Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Looking for a field journal

Looking for a field journal

Hi,

I don't know if this is appropriate, but I hope so. I'm looking for a field journal, preferably in plum, but try me on other colors. They are only available for backorder at the moment and march seems so far away. So I thought I would give it a shot. :-)

March is next month and it is more likely than not than the factory crew will deliver earlier than stated.

They are awesome! I receive an order with items availability planned by mid-January in mid-December.

If you have a deadline, such as a field research trip, you might want to contact the store to see if they have any left from the previous batch.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    March is next month and it is more likely than not than the factory crew will deliver earlier than stated.
    Ha! That's what my husband said. But time goes slowly when you're wanting to try something new. ;-) I don't have a deadline, but I have literally been looking at the Field Journal for years, but was always held back by the large rings (I'm left handed) and the shipping costs (I live in Europe). I've been a loyal Filofax user for years, but since a few months I'm also using the ARC by Staples discbound notebook as a planner. I used my Filofax as a wallet too, and that's impossible with the ARC. It just lacks pockets. So I figured I could cut the plastic ARC cover to fit the field journal and have everything I could ever need with me at all times. I will use my Swift as a purse and the field journal for my planner, lists, addresses, pens, stickers and sticky notes, etc. and clip my clear organizer wallet to the o-ring in the front pocket for my most used cards. Perfect, no?
    Janine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mare23 View Post
    Ha! That's what my husband said. But time goes slowly when you're wanting to try something new. ;-) I don't have a deadline, but I have literally been looking at the Field Journal for years, but was always held back by the large rings (I'm left handed) and the shipping costs (I live in Europe). I've been a loyal Filofax user for years, but since a few months I'm also using the ARC by Staples discbound notebook as a planner. I used my Filofax as a wallet too, and that's impossible with the ARC. It just lacks pockets. So I figured I could cut the plastic ARC cover to fit the field journal and have everything I could ever need with me at all times. I will use my Swift as a purse and the field journal for my planner, lists, addresses, pens, stickers and sticky notes, etc. and clip my clear organizer wallet to the o-ring in the front pocket for my most used cards. Perfect, no?
    Perfect, yes!

In Europe where?

And as I said, please email the factory/store to see if they can send you any they have left.

I would not be surprised if they were in stock by this week, the Factory Crew is that good!

I completely understand how you feel, after being unhappy with other ring bound planner brands weight and paper size, not getting into discbound, sewn or wire notebook, Tom invented the Field Journal Notebook and it's heavenly!

How big is the Arc cover, you might not need to cut it, there is a pocket under the pen slots and you could slip the cover in there.

Perfect, yes!
    I would not be surprised if they were in stock by this week, the Factory Crew is that good!
    this is worth mentioning just one more time! i ordered a steel/uv aeronaut recently and it showed backordered til mid-march, yet it's delivering (even after a full week of transit) TODAY!

Thanks for your replies.

I'm in the Netherlands. Shipping costs are quite high, 43 dollar, so I need to think it through before I order. I'm also ordering a few yarn stuff sacks, key straps and pouches.
    The ARC cover is 217 x 160 mm/ 8.5 inch x 6.7 inch, the ARC paper (which I love, because it's fountain pen friendly) is 210 x 148 mm/ 8.3 x 5.8 inch. Ideally I'd cut the ARC plastic cover to fit the slots, so I can use the left side pocket for loose papers. I noticed Tom sells a plastic leaf to fit the FJN and I will get one of those too, to try and punch it with my ARC hole punch. I do not know if the regular paper will fit though. The Day-Timer Desk paper is a little smaller than standard A5 I think? Do you think it would fit?

The FJN Plastic Leaf is very tough, even if you can punch a strong hard plastic folder with your Arc punch you won't be able to punch it.

It is worth ordering it anyhow, because you can wrap the edge in package or even purple duck tape or decorative tape or other scrapbooking material and Arc punch that.

I am also a fountain pen user, paper quality is very important to me.

Tom Bihn Inc sells the Neenah Conservation Paper in Grid or a light grey College Ruled.
    A 100% recycled, smooth, vellum paper that we offer in light grey Grid, printed on both sides. It's compatible with many fountain pens. 100 shrink-wrapped sheets.

Which is what I use because I have only used recycled or sustainable paper since the mid 90's.

An review with pictures of Neenah papers on Fountain Pen Network, concluded: "Of the four white-whites, the Recycled 100 Bright White Smooth seemed to perform the best", there is the link below so you can see for yourself.

Neenah Classic Crest Papers - The Fountain Pen Network

What fits inside the FJN?

This is what Tom Bihn Inc website says:

Just when it seems we've thought of everything, there's more: the 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" paper size is "Size 4" from Day Runner and the "Desk" size by Day-Timer, so you can use all the organization tools from those systems with the TOM BIHN Field Journal Notebook.

My personal experience is that it fits Avery accessories like Write-On Dividers AveryŽ Mini Durable Write-On Plastic Dividers 16180, 5-1/2" x 8-1/2", 5-Tab Set 16180 | Avery

I don't know if they are available in Europe.

Is that the Arc you use?
    M by Staples

At 5-5/6" x 8-1/2", the Arc Tab Dividers, are very close to the size of the Avery dividers which fit in the FJN.
    M by Staples

We have Arc in the U.S, however, I am not a notepad person or disk bound fan and don't have a Staples nearby.

I know that other forum members are fountain pens and paper enthusiasts thus might have tried to pair the Arc with the FJN already.

I personally got the idea for the tab divider from Moose, whose Plum FJN is on the FJN set on Tom Bihn Inc flikr page Field Journal Notebook - a set on Flickr

Darcy and Mods, I hope it is ok to link so many outside links but being a writing instruments, great paper enthusiast and FJN (and Apple) fan girl, I admit; I felt the need to help Mare 23 get exited about personalizing her FJN.

Quote Originally Posted by Mare23 View Post
    Hi,

I don't know if this is appropriate, but I hope so. I'm looking for a field journal, preferably in plum, but try me on other colors. They are only available for backorder at the moment and march seems so far away. So I thought I would give it a shot. :-)
    Yes! They got me my backordered Aeronaut way ahead of time. If plum is the color you want, it is worth the wait.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    The FJN Plastic Leaf is very tough, even if you can punch a strong hard plastic folder with your Arc punch you won't be able to punch it.
    You could mark it and drill it with an electric drill, of course. Not as extreme as it sounds.

I love all the ideas!

Here in Europe we don't use the 3 ring binder, but I could replace it with a standard A5 ring mechanism. I already have a plastic leaf with a ring mechanism attached to it, to accomodate Filofax A5. But the Filofax paper quality is bad and not suitable for fountain pens at all. It was my unexpected fountain pen love, which caused me to look away from Filofax in the first place. I do love the Dodo-pad planner, which is punched for A5. I want to use that as my planner/calendar and punch it for the ARC. ARC has grid, lined and to-do paper, plastic dividers and plastic pockets. Together I think I have all I need along with the FJN pen pockets and my hemp clear organizer wallet. Staples delivers for free here, so in the end it will be much cheaper than buying Filofax refills.

I don't know if there is a difference between the ARC paper size in America and Europe. My measuring tape is in cm only and if I compare the dimensions, they do differ. I have sent an e-mail to Tom Bihn customer service to ask if they think standard A5 will fit with space for tabs.

I got a reply from CS and they were so nice to measure the FJN for me and think it would fit, but it would be a tight fit. I want the plum one so bad, but if I can't really use it, it would be a little weird. ;-)

Would someone be willing to measure if they think this notebook would fit with a little room left to turn the pages? The total width of the notebook including the discs would be 160 mm /6.29 inch and the height is 210mm /8.26 inch?
    Last edited by Mare23; 02-14-2013 at 03:21 PM.

I am a bit confused, do you want to use the ring and the Arc mechanism together?

Or do you just want to remove the ring mechanism and place the Arc inside the FJN?

180 width x 240 height mm, I have a millimeter and inches tape measure.

It will defintely fit!

So it means that 148 x 210 A5 Pupitre Clairefontaine notepads fit too! Yipeeee!

Yay! Thanks for the enabling! I'm going to order today!

I'm sorry to be confusing, I did mean I want to remove the ring mechanism and place the ARC inside the FJN. :-)

I use the ring mechanism and a notepad. I slipped the back of the notepad onto the Plastic Leaf with the help of an elastic slipped to the top width.

I bought a Filofax compatible punch and the 3 ring holes correspond to 3 of the ones on the FJN mechanism, so theoretically, you could use your Dodo-pad planner with the ring mechanism and the Arc as an extra notebook.

Depending on the size compatibility, you could use my method of using an elastic but lengthwise to secure your Arc to the FJN Plastic Leaf.

I use the FNJ with an A5 notebook I bought in Germany. I took out the Tom Binh rings, and just slip one side of the cover of my notebook into the pocket under the pen holders. It holds tightly, and I just let the cover on the other side hang loose.
    Your Arc notebook ought to fit, too. I did this because I already use European A5 paper, and didn't want to have to stock/buy another size of paper.
    In another post someone gave a link to a Staples punch which fits the Tom Binh rings, if you want to keep them. You may be able to get this in Europe, too, since it is apparently the same as some of the commercial planner hole-spacing.
    good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0