design, and the video btw.
    Tough one, dorayme. I'd say the Smart Alec might be a better fit for you because it's 18.5" long while the Synapse 25 is 20" long. Is ordering both the 25 and the SA and sending one back an option? If not, I'd say go with the SA.

We are definitely going to consider Nordic for the next batch.
    dorayme likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BJ Nemeth View Post
    But I may pick up a Synapse 19 this summer (hopefully in person at the Tom Bihn factory in Seattle) for my smaller backpack needs (day hikes and things like that).
    Cool! Let us know when you're in Seattle -- we'd love to give you a factory tour.

Fancy Panda-if it helps I'm also 6'1" and weight about 220. As much as I love my Synapse 19, it is a tad too small, in my opinion, for folks our size. My wife, who I think wants my synapse, always says it looks like I have a kids backpack on when I wear my synapse. I've already put in my preorder for the 25 and can't wait to get it.
    Synapse 25 (steel dyneema/wasabi), Synapse 19 (conifer/steel), Empire Builder (black/steel), Ristretto for Ipad 2 (olive/cayenne), Brain Bag (black), Zephyr (black/red), Aeronaut (steel/steel), guardian dual function light, RFID blocking passport pouch, packing cubes (various sizes), horizontal freudian slip, The Kit (forest green), ultra suede screen cloth, Tom Bihn Luggage tags (x3), and who knows what is next.........

Video demonstrating the Cache with Rails system, courtesy of Loaded Pocketz.

I think I said simple three times in that video. Well, you guys get the idea. ;-)

Here is a pic of the rails on the back of the Cache, which I neglected to show in the video...

Last edited by Pocketz; 04-04-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Putting the rails on the Cache rather than on the bag (a la Cadet) is a much more elegant solution. I hope this design works its way through future iterations of TB's product range.
    autolycus and Rory like this.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Darcy, I like the loops!

I have been hanging the 3D cube made in dyneema to the O-Rings in the main compartment of my Synapse, using split key rings. I can take a photo of my set up this weekend.

When I saw the loops on the Synapse 25, I said to myself - if there are loops on the 3D cube, I can hang it on those loops inside the main compartment, using the single gatekeeper clips - it will be more stable compared to my current set up.

Why would I hang the 3D cube? It makes efficient use of the top space in my Synapse. Most of the time, that space is wasted for me as most of the stuff I carry sink to the bottom of the bag. Also, hanging the cube means I get to it easily. P.S. I also tried hanging a second 3D cube using the 2 short key straps attached to the O-rings on side of the cube and to the split rings. Did not work well - better to just tether.

So maybe a line of accessory pouches, in addition to the caches (is that a word?) that attaches to those loops with a single gatekeeper (removable) would have a market. I will buy them myself.

Thanks Darcy! (I don't know if anyone else picked up on this- but the "pencils" in the photos of the new Synapse are really travel chopsticks, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
    Thanks Darcy! (I don't know if anyone else picked up on this- but the "pencils" in the photos of the new Synapse are really travel chopsticks, aren't they?
    I saw that! (I gave up on those ones & just bring regular bamboo chopsticks with me, since they are more difficult to break.)
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

I'm 5'3" and average torso length (as far as I can tell). I own the smaller Synapse and Smart Alec (and others, but this isn't about them!), and got to visit the store and play with the Synapse 25 yesterday. Attaching a picture for a visual. I felt like the Synapse 25 and Smart Alec were comparable in height, but obviously have a different shape and organization. I tried on the Synapse 25 and felt like it fit me fine - I could feel it at the base of my neck and the top of my hips, but would definitely still call it a viable bag for me. Consider that I also wear a full Brain Bag on occasion, so the bigger bags do work for some of us shorter folks!

I love the new features like the loops for the cache with rails - if I carried my 13" MacBook Pro regularly, I would be very tempted to get the Synapse 25.

Name:  bagcomparison.JPG
Views: 926
Size:  39.5 KB

Thanks for the photo tCook.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Piper View Post
    Fancy Panda-if it helps I'm also 6'1" and weight about 220. As much as I love my Synapse 19, it is a tad too small, in my opinion, for folks our size. My wife, who I think wants my synapse, always says it looks like I have a kids backpack on when I wear my synapse. I've already put in my preorder for the 25 and can't wait to get it.
    Thanks. I feared that this would be the case, that the 19 is a bit out of place on people of our height. I decided to go with the 25 anyhow since it would be a risk purchase if I got the 19 and it didn't suit me.

Now I just need to decide on a colour combination Navy/Iberian looks great but the Steel seems attractive too!
    Last edited by fancypanda; 04-04-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0