Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By lotuseater
  • 2 Post By lotuseater
  • 1 Post By dorayme

Thread: Large & Medium Cafe bags in dyneema

Large & Medium Cafe bags in dyneema

They are available and ready to ship. I saw it on TB's twitter feed on Friday. Just made an order for one of each.

Ugh, I missed a MCB in steel/cayenne AGAIN! Hmm, maybe I'll have to make do with a steel dyneema MCB instead. Darcy, what's the weight of these? I see the cordura ones at 14oz, but no mention as of yet as to how much weight is saved in the dyneema variants. Thanks in advance.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

I wish the Nordic came with a different color interior. I like UV, but just not with the blue. Maybe it is just me, but I think it clashes. *sigh* I'll just keep waiting and watching.

Quote Originally Posted by darbs View Post
    I wish the Nordic came with a different color interior. I like UV, but just not with the blue. Maybe it is just me, but I think it clashes. *sigh* I'll just keep waiting and watching.
    It's not just you, darbs. Of the dyneema combinations I've seen offered so far, my preference is (1) nordic/steel, (2) steel/wasabi, (3) steel/steel. Nordic/UV does nothing for me.

The nordic/uv is not for me also. I returned a SCB in this color combination. That color combination and the stiff strap were the reasons for returning. I like the soft strap on my cocoa/wasabi LCB and linen/olive SCB.

I have been waiting for the LCB to be made in dyneema. I have the LCB steel dyneema/steel on my wish list. I am wishing that it be offered in steel dyneema/wasabi. My dream is nordic dyneema/iberian or steel dyneema/iberian combination.

I am not in a rush - waiting for the new Side Effect to place the order. Meantime, my wish list keeps growing. Yay for Bihnitis!

I dunno. I have the SCB in Nordic/UV and I like it.

I think Nordic / Wasabi is a great combination!
    Lime likes this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I would buy Nordic/Wasabi before I bought Nordic/UV. We have one LCB and the BF hijacks it every trip we take. We went to Chicago back in September and I haven't seen the thing since. I guess he's decided it is permanently his! I'd love to get myself another LCB so we aren't fighting over this one, but would love a dyneema one. I'm thinking I'll end up with a Nordic Copilot instead though just because I don't really like the UV. Plus, I try to get colors that the BF and I would both carry and there is no way he'll tote around something that is purple...even if it is on the inside.

I still mourn the passing of solar, but I'd agree that wasabi as an interior is more unisex than UV. I would be interested to see a photo of nordic and iberian juxtaposed, to see if that combination works. When navy was introduced as an exterior option for the Aeronaut, Darcy set up a poll on solar or iberian interior. My initial reaction was solar all the way, but when I saw a photo of navy/iberian I reversed my position. The question is, would iberian overwhelm nordic's lighter shade of blue?

I too mourn the passing of Solar. A Nordic/Solar bag would have been a thing of beauty, I think... Nordic/Wasabi would be my current preference (not necessarily for a cafe bag but I could see a synapse or 'Neuron' in my future in that combo) but I'm not sure I've actually seen that combination offered - anyone able to confirm a sighting?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lotuseater View Post
    Darcy, what's the weight of these? I see the cordura ones at 14oz, but no mention as of yet as to how much weight is saved in the dyneema variants. Thanks in advance.
    Updated weights --

Medium Cordura: 405 g = 14.3 oz
    Medium Dyneema/nylon: 326 g = 11.5 oz
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

. . . I would be interested to see a photo of nordic and iberian juxtaposed, to see if that combination works. . .
    I have been "noisy" on the forum about this, so I am happy to take a photo. May not be till weekend, however - work is rather intense

That's a mighty nice weight saving, Darcy. Any comments on the availability of different dyneema combinations in future production runs?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    That's a mighty nice weight saving, Darcy. Any comments on the availability of different dyneema combinations in future production runs?
    No comment! I've been sworn to secrecy! It will be a while before there are any new colors, though.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by darbs View Post

Plus, I try to get colors that the BF and I would both carry and there is no way he'll tote around something that is purple...even if it is on the inside.
    That's what I thought when I got "my" plum ristretto - major fail. At least his WF is cardinal which leaves me the possibility of aubergine one day.

I like my bags to have a bit of 'self structure' so have tended to avoid dyneema as an external material but I assume the these CBs use the heavier weight dyneema yes?

I've just had a quick look at SCB page and there seems to be no mention of which dyneema is used externally (although there is a mention of the 200 for lining...).

I have a nordic shop bag on order so then I'll have sampled all the colors..
    List under construction ....

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0